Sun-Ringle Black Flag Pro 29 Wheelset

SunRingle Black Flag Pro 29

[Dec 10, 2012]
sprocket47

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong! Light and they look great.

Haven't discovered any.

I'm a big rider at 250 lbs. I ride xc single speed and these wheels are holding up very very well. They are lights, compared to the stock wheelset I replaced, and obviously strong if they can hold up my weight with some minor air and rocks. The tubeless set was also very easy on these rims.

Bontrager Rhythm 29

[Nov 08, 2012]
Josh

OVERALL
Strength:

Comes with everything you need to get rolling tubeless.
Comes with all front hub adaptors. They got stans there!
Hubs roll real smooth.
Freehub engagement is solid and precise.
Loud freehub (other trail users can hear you)
Durable once tuned up.
Bling factor!

My rear wheel came out of true after a couple rides. Wouldn't stay tensioned. Took it to the shop, where I got scowled a bit that I bought online. (Which I deserve) They said the dish and tensioning was off and they had to completely detension and retension the wheel. They also said there wasn't enough spoke prep on the spokes.

The front valve stem kept coming loose and leaking air. Put some blue locktite on the threads and haven't had any issues since.

Loud freehub (sucks if you are trying to sneak up on someone in a race)

I got a smokin deal on them online. After having the wheels tuned up after my initial problems, I've had zero problems with them. They've proven to be durable and reliable. They didn't have the snappiness I was hoping for, though switching to a racier tire from my GEAX Suagaros would prolly do the trick, but they still roll better than my stock wheels. The hubs are solid. Definitely a highlight of the wheels for me. Bearings are great and roll smooth. The freehub was a step up too. Nothing fancy, special, or awe inspiring, but solid. It doesn't stand out (other than how loud it is, which I like), just kinda exists back there being a solid workhorse. I have yet to have it skip on me when engaging the power like my old shimano would occasionally do. And they have some bling factor to boot! I would like to see the rim be just a smidge wider, but its acceptable.

I do think they have a smidge more lateral flex than my old 32h wheels. But I am 220lbs will say that it is very slight and its never been a distraction when bombing thru a technical or in making forward motion. Lets face it, I'm a big guy on a big wheel. There is going to be spoke flex no matter what.

I give them 5 chilis for value cause you can find them at awesome competitive prices online (compared to stans arch wheels), and I think they deliver more than the arch. Performance is probably very similar, but the Archs don't have nearly the bling, and you have to pay for hub adaptors, AND I believe they don't come with sealant. I give them 4 chilis overall because of my problems with them initially,but I have been very pleased with them since.

Deore hub/WTB speed disc rim

[Nov 03, 2012]
mtbdl

OVERALL
Strength:

strong, true, adapters for all forks are included, adapters for rear maxle are available, tubeless setup (valves, sealant, tape) included, golden hub bling, old school white spokes by the valve hole.

the 20mm fork adapters flop around when the front wheel is off the bike making it a real PITA to get everything lined up to put the wheel on. it was such a pain, I bought a new bike rack just so I wouldn't have to take the front wheel off.

these wheels have been maintenance free for one long, full season. They stayed true right out of the box through lots of hard riding. They can be used for any axle setup - QR, 15mm 20mm front * QR 142x12, 135x12 rear. I've run them both tubes and tubeless with no complaints.

[Apr 10, 2012]
RMillet

OVERALL
Strength:

Super-easy tubeless set up with Schwalbe tires, qr adapters, valves etc. included with purchase. Bearings roll for days out of the box, eyeleted rims (no nipples breaking like on Stans, or need to keep them lubed)

Weight was 1742g out of box with tape installed, no valves or skewers.

Be cooler if inner rim width were hair wider.

Got these babies 3 weeks ago and have logged about 300 miles. I mowed down my personal bests on two trails so far moving to these set up tubeless with Racing Ralphs. Compared to the wheels that came off my XXIX+G (xm280s with heavy tubed wire bead Saguaros), these are NIGHT AND DAY.....AND they roll smoother than WTBlaserdisc/X9s and Flow/StansHubbed rims I've ridden.

Spin up fast, climbs don't wear me out, I am coasting more carrying speed, and tubeless traction without the bounce of a higher pressure tubed tire.....well, it's freaking great. No noticeable lateral flex while riding or braking hard. Freehub is not annoyingly loud, but is loud enough to get trail runners/walkers or oncoming riders attention (which I like). Since the straight pull spokes do not contact each other, they resonate the ticks of the free hub.

I weigh 205....I rode these hard and after 300 miles they only needed a minor true-up (settling in). I found 33-34psi best for my weight, 32psi ok but have to watch my technique to not kiss the rim on roots. I just got back to my home trail today and its a ROOT FIESTA.......straight as an arrow they stay.

Hopefully these will last like my SingleTracks have!!!!! Sun makes a good rim. If their hubs keep rolling like they are now........I'll be stoked. I never thought I'd be able to feel such a difference in coasting speed......amazing.

Sun single track/XT hubs, WTB laser disc/X9, Flow/stans3.30, XM280/joytech/formulaQR

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.