Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Police619 said:
if I have any problems with the rear end (crack/break/twist), what are my options BESIDES getting a whole new frame?
Mine was pretty bombproof, for a budget freeride bike. What did my frame in was using 2.5 Tioga DH Pro tires during a time that I hit Cypress bike park, Whistler and did a ton of local hard riding in quick succession last summer: the pivots developed some play from loosening up and I was not proactive about tightening them, particularly at Whistler. The 2.5s ended up constantly brushing the inside edge of the chainstay and that, combined with the BC mountain dust, sandpapered a groove into the left chainstay and in which I found a crack at the end of the summer. Stick with 2.3s, keep your pivots tight and you'll be fine. Otherwise, you'll need to hit up message boards and Ebay for spare frame parts as I tried to get a new chainstay from IH and they said they didn't have any.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
I sold the shock and all of the rear triangle except the broken chainstay to a guy in Oregon for $25 last fall after he blew his shock down at Blackrock, and the replacement chainstay IH sent me was an '04 and the wrong size so I gave that to a guy in Canada gratis since IH refunded the $75 I had paid for an '03. Beyond what I've already posted in the other thread, not really. BTW, I recommend getting a 6" travel single crown fork, 20mm thru-axle or regular qr, since the Psylo that came on the bike was under sprung and made 4.5" of travel on it's best day and made the frame feel weird. I put a dual crown 7" fork on the bike and it was smooth like butter, but it took the tight turning smooth singletrack vibe away and made the bike more of a downhill sled. Wheelworld and Pricepoint and others are selling the '05 Marzochhi Z1 FR 3 fork around 270 right now, perfect match IMO.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Police619 said:
So when you had problems IH was "cool"? They sent you a '04 rear to "replace" the old one?

You've been a great help, more than you know.....
Uuuuuuuuuuh, no. Since the situation regarding the SGS, and a subsequent one regarding my Yakuza Kumicho floating brake were ultimately addressed and corrected I don't want to stir the pot online, but IH's customer service...

From now on I will just go through my dealer if I have a problem.

When I get my next bike, it will be a Transition. Sick bikes for all riding styles, great customer service and rider owned and operated. I own a Yakuza Kumicho and a Yakuza Waka-Gashira now, both bought last fall, and I am kicking myself for not having just pooled my money and bought a Preston FR or a Dirtbag. Check it: http://www.transitionbikes.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.