Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 XLT that broke where they all seem to break at the chainstay right behind the main pivot. I called Jamis directly since I bought the bike used and in another state before I moved. They connected me directly to David, the warrantee manager. He said he didn't even need to see the part and I'd just have to have a Jamis dealer file the warrantee.

I went to Performance Bike locally and seems that the communications are quick! I was told everything was taken care of. All in a span of 2 days. I still have yet to show anyone my bike. So now, I'm waiting for the part and I guess I'll take my bike in to the shop when they call.

Assuming the time for the part to get in isn't outstandingly long, I think THAT is excellent service. I guess I'll post an update.

Anyone think it's worth it to keep a spare swing arm around (I'd order/pay for it) if I'm planning a bike trip to moab from Baltimore?

REEK

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
it's usually pretty easy to get quick, painless service when the problem is well documented. I'm sure the first few people to report the problem had to provide proof of the breakage. But after zeveral dozen I'm sure they just started shipping out the replacement parts. But it's good to hear that they are taking care of their customers. I ride a used 2000 Dakar and any time I hear a stray creak I get paranoid and start checking the BB area for cracks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you probably dont need an extra chainstay if the chainstay is a well built one

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=17506

in the post above you'll see pixz i posted of a old w/ cutouts and new one w/o them
if you get the stronger one i think it should be fine because i have used one for at least 5 months now of hard riding(like 3-4 foot drops and big bear)

ps; jamis customer service is not too bad, i broke the chainstay(w/ cutouts) near the pivot twice and each replacement took about a week to be shipped

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My broken chain stay....

Not going to be warranteed since I bought the frame used. So I ended up having to pay for a new stay (plus ordered a second one as a backup for my bike vacation).

As of now, still waiting for parts to arrive.

Sitting on the couch can actually get kinda comfy...... Now if I only had some cheesey poofs....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Reek said:
I'm still waiting for my new chain stay. Anyone else tell me how long I should wait before I start making phone calls?

REEK
my new chainstay took about one and a half weeks to arrive and i had a tracking number on it. i would suggest to see if you can get the tracking number on it or try to contact your LBS/ jamis for it

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely have to do that.

atomic50 said:
my new chainstay took about one and a half weeks to arrive and i had a tracking number on it. i would suggest to see if you can get the tracking number on it or try to contact your LBS/ jamis for it
I'm still without a chainstay. Fast approaching a month since this whole thing started. Not too happy but luckily I have other bikes to ride. I'm going throught the local Performance bike shop. Gotta say they're a lot better and helpful compared to a local "non-chain" Jamis shop I initially tried. They never call back or from what I can tell, care too much about getting things done. I never even got a reply from that shop when I told them I wanted to by a Manitou Swinger shock. "we'll call you" is the last I heard.

Anyway, I guess I call Performance tomorrow. Thanks.

REEk

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Reek said:
I'm still without a chainstay. Fast approaching a month since this whole thing started. Not too happy but luckily I have other bikes to ride. I'm going throught the local Performance bike shop. Gotta say they're a lot better and helpful compared to a local "non-chain" Jamis shop I initially tried. They never call back or from what I can tell, care too much about getting things done. I never even got a reply from that shop when I told them I wanted to by a Manitou Swinger shock. "we'll call you" is the last I heard.

Anyway, I guess I call Performance tomorrow. Thanks.

REEk
Ready for this? Took 4 months to get my SEATstay delivered. Jamis sent two chainstays (probably out of habit), and I got the run around so bad. It was over the winter when I was riding the road. As soon as the seatstay came in, I sold that POS (03 xlt 2) and it's four-times-broken pivot bearings.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
danK said:
Ready for this? Took 4 months to get my SEATstay delivered. Jamis sent two chainstays (probably out of habit), and I got the run around so bad. It was over the winter when I was riding the road. As soon as the seatstay came in, I sold that POS (03 xlt 2) and it's four-times-broken pivot bearings.
I just got a call from the guys at my local Performance bike shop. I knew there was a reason I liked them over my smaller non-chain LBS. Anyway, Jamis is out of the chainstays but will have more this coming week. Hope to have this thing straightened out before winter hits.

I still like this frame, not sure I'll sell it. Their XC models seem to do OK, maybe this frame is just meant to be a longer travel XC bike rather and a true drop-in free ride. In any case, it's going to be my XC bike from now on and I actually purchased a Giant AC 1 to satisfy my launch cravings.

REEK

·
I need a new name
912 Posts
Is this just a problem with XLTs? I have a 03 Dakar Sport and all this talk of cracked chainstays has me worried. What kind of riding are you doing to break this stuff? I'm sticking to XC stuff with an occasional trail jump.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
hillbilly_hank said:
Is this just a problem with XLTs? I have a 03 Dakar Sport and all this talk of cracked chainstays has me worried. What kind of riding are you doing to break this stuff? I'm sticking to XC stuff with an occasional trail jump.
I know the xlts suffered the broken chainstays before a supposed late-season fix. The year before the dakars had issues but came out with stronger CS, and that's what went on the late-model xlts.
I didn't take any jumps on mine. Just pure xc riding and climbing. 165 pounds.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Broken stay saga ends...

I think the XC models last year also had some problems but probably less notices since they were probably not ridden as roughly - unlike the XLT versions

I finally did get my chainstay a day ago. the little "cutout" in the front was filled in with aluminum in the newer "stronger" version. But I had to shell out $70 since warrantee didn't cover it. Sucks.

Anyway, they assure me I don't need to order a second stay as a back up. This one will last as they haven't had any breakage problems with the newer stay.

We'll see.

Still love my 03 XLT!!

REEK

·
I need a new name
912 Posts
I talked with a XLT owner yesterday and he said he has broken his chainstay but the replacement was much stronger. He said he has abused it much more than the original and its holding up great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hillbilly_hank said:
I talked with a XLT owner yesterday and he said he has broken his chainstay but the replacement was much stronger. He said he has abused it much more than the original and its holding up great.
Hank,
I also have an 03 Dakar Sport, and I called Jamis and asked the question. They told me that the Sport frames don't have the same breakage problem, and not to worry about it. On the other hand, my friend has a regular Dakar (02), that had a cracked lower swing arm but I don't know where. the LBS found it when trying to find a persistant clicking noise.

Steve.

·
I need a new name
912 Posts
tenex said:
Hank,
I also have an 03 Dakar Sport, and I called Jamis and asked the question. They told me that the Sport frames don't have the same breakage problem, and not to worry about it. On the other hand, my friend has a regular Dakar (02), that had a cracked lower swing arm but I don't know where. the LBS found it when trying to find a persistant clicking noise.

Steve.
My Dakar Sport had a noise as well. I greased the pivot where the chainstay joins the frame and it went away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my warranty

I bought a used 03 jamis dakar xlt 1 from someone in this forum about 9 months ago. It developed a crack about 3 months after I got it, called jamis, took it to the local performance and they DID warranty it. When asked where I got it I just said I didn't get it from this shop but it was SHIPPPED and ORIGINALLY purchased from an authorized dealer. It was packed, shipped, and ORIGINALLY purchased at an authorized dealer (the person that sold it to me gave me all reciepts etc which weren't necessary or used). They didn't ask me for an answer as to who I actually paid for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.