Spinergy Xyclone 29er Wheelset

Spinergy Xyclone 29 Wheels: This lightweight and incredibly fast wheelset can handle the most extreme conditions while delivering superior performance. Advanced PBO Fiber spokes. Ideal for cross-country,endure and all-mountain.

[May 15, 2017]
brad carr
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

I have the 29" wheels on my handcycle MT bike, they are great. The laterial loading is something that has killed other wheels but the spokes are able to absorb the energy and kick ass.

Great strength and ability to handle lateral loads without buckling. I am very pleased with these wheels and the product support from Spinergy

[Feb 21, 2017]
Kev D

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong Wheelset. This is my forth Set of Spinergy Wheels. I can't say enough about how well these wheels hold up. Plus their customer service is legendary. I spoke to Joe at Spinergy. He was extremely helpful and very accommodating when I hit a snag on the Speed Hub. They sent a new Speed Hub and a return envelope for the return. Highly recommended.

None really. Some say their a little heavy. I am strictly a recreational cyclist who can't tell the difference. So a few grams means nothing to me.

Get these wheels. They go thru hell and back and keep going. My other set of Xaeros almost never need to be trued.
I put 20k on my last set of Xaeros. The Xyclone is my forth set of Spinergy Wheels in the past 15 years.
Plus the Xyclone 29er wheels look hot too!

[Feb 16, 2017]
Ben

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, very durable, balanced, great product for the price

have not found any yet

I would highly recommend using Spinergy wheels. I put Spinergy Cyclone 29ers on my carbon hardtail, made a huge difference from what I had on there before. Great product!

[Nov 18, 2016]
david

OVERALL
Strength:

Great rims and awesome customer service!

Love my spinergy xyclone wheels, and great customer service from these guys, called them to purchase a replacement spoke, they sent me a couple replacements for free, and took time to give me some cool riding tips as well!

[Jun 10, 2016]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

Great service, super strong and reliable, fairly light, great looking, adjustable to fit multiple axles and hubs. Cool looking as you can order in different spoke colors.

For the money, I feel they should come tubeless ready

So far have not had to do any maintenance with this wheelset. Super reliable. I needed a set of adapter caps from the manufacture and they bent over backwards to help.

[Jun 04, 2014]
ligniteminer

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength, look sexy as hell on my blue and orange bike, Customer service, customer service, customer service

Heavyish, truing while set up tubeless

Bought mine a couple years ago, set them up tubeless with some yellow tape. Run my tires under 30 psi, even when I weighed 190 lbs. Had to true them once, damn rock in the Texas hill country. Just rode them in the muddiest nastiest ace ever, where most of us carried our bikes further than we rode them. Post race, my whole bike was a mess and, the freehub was not in the best shape, called Spinergy up, talked to Joe in service, he ran down the parts to gut the hub and rebuild, shot the breeze for a bit. Blows me away how personal the customer service is, I have called them before to ask about tightening the cones, they treat you like you just walked through your LBS's door. When the road bike needs wheels, they will be from spinergy, when the next bike is built, they will be from spinergy. Can say enough about how much value you get from them.

[Feb 28, 2013]
paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality to Price Ratio (QPR) You cannot beat the value. I bought a set for my son who rides fast and is fast total XC. One full season of hard riding, training, and racing and no issues EVER! I brought the rims in to get the hubs re-sealed and the guy from the shop says they where in perfect shape. They may not be the lightest but they are amazing. Such an undervalued rim in the market. So, many follow the herd of sheep with what rims to go with. I bought these with some reviews and these rims are fast. They spin smooth and you can train all day long without a problem.

If they could develop a lighter model for pure racers sub 150 ILBS and get down to 1500-1600 grams they would own the market.

At 1800 grams they will weigh as mush as many top $1K wheels that are within 50 grams. A great product and you will be happy. I was tired of spending $$$ on shop repairs. These rims bring that cost down. Buy them and ride them all day and night long!!

Stans-Mavic-American Classic

[Oct 08, 2012]
Nicco

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, tough and very durable

Tot tubeless ready. Must use Stans NoTube kit to seal properly. Defeats the purpose of a lighter wheel. Not a weakness though if you don't mind riding tubes.

My Spinergy Xyclone 29 wheelset has been through 2 singlespeed bikes, 2 geared bikes, all the training rides leading up to Leadville Trail (approx. 1000+ miles) and Leadville 100.

Not to mention countless of rides in SoCal... a few 12 and 24 hour races. All-in-all, lots of miles. Guess when I bought them? 2008.

4 years, nearly 10,000 miles, on singlespeed or full suspension... great wheels. Can you find better? I suppose. Can you find lighter? Absolutely. Can you find a more loyal customer than me? Not a chance...

Next bike is a Specialized Camber. Guess what wheelset I'm putting on this new bike? Brand new pair of Spinergy Xyclones.

[Jan 23, 2012]
joshuagore

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, Durability, Hubs, and Looks

Spokes availability.

I bought these wheels because I wanted to take a chance on something different. I have always admired products that find other ways to skin the cat besides that of traditional methods.

Performance: These wheels are the same weight as advertised 1850g, and accelerate well, but are not as laterally stiff as high tension offerings from Easton, Mavic or Tricon. I believe they offer a great value for someone interested in durability over race pace.

Durability: I am clydesdale and ride these wheels fairly hard, and this has not been without incident. The wheelset has taken 2 der to the spokes at speed and although not the wheels fault the spokes have incurred damage. This damage was ridden on for 3 months of hard riding and the wheel still never came out true. The spokes consist of what looks like aramid fibers bonded to a threaded tip, and a mushroom head at the tail covered with a plastic sheath which looks to be heat shrink and provides light protection against sticks, and stones, but not against anything that would destroy a traditional spoke. I mention this because as I said earlier they did take a serious beating in the form of two der hits which caused the exterior sheath to tear and several damaged spokes. I rode on 8 damaged and frayed spokes for 3 months of hard riding including a trip to moab and several 2 foot drops. The easiest solution to ensuring your Xyclones are not damaged is to make sure your limit screws did not vibrate out of your der on the way to your destination(happened twice), and your rear der cable isn't too short as to force the der into the spokes on a big hit.

Conclusion: I have ridden these wheels as thought they were all mountain wheels despite that not being there designation, and have been ahppy with them. The hubs have disassembled twice and seals have kept things clean without any problems. The more recent hubs are made by hadley. Overall these are the best bang for the buck in 29er wheels, and I highly recommend them.

All sorts of 29er wheels.

[Sep 19, 2010]
suvacrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Ruggedness despite the sheath on the PBO spokes. Comfortable, seem to take that little extra out of the hits. Way light compared to others at 2X the price.

21mm Rim width is little narrow, can't run 2.35s at lower PSI, I had a bead burp off on a race and I rode a ways on the rim with no major damage. XC use only

I've had Spins on roadies before, Rev Xs that have exploded and left me on the pavement with an ambulance ride to a positive history with a series of Spox R1s and Rs that have served me well. Apart from my Rev X experience, the experiences have all been very positive.
These Xyclones beat the other wheels I've experimented with on my 29er. The Bontragers failed to stay true on the second ride and the front failed to the point of no repair...just junk, The Am Classics I retain as a back-up,they lacked the snap that the Spins give and don't take the edge off of the terrain when you're dashing on a hardtail.
Spinergy's customer service has been very responsive over the years and getting spare parts has been very easy. It helps if the loca bike mechanic is familiar with the build set-up.

American Classic 29ers, Bontrager X lite race TLR CL