Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a used, like new '03 Rockhopper Comp worth? I bought one on ebay for $730+ shipping and thought it was a great deal. I since found a Stumpjumper for a good deal and decided to buy it and wanted to sell the Rockhopper. I have had no luck trying to sell it for $775 + shipping on mtbr, so I 'm wondering what is it worth? Previous owner said the bike had 300 miles, mostly road. The bike looks brand new, so I thought I could sell it quickly. I have only had the typical scam offers and one offer for $500. I was hopping to recover my cost, but would be willing to pay for the shipping. Is now a bad time of year to sell?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
I don't know what to tell you about a used '03, but since a friend just bought an '04 Rockhopper Comp new @ our LBS for <$700 I'd say you're gonna take a hit on this one.

Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
I bought a rockhopper comp FSR used

well not really used by from some kid who never really rode it. Now that I think about it he probably stole it but that is none of my business.

It is a 2003 Rockhopper FSR and I paid him $600 for it. I think I got a steal consifering the best price i saw for a 2004 FSR was $1,000. And it was my size too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Philo Beddoe said:
Now that I think about it he probably stole it but that is none of my business.
As a person who has had 2 high end bikes stolen your nonchalance is awe inspiring :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I hope my prized rides went to someone so unincumbered by conscinece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Your $200 tuition in "Buying 101". Learn from it.

Brooks04 said:
What is a used, like new '03 Rockhopper Comp worth? I bought one on ebay for $730+ shipping and thought it was a great deal. I since found a Stumpjumper for a good deal and decided to buy it and wanted to sell the Rockhopper. I have had no luck trying to sell it for $775 + shipping on mtbr, so I 'm wondering what is it worth? Previous owner said the bike had 300 miles, mostly road. The bike looks brand new, so I thought I could sell it quickly. I have only had the typical scam offers and one offer for $500. I was hopping to recover my cost, but would be willing to pay for the shipping. Is now a bad time of year to sell?
How could you have paid so much? Didn't you do any research at all to find out how much the bike was worth? And now you are trying to sell it for even more than the excessive price you paid. In other words, to be blunt, you are trying to find someone even more clueless than yourself.

Did you even check out what the MSRP was? Had you looked on Mtn Bike Review product reviews you would have seen 10 reviews, most of them from the USA and listing the price they paid.....NEW....without Shipping...

The prices they paid new for your bike ranged from $670 to $820 and no doubt that included a extended service warrantee where they give you free tuneups for a year or more. The average of the one's sold in the USA was $770 with NO shipping.

One formre rental was sold used on Ebay for $465. How used is anyone's guess but since it was only 1 year old, I doubt I doubt it was completely thrashed since top end riders would not be renting that model. Probably got rented max a hundred times for about 15 miles each time......total max 1,500 miles.....Probably less.

A 2004 RH Comp sells for $710 but may have different components.....but buyers on Ebay may not know that.....so they are hardly going to pay more for a year old used bike than they can get a brand new one for......without shipping...

Can you see the picture now? ; You blundered and are unlikely to find someone else as naive as you were.

Take the $500 and let them pay the shipping.....You might get $600 but if you expect them to pay the shipping, then I doubt you'll get that much.
Or take $530 and they pay the shipping. You only lose $200. Not that bad.

Have you learned a lesson in all of this? Remember it for life in all your future purchases such as for autos and homes, and you will have learned a cheap lesson for a couple hundred bucks tuition.......that may save you $20,000 down the road on some really important purchases.

I'd still like to know your thought process when you bid $730 plus shipping for the bike.
Tell me......Why did you pay so much? and did you investigate at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Actually I am wrong

I remembered he gave me the paperwork and all the manuals that came with it. So I miss-spoke. The thought just crossed my mind while I was posting because it was brand new and the frame didn't seem to fit the kid. He was 6'2 and the frame is a medium.But that could be the bike shops bad.

Plus it was never used ( it had the reflectors on the seatpost still). I lucked out. Believe me if it really was stolen the kid wouldn't have let me come to his house to pick it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
The first rule buying a like new bike of the same model year is never pay more than 70 percent of retail on EBay. Unless there is something special about the bike most of them go for about that 70 percent figure. If its a year old I think you can almost go to 50% retail assuming its had a few miles put on it. Theres a few bike that will break the rules like the Epics and SC's and some of the down hill rigs. I think $500 is a pretty good selling price and if you got some good use out of it the depreciation isnt too bad. I bought a four year old Stumpjumper for less than a quarter of original retail. The depreciation/wear and tear was $400 per year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Brooks04 said:
What is a used, like new '03 Rockhopper Comp worth? I bought one on ebay for $730+ shipping and thought it was a great deal. I since found a Stumpjumper for a good deal and decided to buy it and wanted to sell the Rockhopper. I have had no luck trying to sell it for $775 + shipping on mtbr, so I 'm wondering what is it worth? Previous owner said the bike had 300 miles, mostly road. The bike looks brand new, so I thought I could sell it quickly. I have only had the typical scam offers and one offer for $500. I was hopping to recover my cost, but would be willing to pay for the shipping. Is now a bad time of year to sell?
I think you got a bad deal and you will have a hard time finding someone as poorly informed as you were initially to buy it for such an outrageous price. The bike is about 2 model years old and with no warranty since it's nontransferable. I advise not making another purchase like this unless you want to at least do some very minor research first. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I'm just being honest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry...

Sorry, I didn’t mean to freak anyone out over my purchase decisions. If I loose $100-200 on the Rockhopper (RH) it is no big deal. As far as my thought process I had looked for several weeks and this was the best deal I found. I had no such luck at my local dealers on deals as some of you have mentioned. I also did not know Specialized made a ’04 RH. I do know they make a similar ’04 FSR XC which list for $1250. So to me $730 seemed like a fair deal for this model given its “like new” condition. As luck would have it, soon as I bought this RH I found a ’03 Stumpjumper Comp in mint condition, which is what I really wanted.

I know I should have waited, but after several weeks of nothing close to what I wanted I went for the RH. Of course I would rather not loose money, but I paid $900 for the Stumpjumper, so even if I loose around $200 on the RH I still come out cheaper than I would have it I bought a new Stumpjumper Comp. I’m sure everyone here thinks I am really clueless now for paying $900 on a ’03 Stumpjumper, but I seem to have no luck finding the deals many of you mention in the size I need.

Lessons learned. Do not post here unless I am willing to be blasted and insulted for my thoughts and decisions. Keep reading all these posts and gain all the great wisdom many of you seem to have here on this forum. Best lesson of them all - the analogy of this cheap lesson I should learn here in saving me $20,000 on my really important future purchases such as homes and autos. Just maybe I would look at NADA or KBB listing for a car, and as far as for a home, I’m not even going to go there. I will be sure to always come here for pricing on bikes since many of you folks seem to know it all.

Well off to ebay and mtbr classifieds I go for more clueless poorly informed purchases. I’ll be sure to keep everyone here posted on my future purchases :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Wow, talk about passive agressive post of the week

Brooks04 said:
Sorry, I didn’t mean to freak anyone out over my purchase decisions. If I loose $100-200 on the Rockhopper (RH) it is no big deal. As far as my thought process I had looked for several weeks and this was the best deal I found. I had no such luck at my local dealers on deals as some of you have mentioned. I also did not know Specialized made a ’04 RH. I do know they make a similar ’04 FSR XC which list for $1250. So to me $730 seemed like a fair deal for this model given its “like new” condition. As luck would have it, soon as I bought this RH I found a ’03 Stumpjumper Comp in mint condition, which is what I really wanted.

I know I should have waited, but after several weeks of nothing close to what I wanted I went for the RH. Of course I would rather not loose money, but I paid $900 for the Stumpjumper, so even if I loose around $200 on the RH I still come out cheaper than I would have it I bought a new Stumpjumper Comp. I’m sure everyone here thinks I am really clueless now for paying $900 on a ’03 Stumpjumper, but I seem to have no luck finding the deals many of you mention in the size I need.

Lessons learned. Do not post here unless I am willing to be blasted and insulted for my thoughts and decisions. Keep reading all these posts and gain all the great wisdom many of you seem to have here on this forum. Best lesson of them all - the analogy of this cheap lesson I should learn here in saving me $20,000 on my really important future purchases such as homes and autos. Just maybe I would look at NADA or KBB listing for a car, and as far as for a home, I’m not even going to go there. I will be sure to always come here for pricing on bikes since many of you folks seem to know it all.

Well off to ebay and mtbr classifieds I go for more clueless poorly informed purchases. I’ll be sure to keep everyone here posted on my future purchases :)
Really, man, breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth, and go to your happy place.

Now, I'll admit that some of the others around here were a little heavy-handed in their responses, but really, if you paid $20 over retail plus shipping for a 2-model-year-old used bike, then expect to get $45 more, selling it on a web-page that is frequented by people that not only bike a lot, but when they're not biking discuss biking on the internet then you really have to expect to take a little crap.

Can you tell me one thing? Are you maybe talking about a Rockhopper FSR Comp. That I could understand paying $730 for. That, however, is a totally different bike than the Rockhopper Comp.

~Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oops, it is a FSR Rockhopper Comp

Thank you for pointing this out. Yes it is the FSR Rockhopper Comp. I can now see why many think I am clueless. I guess everyone here now knows I am not the brightest person. Thanks again for pointing this out as I don't feel quite as dumb with my purchase. Wish I could take back a few things I said in my previous post.

Dreamerof1 said:
Really, man, breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth, and go to your happy place.

Now, I'll admit that some of the others around here were a little heavy-handed in their responses, but really, if you paid $20 over retail plus shipping for a 2-model-year-old used bike, then expect to get $45 more, selling it on a web-page that is frequented by people that not only bike a lot, but when they're not biking discuss biking on the internet then you really have to expect to take a little crap.

Can you tell me one thing? Are you maybe talking about a Rockhopper FSR Comp. That I could understand paying $730 for. That, however, is a totally different bike than the Rockhopper Comp.

~Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
And the 03 Stumpjumper.....HT or FS?

Brooks04 said:
Thank you for pointing this out. Yes it is the FSR Rockhopper Comp. I can now see why many think I am clueless. I guess everyone here now knows I am not the brightest person. Thanks again for pointing this out as I don't feel quite as dumb with my purchase. Wish I could take back a few things I said in my previous post.
OK.....and is the 03 Stumpjumper a hardtail or a full suspension?

$900 for a 03 HT is terrible deal used......but perhaps OK for a full suspension...

Perhaps you aren't quite as dumb as we all think....... NO, let me correct that, YOU still are as dumb for NOT including all the proper details and wasting all our time.....

OR perhaps we're the dumb ones for responding to this thread.

NO, I've decided, YOU are the dumb one..... Why? Because even if you did pay a fair price on Ebay, you still did not do the proper homework prior to making the deal.
Always know what the fair market price is for the item you are looking for.
Be very very very very careful when you go looking for a car.... You sound like a "sitting duck" for a typical shark saleman. They will twist your head around and have you leave the showroom with a with a empty wallet and no shirt on your back... You will then be the proud owner of the only $25,000 Geo Metro Ltd. Edition....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I accept - I am the dumb one

I paid $900 + $23 shipping for a '03 FSR Stumpjumper. I paid $730 + $50 shipping for the '03 FSR Rockhopper.

I certainly apologize for not stating this was a FSR Rockhopper on my original post to this forum. It was an innocent oversight on my part and I did not intend to waist anyone's time. I also regret the smart-ass post I wrote last night, but at that time I did not realize everyone was thinking I was talking about a hard tale bike and it just made no sense to me some of the harsh statements and insults towards me. At least my smart-ass post got a response that made me realize I had mistakenly left off "FSR" in my original post.

I went ahead and posted the '03 FSR Rockhopper on ebay last night since I had no luck in the 3 weeks it was listed on MTBR. My starting bid was set at $700 + $50 shipping and I added the "buy-it-now" option at $785 + $50 shipping. Much to my surprise someone chose the buy-it-now this morning and is going to pay cash and pick it up at my home. So it looks like I will come out OK on this one.

I have always appreciated the information and knowledge I have gained on MTBR forums. I hope there are no hard feelings towards me, as I have none against anyone here. Life is just to short.


Chester said:
OK.....and is the 03 Stumpjumper a hardtail or a full suspension?

$900 for a 03 HT is terrible deal used......but perhaps OK for a full suspension...

Perhaps you aren't quite as dumb as we all think....... NO, let me correct that, YOU still are as dumb for NOT including all the proper details and wasting all our time.....

OR perhaps we're the dumb ones for responding to this thread.

NO, I've decided, YOU are the dumb one..... Why? Because even if you did pay a fair price on Ebay, you still did not do the proper homework prior to making the deal.
Always know what the fair market price is for the item you are looking for.
Be very very very very careful when you go looking for a car.... You sound like a "sitting duck" for a typical shark saleman. They will twist your head around and have you leave the showroom with a with a empty wallet and no shirt on your back... You will then be the proud owner of the only $25,000 Geo Metro Ltd. Edition....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
$55 profit!! Now the new buyer is the rube

Brooks04 said:
I paid $900 + $23 shipping for a '03 FSR Stumpjumper. I paid $730 + $50 shipping for the '03 FSR Rockhopper.

I certainly apologize for not stating this was a FSR Rockhopper on my original post to this forum. It was an innocent oversight on my part and I did not intend to waist anyone's time. I also regret the smart-ass post I wrote last night, but at that time I did not realize everyone was thinking I was talking about a hard tale bike and it just made no sense to me some of the harsh statements and insults towards me. At least my smart-ass post got a response that made me realize I had mistakenly left off "FSR" in my original post.

I went ahead and posted the '03 FSR Rockhopper on ebay last night since I had no luck in the 3 weeks it was listed on MTBR. My starting bid was set at $700 + $50 shipping and I added the "buy-it-now" option at $785 + $50 shipping. Much to my surprise someone chose the buy-it-now this morning and is going to pay cash and pick it up at my home. So it looks like I will come out OK on this one.

I have always appreciated the information and knowledge I have gained on MTBR forums. I hope there are no hard feelings towards me, as I have none against anyone here. Life is just to short.
Hey, you've just made a $55 profit.......Now you are a unethical price gouger in stead of a dumb guy......LOL

Yes, we all misunderstood the actual model you were selling......
And then, per usual, we all clobbered you about the head with scorn....Normal response.

Don't give the nature of our responses a second thought. The way to think about all responses here is as if you were in high school in the guys locker room and said something that may or not have been stupid. In that situation there are always a ready supply of guys just waiting to tell you how much of a dork you are.... and you should just laugh it off....or the guys will give you the "business" for the rest of the year...

With the new facts, it sounds like both of your purchases were just fine...
Take what you read here with a grain of salt........
At least we don't correct spelling..

Have fun on your new bike. I have a friend with the same model and he loves it.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top