Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I bought a new Wheelset for my Nashbar edition release (gray with light blue rear triangle). I went to install the wheels and the rear 148mm fits, but it looks like the Suntour Aion fork is not boost like the rear(weird). Is there any easy way to get around this or do I need to get a new front hub? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow that is kinda shocking, I almost got that bike before I found the DB 2017 Release on sale for $1480. Unfortunately short of getting a new hub or finding someone to trade for a non boost wheel, not much you can do going that direction.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the nashbar clutch with the same fork. Its pretty silly to have boost in the rear and not the front but its a cheap fork so its kind of expected. Unfortunately I do not know of a way to go from boost to non boost. There are a few "boostinator" kits out there but that's not your problem. What kind of wheelset did you get? Its probably going to be cheaper to get a new front wheel or hub rather than getting a boost fork. I have, however, seen take off pike RC forks on ebay sell for under 300.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the nashbar clutch with the same fork. Its pretty silly to have boost in the rear and not the front but its a cheap fork so its kind of expected. Unfortunately I do not know of a way to go from boost to non boost. There are a few "boostinator" kits out there but that's not your problem. What kind of wheelset did you get? Its probably going to be cheaper to get a new front wheel or hub rather than getting a boost fork. I have, however, seen take off pike RC forks on ebay sell for under 300.
I agree, I'd recommend going new fork. It might be more up front, but then you'll have a matching bike, a better fork, and better resale value. Like he said, you may get lucky and find a boost fork for cheap. I sold my Yari from my Release 1 for $350 last year. Also I know the Suntour upgrade program is usually for cheaper Suntour forks because the Aion is actually not bad, but maybe you can still use that method.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys, I bought a new Wheelset for my Nashbar edition release (gray with light blue rear triangle). I went to install the wheels and the rear 148mm fits, but it looks like the Suntour Aion fork is not boost like the rear(weird). Is there any easy way to get around this or do I need to get a new front hub? Any help would be appreciated!
What wheelset did you get for your R1, I'm thinking of getting a backup set for mine. My rear wheel is in the shop now getting a new cartridge Bering put in it. Thinking a backup set would be nice so I can still ride my bike instead of waiting for a repair.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not the Op but I just got a new wheelset for my Release 1 2017. I got a DT Swiss XM421 with DT350 hubs. Found them on eBay as takeoffs from a Yeti SB5 Turq for $307 shipped. Saved about 260g going to this wheelset and I'm not worried about my nova tech hub exploding anymore.

They are XD with a e13 cassette on them now. I now have my Blanchards hanging in my garage. I had a extra set of rotors, tires, and tubes (choose tubes, as I want these good to go even after they have been sitting for a year, didn't want to mess with sealant). I also had a 11-46 sunrise cassette laying around so a fully built wheelset is nice to have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not the Op but I just got a new wheelset for my Release 1 2017. I got a DT Swiss XM421 with DT350 hubs. Found them on eBay as takeoffs from a Yeti SB5 Turq for $307 shipped. Saved about 260g going to this wheelset and I'm not worried about my nova tech hub exploding anymore.

They are XD with a e13 cassette on them now. I now have my Blanchards hanging in my garage. I had a extra set of rotors, tires, and tubes (choose tubes, as I want these good to go even after they have been sitting for a year, didn't want to mess with sealant). I also had a 11-46 sunrise cassette laying around so a fully built wheelset is nice to have.
Good idea keeping tubes in backup set, I'll definitely do that also when I get my backups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.