Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Can't swear to it, but...

Lucky13 said:
How do you remove stanchions from lowers? Removed foot nuts and pulled out the cartridges, but stanchions - no go. Something is holding them from the buttom. Eh?
Is there a snap ring on the inside at the bottom of the stanchion? I haven't stripped my '02 Monster down that far. The only CD manual that I have is an '04 model, and that Monster is somewhat different as far as I know. I notice that the '04 Super T has this snap ring...and I thought those models just used the little circlip on the top cap at the HSCV cartridge.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
On the '04

Lucky13 said:
Yeah, I think there is one, but how the heck do I remove it? I mean there has to be a way otherwise how do you change seals? It's on the very buttom, seems like on the outside maybe?
There is a metal "stop ring" referred to that is under the fork wiper and above the fork seal. It's like a big inner snap ring without eyelets for snap ring pliers. Motorcycle forks have these. On the '04 it looks like you can't drop the lowers until this is removed. I don't know if the '01 is like this, but it may be.

·
Pro Crastinator
12,044 Posts
verbatum straight from my manual......

pull the stanchion tube completey out of the slider.
pull strongly enough to overcome the resistance of the guide bushing of the stanchion tube to slide thru the slider bushing.

you actually have to pull pretty darn hard, but don't worry you aren't going to mess anything up. it just may seem like it. if it isn't coming out, you aren't trying hard enough...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.