Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ashwinearl said:
No offense but you'd probably get passed by a rigid hardtail in some XC parts of the trails. My hollowpoint kicks butt over my hardtail for the most part, but the improvements diminish rapidly as the trail conditions get easier and become more hardpack, smooth trails.

Smooth twisty trails is the one area where the hardtail shines over my Full suspension, and this is compared to an HP set up in 3.75" rear with a 80mm or 100mm XC front fork. So compared to a 5" rear/120-140mm front fork I imagine that the hardtail would be even better.

If you want to improve your XC performance realize that it may come at the expese of your allmountain/trail performance. You can't do both and it seems like you're striving for a middle ground.

Wheels, tires, tubes will probably do the most to liven up the bike. Yet you still need a strong wheel for your trail riding. Maybe a DT swiss wheel /Velocity VCX rim with Stans tubless conversion might be a good middle ground. Maybe a 2.1 tire in the rear but keep a 2.2-2.3 in front?

Stick with the shortest travel fork that the frame was designed to accomodate. One with platform like an SPV or FOX or motion control will help make it feel tighter/quicker.
Bought this bike for mountain trail riding with some XC about 7 weeks. Climbs & DHs awesome but when I hit the XC part of the ride it feels a lot different. Very odd cause it actually pedals UH faster and easier than my last lighter XC bike. Originally the LBS had over filed the tubes with to much sealant. Having figured that out acceleration was improved. But I still would like more speed in the XC. I have tried adjusting down the pike u-turn & locking it out. Locking out may help but the fifth element shock doesn't have that option and according to DW most efficient when running the 25-30% sag. Feels like it is hugging the trail to tight in the XC where it needs to glide over. That might not be a good way of putting it but I am sure you know what I mean if you ride one.

The above quote makes a lot of sense but I would like to improve with what I have to work with first if possible and still not diminish bikes performance in other areas. Second choice would be a RCA or similar shock if that would help.
Let me know if you solved this.

·
Registered
420 Posts
take a lot of time with set up...

I just noticed there is a huge difference between too plush and active/firm. Yesterday
I set mine up perfect and it flew yet remained plush. I ride an 04, but it works the same.
I had it set up way too soft and while it pedaled ok, it really robbed me uphill. I think the fork was diving a lot.
The Minute I have is pickly with set up as well, but works great when you find the sweet spot.

·
Harky
159 Posts
broncbuster said:
Thanks just found out from the LBS.... Turns out I have a bad bb bearing so this should solve my lack of speed problem once fixed.
If you're still running the stock Cinders, try a lighter weight tire. It makes a huge difference in pedalling feel in the flats...
We traded emails last week talking about the XC Pro 2.1's. This may not be a suitable tire for you if you are an aggressive DH'er...but if you ride cautious to medium DH like I do, and keep your tire pressures up, you may like them.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
harky said:
If you're still running the stock Cinders, try a lighter weight tire. It makes a huge difference in pedalling feel in the flats...
We traded emails last week talking about the XC Pro 2.1's. This may not be a suitable tire for you if you are an aggressive DH'er...but if you ride cautious to medium DH like I do, and keep your tire pressures up, you may like them.
harky
I think you mean exchanged posts about the Cinder tires! I have taken off the Cinders and put on Continental Vertical and Gravity 2.35 tires, suppose to be about 130 grams lighter each. Can't say I noticed any speed difference though. I think in previous post I mentioned the rattlers in McDowell Park. Came close to running one over day before yesterday in Squaw Peak Park at dusk. I almost hit myself in the chin with my own knee. It wasn't all that funny but it was good for an adrenaline rush, dosage was a bit much though. You think it's a stick in the trail until it moves then OS!

·
Harky
159 Posts
broncbuster said:
harky
I think you mean exchanged posts about the Cinder tires! I have taken off the Cinders and put on Continental Vertical and Gravity 2.35 tires, suppose to be about 130 grams lighter each. Can't say I noticed any speed difference though. I think in previous post I mentioned the rattlers in McDowell Park. Came close to running one over day before yesterday in Squaw Peak Park at dusk. I almost hit myself in the chin with my own knee. It wasn't all that funny but it was good for an adrenaline rush, dosage was a bit much though. You think it's a stick in the trail until it moves then OS!
Bronc...Yeah...I saw the pic of your bike on another thread and I couldn't figure out which tires you were running...I didn't think they were the Cinders...maybe the Conti's...
Haven't seen any snakes in SoMo for at least a month...they must have migrated north to squaw peak! Say hi to them for me.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
harky said:
Bronc...Yeah...I saw the pic of your bike on another thread and I couldn't figure out which tires you were running...I didn't think they were the Cinders...maybe the Conti's...
Haven't seen any snakes in SoMo for at least a month...they must have migrated north to squaw peak! Say hi to them for me.
harky
The bad thing is as a result sometimes you get spooked by real sticks. A full grown man afraid of a stick / nothing to be proud of!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.