Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my dad has a sugar with a chain drop problem. I want to help him resolve the problem. It drops from the middle ring to the granny. It was shipped with theV3 chainring. The dealer replaced it with at V5. Then wow, it was perfect again. Then a few rides later, the problem came back. I hear that some of the sugars have a chainline problem, and this can be adjusted with an adjustable bushing. I think the next step is to go to the LBS and inquire about this. Other sugar owners, does this fix the problem? It would be great if we could resolve this problem with as little money as possible. I have also heard that the shock bolt position has effects on the drive train. Is this true? It is currently in the 4.1" position. I know this question has been asked before, and i have heard a lot of, sometimes conflicting, stories on resolving the problems. I do not think that upgrading to a $350+CAD XT crank is going to happen.

Sorry to bother you all again, but any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
284 Posts
rkj__ said:
Hey my dad has a sugar with a chain drop problem. I want to help him resolve the problem. It drops from the middle ring to the granny. It was shipped with theV3 chainring. The dealer replaced it with at V5. Then wow, it was perfect again. Then a few rides later, the problem came back. I hear that some of the sugars have a chainline problem, and this can be adjusted with an adjustable bushing. I think the next step is to go to the LBS and inquire about this. Other sugar owners, does this fix the problem? It would be great if we could resolve this problem with as little money as possible. I have also heard that the shock bolt position has effects on the drive train. Is this true? It is currently in the 4.1" position. I know this question has been asked before, and i have heard a lot of, sometimes conflicting, stories on resolving the problems. I do not think that upgrading to a $350+CAD XT crank is going to happen.

Sorry to bother you all again, but any info would be appreciated.
With the short fisher stays the chain has less space to make the transition then w/a longer stay bike. Depending on what rear hub you have, if there are enough threads for the cass. lock ring, you can sometimes fit a .5, thats .5, not 5, mm spacer behind the cass. this will move your chain line over for about $5 to $10 w/labor, $2 bucks if you do it yourself. I have been able to do this on many fishers with success. It does not work w/a mavic hub. Hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.