Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help I have a big problem, i can only keep one bike! help me decide. i live in chicago so most of my rides are flat twisty but i do look for hills. most hill climbs are about 4 stories high and not much else. rides are mostly single track, crushed limestone paths (sometimes 40 miles long mostly flat), lakefront paved paths, and forest preseve single tracks. in the future i plan on riding more downhill, longer cross country rides, higher drops, and hope to enter in a cross country race like Fat Tire Fest in Wisconsin or Palos Meltdown in Chicago and use my vaction time to ride anywhere i feel like it (we plan on doing these thing but sometimes never do). i have 1 year on the ASR and 1 month on the ASX. i have used most of the parts from my ASR on my ASX so i cannot ride each back to back. But have riden most trails with same tires, rims, and parts for an apples to oranges kind of comparison. Pros and Cons.
Looks: ASR wins (team colors, get compliments everywhere) ASX is orange no compliments but if i keep will have powder coated black or maybe team colors
Fit: ASX wins (just feels right, bike is a small) ASR (medium might be too big for me im 5'7")
weight: ASR but can put ASX on diet, weight of ASX helps with stability
flat terrian: ASR is a rocket but i enjoy pedeling the ASX less bob
uphill: ASR flies up, ASX i have no problem climbing with it just not as quick
twisties: ASX kills ASR (elevated chain stay allows me to push rearend of bike with my heel to help the rearend slide around turns in the mud)
downhill: ASX kills ASR (have gone down terrrian that i would never thought of with ASR)
confidence: ASX
improve skills: ASX will help me ride just about anything
my worries: ASX maybe too much bike for my riding style, while the ASR just seems right for it. can i make the ASX more like the ASR or is it just a waste of bike to do so? can the ASR be made more like the ASX or should i sell both and get a 575. if i keep the ASR should i keep the medium frame a use a short stem or find a small size?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would sell both and get a 575

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I love the AS-X. I hope sometime before Armageddon happens to be able to finish my AS-X build. Money hasn't been my friend this year so maybe tax time will afford me enough to finish this sweet bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i too love the ASX and leaning toward keeping or getting a 575. on the ASX i have run over train track rails, curbs about 4-5" high, and logs about the same size. i just sit back further on the seat and keep pedaling and the front of the bike will run up and over without any problem. on the ASR i had to prepare my self and jerk the handle bars up to get me over. i can also lean the bike more on turns then the ASR and not worry about what is in front of me because the travel will take care of it. how come none of the Yeti riders used the ASX. reading their bios they all rode 303, DJ, 4X, and 575. also looking at the Yeti website their employees mostly ride 575s.

·
EDR
10,143 Posts
YETI05 said:
also looking at the Yeti website their employees mostly ride 575s.
b/c the 575 is so much fun. It's just a good combo of a bike that can be built to pedal incredibly well (for a 6'' bike) or built more burly to handle the gnar. No one bike is perfect for everything. The 575 is a pretty good compromise for a one bike owner like myself.

The 575 is not as quick or nimble as a race bike like the ASR or nearly as stable as the ASX on the nasty stuff. It's in between, that's why it's so popular.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
EatDrinkRide has a great point. The 575 is a great bike for a more wider range of styles. The AS-X as wonderful a bike as it is, is a beast when it comes to weight. Just the frame and the Marz. 66 RC2 fork and the bike is already heavy let alone adding the rest of the parts.

With all things, you have to match your bike with the riding you want to do. For flat XC riding in the Midwest, an AS-X is probably overkill whereas a 575 would be more suitable. If I was riding downhill in a rugged mountain environment and especially if you are doing jumps and huge drops, the AS-X would fit the bill.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have an AS-X and a 575. The 575 would win if I were faced with the same decision. Then I would upgrade the 575 to fox 36's and DHX air. Still no substitute for the AS-X but thats what I'd do.You could probably sell/ trade your frame/ frames for a 575 frame and use your build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts