Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest 29er Wheelset

ZTR Crest 29er Wheelset EnjoyThe benefits of a lightweight Stans rim without havingTo buildThe wheel,the ZTR Crest Disc Wheelset comes prebuilt!The hubs feature sealedcartridge bearings and a 3 pawl, 30 point engagement system at a veryreasonable weight. Enjoy great performance and a great price point. Stans ZTR Crest 29" rims Double butted 2.0/1.7 spokes ZTR 6 bolt disc hubs Cartridge bearings 3 pawl, 30 point engagement system Alloy nipples Approximate weight 1588 grams (749 gram

[Jul 13, 2016]
Robert Peeters

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, cheap and has stood the test of time.

You must run enough pressure in the tires to protect the rims. This isn't a issue me, but if you want ultra-low pressure better to pay extra for carbon rims. For reference I'm 155LB and run 22 front/26 back PSI without dents.

These are a favorite travel rims. Nice and light and not too expensive. Also my preferred wheel set for riding cyclocross courses on my MTB. Everything on them is standard incase something needs fixing not that anything has needed fixing. These by far are the best value for light rims/wheels.

[May 26, 2015]
Tehninjo0

OVERALL
Strength:

Reasonably light and cheap

Soft

I weigh in at 170lbs and with about 500 miles of riding I've had to true these wheels twice so far. Yesterday I hit a square rock that was less than a half inch high at about 15-20mph with 25 PSI in my rear tire. I got to walk home because in the process I dented the rim to the point where no amount of sealant would stop the leak. In 4 years of riding Crossmax STs on my previous bike I never had to true them once even though those wheels saw much more abuse and pressures as low as 18 PSI on a routine basis. That is worth a 100g penalty in my mind. I was able to "repair" the Crests by carefully straightening it with some pliers but intend to replace them ASAP.

Unless you are below 160lbs and ride only super smooth trails, stay far far away from these as they will cause you nothing but grief.

[Dec 30, 2014]
Uncle Rico

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight. Going from the stock wheel set on my Giant Anthem to these was a huge upgrade in the weight and performance of the bike.

None yet.

Picked up the wheelset despite several questionable reviews from the users on this website. I have only had a few rides but the performance is obvious. These wheels make the ride completely different. The ride is smoother, faster, handles better and the bike is just much more responsive and very agile. I will update the review if these "taco" but as of now, i am very happy with the purchase. I am 165lbs before any gear and do cross country trail riding at higher speed and some very rocky and technical and rocky.

[May 21, 2014]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and fast

Weak.

I'm 175lbs and have been riding for 30 years and the first time that I have had a wheel fold on me was yesterday. I was on a smooth trail coming into a right hand turn when the wheel folded on me. I have been in contact with Stan's and was told that my best bet is a discount rim from them or to get a rim on my own and rebuild because Stan's most likely will not warranty it. I am very disappointed to say the least.

[Jul 07, 2013]
djishai

OVERALL
Strength:

very light and extreemly fast

rear rim bent after 4 month.

little bit expenssive for the preformence

[May 22, 2013]
rmittel

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight

Front rim bent after third ride.
Stans customer service refused any warranty on wheel

Front wheel went out of true on third ride on very mellow XC riding.Rode Colorado Front Range trail Ridgeline. Definitely a non-technical XC trail. Rim was bent, could be trued to 98% but LBS said it would never stay true. At 172# I am definitely under the suggested weight limit. Stans basically said any type of riding could cause rim to bend. I guess this is just basically a race day wheelset.

[Feb 26, 2013]
Armando S.

OVERALL
Strength:

performance, weight, looks

This review is for the new 2013 model Crest 29er with stans 3.30 hubs.

I cant say enough good stuff so far about my wheels. I was hoping that after popping 500 on a set of wheels that the main thing would be to notice the difference out on the trail.

Mission accomplished! What a difference, Ive only had 5 rides on them so far but I felt the performance increase on the first ride. I have zero doubts about how much a nice set of wheels tires and set up tubeless helps with how the bike will perform. My riding style is straight cross country on hardpack to rocky singletrack terrain. And I took a gamble on the Crest because I did want the lighter set vs the Arch EX. I weigh 200lbs even, but I consider myself a smooth rider and dont' do jumps. Im 42 and those days are over for me. Too many nasty spills in my 23 years of MTB riding. But I do ride my bikes hard, riding for me is a workout so Im out there going at a good clip everytime unless Im with a group.

The main performance upgrade I have felt is in how much easier my bike "rolls" wether its on a descent, flowing singletrack, and of course climbing. Simply amazing feel.

I just hope they hold up due to my weight. Worth every penny. Im sold on these wheels, just like I will never go back to a 26er I just dont see how I could ever get another bike without taking my wheelset with me as well.

Wheels set up with S-works Fast trak 2.2 in the front and S-works Fast trak 2.0 in the rear. With Stans sealant of course.

[Sep 16, 2012]
bassamp

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

Soft

I bought these as race day only wheels for my Epic FSR 29er. These didn't hold up for me.
I weigh 178 pounds without shoes and water bottle--I never rode these with a hydration pack on. I ride XC only, although some stuff is technical and rocky.
On their third race I had a blowout and they took a hit that bent the sidewall and created a little flat spot. Got them repaired and trued and they got me through a few more races, until the exact same thing happened again in a another spot during pre-ride. I bent the sidewall back into place with a crescent wrench and eventually got my tire to bead. They did get me through the race the next day, but leak air sometimes at the bend. Talked to two LBS's that said they are not worth repair at this point. I will likely rebuild with Arch EX rims. These Crests lasted less than 1 year, and only about 5 or 6 races (plus pre-rides).

[Sep 16, 2012]
jersievers

OVERALL
Strength:

weight, and tubless set up.

Great value in a race set of XC wheels. Light riders can use every day if you wanted. They are light like road wheel and are a breaze to set up tubeless. I would highly recomend these wheels they are perfect. If you are a little heavier or want more all time XC wheels, the new Arch EX are only a little more in weight, but will last much longer and stay truer.

[Jul 03, 2012]
cozmomo

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light, very stiff, well built & a very good price. Extremely easy to install tubeless tires with a floor pump.
(FYI, I'm about 160-165lbs (72-75 kilos) with all my bike gear on.)

None so far. :-D

I literally just bought these wheels today. I went straight home & installed my rotors & tires & then went for a ride a few hours later. I am, so far, extremely impressed with this wheelset. They are very well engineered and obviously built for making tubeless setups easy. I am currently running a Stan's "Raven" tire in the rear & a Specialized S-Works fastrak up front. Both tires installed very, very easily. Following the online instructional video, I used a floor pump & felt no need to "pump hard & fast." I pumped to about 40psi to completely set the bead & then released the pressure & filled the tires with Stan's sealant via the Stan's syringe injector.(remove valve stem core & inject). The whole system works beautifully. I was previously running DT Swiss 470 rims which came with my bike. I needed an air compressor to install tires & this is a huge problem since I don't have one. I am either going to the shop or using a friends.

Now to the ride quality. Quite honestly, I don't really have anything to compare them to except stock wheels. I had a custom set of wheels about 10 years ago, but I can't remember much about them. Anyhow, this is a massive improvement over my last (stock) set of wheels. My rear wheel was falling apart & my front wheel didn't feel like a quality wheel. On the rear wheel, I replaced 1 spoke a month ago & had 2 more break since then. I was getting scared to ride them. They wouldn't stay true & I had a friend goof up & put his foot in my front wheel & warp it slightly. It was an accident & gave me a great excuse to buy a whole new set! HAHA! Anyhow, these wheels feel light & snappy in the turns(think gyroscopic precession). After today, I realize that especially in tight, twisty singletrack, that I am going to have to adjust how I lay the bike over in the turns. It takes no where near the effort that I was putting forth on my last wheelset(gyroscpoic precession) since these wheels have much lighter rims, the spinning mass isn't as prevalent. I had a few moments where I had to get on the brakes because I either laid them over too much or they just felt so different, that it made me a little nervous. It wasn't a bad thing, but I simply didn't want to taco one of them on day one. Overall, the wheels felt very solid, stiff, & responsive! With the lower sidewalls or "bead socket technology," the bead seats just right & makes the tires feel incredibly grippy & solid. Tires have never made me feel this confident in the turns. There is a negligible amount of tire slop due to this design(i.e. http://www.notubes.com/literature/BST.pdf). Functionally, this is one of the most innovative & important design factors with these wheels

So, for the price, you will not find a better set of wheels. I can't see myself ever riding carbon wheels... ever. So, from my limited research & knowledge of high-end wheels, these seemed to be the best bang for the buck, and from how they rode on the trail today, I made the right choice. I would recommend these to anyone looking for an affordable wheelset that will do likely what $1,000 wheelsets will do.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.