Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...d=Specialized&Model=Stumpjumper+FSR&Type=bike

vs.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2008&Brand=Jamis&Model=Dakar+XC&Type=bike

Alright folks... I'm new here, but have lurked as a pre'reg for a few months off n on. I know there are alot of factors to consider in the purchase of a bike but thought I'd ask the all knowing mass here at MTBR what they feel is the better overall purchase of the two bikes listed above.

Consider them the same price. I know the Spec will need new shoes soon, and I'd like to get disc brakes put on perhaps. It's also showing more wear and tear than the Jamis, which stands to reason as it's 5 years older.

Use matters I know and honestly. It's mainly for commute/street/light trail riding. More for the try to get back into riding and have a bike capable of taking the brunt of the bumps and bruises and hopefully have me as the weak point not the machine.

Please feel free to ask questions. I am 5"11 @ 170-175 lbs. I've got a 32" inseam and long arms.

As I said I'd like to start riding a bit more and hope that a new ride will help nudge me to get out more often.

Thanx in advance,

DM

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ok I don't own either one, but have ridden both. My choice IF they were in equal condition would be the fsr mainly because the horst link suspension is much better than the linkage on the jamis. But If the fsr is in really bad shape then go with the jamis because it's not at all a bad bike I just prefer the fsr

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying to figure out why the Jamis Dakar XC has a different rear suspension setup then any of the other models. Wasn't sure about that.

The SJ as I said is older and has more "love" marks on it, but is solid overall. I just wasn't sure about the suspension wear and tear as well. Though maybe all that would be needed would be a good overhaul for the front and rear with some new fluid.

It looks like the SJ is also a few pounds lighter though that's not a major factor for me.

Thank you for the input Destin.

DM

·
Registered
527 Posts
The difference in suspension design is all in where the pivots are located. The fsr suspension puts the rear pivot below the axel and the jamis places it above it. Having it below the axel makes for a more active suspension that reacts better to small chatter bumps and square edged bumps than any other design on the market. It also makes for less pedal bob and a more efficient ride.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'd get the Jamis only because its considerably newer and you said they are priced the same,Jamis makes a good bike.

However as been mentioned,
Its hard to beat the ride quality of a FSR suspension and if the Stumpy was an 08 as well i would'nt hesitate to recommend it over the Jamis.

I have a 05 stumpjumper and my brother a 06 Dakar,noticable differance in ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.