Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm currently training to race later this year in a mountain bike road racing series. I currently have a stock 03 Rockhopper Sport that the digital bathroom scale says weighs 28lbs. So far the only change I've made is putting on 26x1.25 Specialized Fat Boy tires. I'd want to get the bike as close to 25lbs as possible without going into the money pit too deep. I'm changing the cassette to an Ultegra and maybe use a road RD. I'm thinking of changing the stock riser bars to flats, maybe carbon, change the stock stem and seat post. Do you guys have recommendations? I was thinking of getting a Sette stem, good choice? Should I look to Easton for bars and seat post? Also I need to replace the Manitou Axel Super fork with a rigid one. 26x1.25 are probably going to be the widest tires I'll be running, what's a good fork for my application? Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi,

Read my sig below. Dump that fork. My '05 came with a Manitou Axel Comp (100mm) and it was a boat anchor at 6lbs.! I swapped it out with a 3.2lb Skareb I picked up on ebay for $75. Make sure you get an 80mm as that's what your bike came with so you don't throw off the geometry.

Sette Edge Stem - $25 and only 126g - great deal. Also look at their handlebars if you want to keep costs down (Sette FX Carbon - $40 (138g) or the Sette Vector 2014 Bar - $10 (160g).

Stock saddle? Probably pretty heavy at 400g or so. Look at swapping that out. I'd stay away from a road cassette and Rear Derailleur. I don't think the road cassette would be too compatible (but I could be wrong). I'd swap it out instead with an SRAM PG-850 Cassette (2005 model about $22). Also, it looks like Nasbar.com is selling Deore LX Rear Derailleurs for $35.

Longer term upgrades would also be your crankset/BB and a new wheelset.

The above changes could save you at least 4lbs with the fork saving you almost 3.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions pspycho. I was actually looking to get rid of a suspension fork since the rides are on pavement, but maybe I should look at just a lighter suspension fork. The road cassette should work, I've done it on my Jamis. I'll probably just keep my RD until it breaks then replace it with something else.

Thanks for the opinion on the sette stuff. Any suggestions on a setapost? How do you like your LX cranks. Was the change worth it?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your welcome.

I'm liking the LX cranks ($50 on nashbar). These are a unique model, so if you order them, you have to get the correct ES-51 Shimano Bottom Bracket in 68x121 or 73x126.
I ordered the upgraded ($40) Specialized Seatpost from their website. It's quite a bit lighter. I've heard great things about the Thomson's, but I'm not putting too much energy in searching to save a few grams in the seatpost.

Definitely go with the lighter suspension fork. My Skareb also has a lockout on one of the stanchions. Lock it out for the road, etc. I made $75 when I sold my Axel Comp on ebay. Give it a shot if yours is still in good shape.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Say I have the same Rockhopper you guys have. Did your Manitou Axel Comp leak oil at all? I want to get rid of it since its not worth a damn and I want somthing with a lock-out. Climbing on that fork is hell since all it does is flex with each pedel stroke I take.
How much farther can I go past 100mm on the fork? Can I take out a spacer to fit a taller fork?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only had the bike for a month. I bought it from the LBS owner's son, hardly ever ridden. As far as I've seen it doens't show any evidence of ever leaking before. I'd rather it had a lockout as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Greebler said:
Say I have the same Rockhopper you guys have. Did your Manitou Axel Comp leak oil at all? I want to get rid of it since its not worth a damn and I want somthing with a lock-out. Climbing on that fork is hell since all it does is flex with each pedel stroke I take.
How much farther can I go past 100mm on the fork? Can I take out a spacer to fit a taller fork?
Mine didn't leak, but I didn't have it on the bike all that long either. If you swap out the fork for a higher quality one, you'll enjoy a more true 100mm of travel. The geometry of the bike only supports 100mm fork. You'd throw that off by installing anything with more than 100mm of travel (like 130mm). I really like the 100mm Manitou Skareb Super I installed. It's an air fork (lighter) vs. coil, and it does have a lockout. I would definitely recommend swapping out that boat anchor (6lb.) Axel Comp for a lighter air sprung fork.
Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a sticker on the side of the fork that says 80" convertible or something like that. What exactly does that mean? Is it a 80mm or 100mm fork?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here is my ideas on light rockhoppers. I built mine for less than $600 (including the bike) when I got back into riding again this year.

Wheels and tires: WTB laser lites w/ Kenda Karmas (1700g wheels w/ light tires for $200
Fork: switched from the AXEL to a Manitouc SX-R I had laying around, saved 3 lbs $free
Bar: ec70 120g on sale for $50
Seat: FSA something or other 185 grams $35
stem: sette something 120 grams $20
cassette: SRAM something on sale that was light

I left the drivetrain stock as it was all deore and lx 9spd except the cassette and am in the 24-25lb range depending which bathroom scale I put it on (no I am not a true weight weenie). All done w/ EBAY, pricepoint and Bob's Bicycles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts