Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm compiling a list of heavier casing tires, wondering if I've missed anything. The goal here is to look for tires in the 1100-1200g, dual ply (or similarly stiff single ply) similar to maxxis DD. Currently running an aggressor DD that I like, but want to see what other options are out there. All weights are for 29". Anyone have experience with the tires below compared to maxxis DD casing? Feel free to share

Here's the compiled list I have so far -

Maxxis aggressor DD
  • 120 tpi dual ply
  • 1150g

Specialized grid gravity
  • 60tpi dual ply
  • 1250g

E13 Enduro LG1
  • 120tpi dual ply aramid
  • 1150g

Vittoria Martello enduro
  • 120tpi dual ply
  • 1230g

Vittoria mazza enduro
- 120tpi dual ply 1300g

Kenda Pinner AGC
  • 60tpi dual ply
  • 1300g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
298 Posts
I also live in SoCal (Temecula) and use the Kenda Pinner ATC (1000g) on the front, after 3 1/2 months and riding 2-3 times per week (18-20 miles per ride) and the tires still look new. Not a single knob has lost any rubber and no sidewall damage. I plan on sticking with this as a front tire for the foreseeable future. I’m also thinking about running it as a rear as well.

I currently use the Hellkat ATC 2.4 rear (880g) and the back edge of almost every knob has partially torn off (very minimally, but easily visible). The Hellkat works great as a rear tire here, but I plan to move up to the AEC compound (1100g) to see if it will have better wear life.

· Registered
625 Posts
Kenda Hellkat AEC is the same tire as the AGC, just without the additional layer at the bead. Mine weighed 1110 grams and I couldn’t kill it.

I have the Michelin WE Racing lines and they came in a smidge over listed weight. See images of them on the scale in the Wild Enduro thread.

DH34 Bike Park Edition came in right below 1300 grams. Can’t remember the exact number but I think it was 1280 and 1290 for the set I have.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also live in SoCal (Temecula) and use the Kenda Pinner ATC (1000g) on the front, after 3 1/2 months and riding 2-3 times per week (18-20 miles per ride) and the tires still look new. Not a single knob has lost any rubber and no sidewall damage. I plan on sticking with this as a front tire for the foreseeable future. I'm also thinking about running it as a rear as well.

I currently use the Hellkat ATC 2.4 rear (880g) and the back edge of almost every knob has partially torn off (very minimally, but easily visible). The Hellkat works great as a rear tire here, but I plan to move up to the AEC compound (1100g) to see if it will have better wear life.
I don't think the AEC will last longer, probably not as long as the ATC. It uses the same softer compound as the AGC tires. Good to know it works out on the back though, I'll put that on the list

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Schwalbe Super Gravity and WTB Strong casings should also be on your list.
Good call. The hans dampf or big Betty would make a good rear tire, I think the MM wouldn't work as well in our hard pack terrain in SoCal.

Not that I'm a weight weenie, but the WTB tough casings are a tad heavy for my liking

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
No idea how heavy they are (except that they ARE heavy) but I was running a DD MaxxGripp Assegai on the front, and a DD MaxxTerra DHR2 on the rear. Not sure why these haven't been mentioned yet. I'm sure I must be missing something obvious...

· Registered
317 Posts
Kenda Hellkat AEC is the same tire as the AGC, just without the additional layer at the bead. Mine weighed 1110 grams and I couldn't kill it.

I have the Michelin WE Racing lines and they came in a smidge over listed weight. See images of them on the scale in the Wild Enduro thread.

DH34 Bike Park Edition came in right below 1300 grams. Can't remember the exact number but I think it was 1280 and 1290 for the set I have.
I have as et of DH34 park edition waiting in the wings, next in line for my bike's rubber. Curious how they handle SoCal.

· Registered
383 Posts
Good call. The hans dampf or big Betty would make a good rear tire, I think the MM wouldn't work as well in our hard pack terrain in SoCal.

Not that I'm a weight weenie, but the WTB tough casings are a tad heavy for my liking

FWIW I run a WTB Judge High grip/Tough 29x2.4 on the front of my bike. It is 1400g, but doesn't feel harder to push around than the EXO DHR2 it replaced.

Typical trails are loose over hard, dry, dusty with some granite rock mixed in. The Judge has been excellent.

· Registered
625 Posts
I have as et of DH34 park edition waiting in the wings, next in line for my bike's rubber. Curious how they handle SoCal.
I didn't get much time on them due to an injury. But for loose over hard, I suspect you are going to love them. Also, I believe they are 4x33 TPI, so should be pretty durable. My trails are winch and plummet. With the downhill side being known for destroying everything. I actually didn't notice much of a difference on the climb with the weight. Though I suspect someone riding rolling trails may feel otherwise.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
Might as well factor in DH considering most DH casings aren't much heavier. Some of the tires you're listing are DH casings just with different marketing. I usually just run DH because DH casings are often cheaper especially compared to DD.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Might as well factor in DH considering most DH casings aren't much heavier. Some of the tires you're listing are DH casings just with different marketing. I usually just run DH because DH casings are often cheaper especially compared to DD.
I read somewhere that DD was 120tpi and DH was 60. If true, I'd go with DD every day and Sunday, as 60tpi tires always feel like crap to me. The suppleness of the casing makes a big difference.

Edit, yep, DD is 2x120 and DH is 2x60.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
I read somewhere that DD was 120tpi and DH was 60. If true, I'd go with DD every day and Sunday, as 60tpi tires always feel like crap to me. The suppleness of the casing makes a big difference.

True but larger threads in a lower count tend to be more durable. I've pinched roughly 1 in 5 DD casings were as I've only pinched 1 DH casing ever. Don't get me wrong, I like DD, it's just not much lighter than DH, it's not as durable, and it's almost always more expensive. Only thing that makes sense to me as to why durability isn't as close to DH as it should be is because of the 120tpi. I suspect there's a reason why no DH casings use thread counts traditionally used on single plies. I like the stiff nature of DH casings so take my opinion for what it's worth. I'm currently running a DD in the back with exo in front. Great combo, but when I can get DH for 50 shipped which is pretty common unlike DD, I'm all over it.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No idea how heavy they are (except that they ARE heavy) but I was running a DD MaxxGripp Assegai on the front, and a DD MaxxTerra DHR2 on the rear. Not sure why these haven't been mentioned yet. I'm sure I must be missing something obvious...

They are! I just grouped them in with maxxis DD casing as a whole. The aggressor was listed as that's what I'm currently running

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

This is also what I was going for. The DD I'm running now feels better than the single ply 60tpi specialized I was running before. Wasn't sure how the dual ply 60tpi would feel.

· Registered
696 Posts

MagicMary Soft (softer then MaxxTerra) with SuperGravity casing is great rear tire and works on every condition, from hard pack to mud.
The UltraSoft version (similar to MaxxGrip) will give you even more grip, but not sure how long it will last as a rear tire...

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MagicMary Soft (softer then MaxxTerra) with SuperGravity casing is great rear tire and works on every condition, from hard pack to mud.
The UltraSoft version (similar to MaxxGrip) will give you even more grip, but not sure how long it will last as a rear tire...
I think even maxxterra in the rear is too soft for what I ride, so schwalbe's soft may be too soft. The aggressor DD dual compound is better and I don't notice any decrease in traction from a maxxterra as a rear tire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.