Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to keep it under a 1000 for the set.

Where are some places to start looking and what should I be looking for? I'm currently 240, but will be sub 210 before next summer and the riding I will do then. Plan to ride all mountain and some downhill parks.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,773 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
27.5? 29er? how wide?

lots of threads on current rims/wheelsets here. start reading. Wheels and Tires - Mtbr.com

these rims are pretty popular. https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon...e-hookless-tubeless-compatible-strongest.html i think Nextie also has some burly carbon rims in the same price range.

I'd stick with Hope, DT Swiss 350, or Bitex/BHS hubs.

I'd also go with 36 double butted spokes f/r and brass nipples.

that'll get you a pretty sweet wheelset at ~$1k
Oops, 27.5, that would help. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet. :)

I will get to reading, thanks for the help.

As for hubs, I have silent hubs now and like it, what are the super loud hubs I have heard others riding on the trails? One guy sounded like he was riding on a swarm of bees.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have I-9's and a set of Hope Fatsno. I-9's are quite a bit louder, more of a buzz than a typical freehub. Shimano's and DT Swiss are pretty quiet.

I've used NOX and Light-Bicycle rims with good results so far. They end up right at 1k for the set.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oops, 27.5, that would help. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet. :)

I will get to reading, thanks for the help.

As for hubs, I have silent hubs now and like it, what are the super loud hubs I have heard others riding on the trails? One guy sounded like he was riding on a swarm of bees.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I just got some 29" nexties 33mm out 26mm in, asymmetrical with dt competition spokes and dt 240 boost hubs for $940 usd off nexties site. They rate them for 160kg not sure on that but they are for sure much stronger than their wheels for 120kg. They are in the mid 1600g range. Pumped!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts