Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

this was my first MTB back in 2000. I learned to ride on this bike while in college in Brevard, NC. Lots of great times together. In 2013, I moved most of the parts to a Santa Cruz Blur LT2, and this frame sat in the garage. Now, just got a new to be 27.5 bike (devinci Django), so thought I would build the old Zaskar back up for a fun play around hardtail, for the pump track, smoother trails etc. canabelizing the Blur LT, The only things I think I’ll “need” are a fork and a seat post, but I’m sure there’ll be other things.

As for the fork, needs to be straight steerer tube, which limits options somewhat. If anyone has one for sale let me know. Here’s a couple I’m considering.

X Fusion Enix
Fox Talas 32

What do y’all think?
I’m also open to putting on a rigid fork if I can find one cheap that’s got disc brake mounts and good tire clearance (~2.3)

stay tuned...

·
Registered
78 Posts
View attachment 1909756
this was my first MTB back in 2000. I learned to ride on this bike while in college in Brevard, NC. Lots of great times together. In 2013, I moved most of the parts to a Santa Cruz Blur LT2, and this frame sat in the garage. Now, just got a new to be 27.5 bike (devinci Django), so thought I would build the old Zaskar back up for a fun play around hardtail, for the pump track, smoother trails etc. canabelizing the Blur LT, The only things I think I’ll “need” are a fork and a seat post, but I’m sure there’ll be other things.

As for the fork, needs to be straight steerer tube, which limits options somewhat. If anyone has one for sale let me know. Here’s a couple I’m considering.

X Fusion Enix
Fox Talas 32

What do y’all think?
I’m also open to putting on a rigid fork if I can find one cheap that’s got disc brake mounts and good tire clearance (~2.3)

stay tuned..
Manitou still makes 1 1/8 straight steer
View attachment 1909756

X Fusion Enix
Fox Talas 32

What do y’all think?

stay tuned...
manitou still makes a 1 1/8 straight steerer fork. I bought one on amazon 4 years ago for $200 and has 130 mm of travel.

·
dirtbag
1,513 Posts
The Xfusion Enix is a decent fork, I put one on a beater/loaner bike. Like KeithD42, also have a Manitou Markhor on another bike. Don't have anything negative to say but it's easy on the wallet for an air fork. If you want to go Rockshox, you can get a current model Judy or Reba with a straight steerer. I put a 80mm Judy on my GT Peace singlespeed winter bike. I'm pretty sure Fox has abandoned the 26"/straight steerer platform so the used market is your only bet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

got an X Fusion Enix and a carbon seat post.
Question on the Enix: the rebound adjuster just turns and turns forever, in both directions, and doesn’t seem to have any effect when cycling the fork. What’s up with that?
Also, how does one get that plastic thing on the bottom off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally made some progress on the zaskar build. it is now a fully functioning adult balance bike! (i.e. I can't find my crank puller tool so have to go get that done), once I get cranks, chain, and shifter cable on we should be ready to roll. Probably will want cut these 780 bars down a bit, they seem kinda crazy wide on this bike, and play with stem length, etc. Also may end up having to drop the travel down, it is at 120 on this fork, original was 100mm I believe....

The Blur getting taken apart:

The X fusion Enix I recieved had a broken damper, this got sent out quickly and seems to be working properly (haven't actually ridden it yet though).

One Snag: seat tube has a water bottle mounts, which are preventing my from dropping the seat as far as I would like to pump track, etc. Anybody know a good wall to get the bolt sleeves out?
Bike .jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
One Snag: seat tube has a water bottle mounts, which are preventing my from dropping the seat as far as I would like to pump track, etc. Anybody know a good wall to get the bolt sleeves out?
View attachment 1913239
These items are like mollies you have probably used mounting stuff on sheet rock walls, i.e. when installed the part on the inside of the tube when tighten down folds back on the inside of the seat tube. Don't know if I'm making any sense here but think of it as a molly, not the the plastic ones but the metal ones that you poke through sheet rock and then tighten them down prior to mounting anything.

That being said, the easiest way to remove them, is to take a large drill bit and slowly drill out the top of the insert so it can be removed. Once this is done you can take a punch and push the remaining part of the insert into the seat tube.

I've done this a number of times and it isn't that hard even if my instructions may make it seem that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts