Spinergy Spox Wheelset

Spinergy Spox

[May 24, 2016]
Jeremiah Egnor

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth ride. Easy to true once the proper tools are obtained. Much lighter than my other 25" wheels

hard to find spokes. Since I use my hands to push them, I catch my fingers in the spokes, breaking them occasionally.

The pair I have are the 25" ones for a wheelchair. Makes my ride 10x smoother with half the effort (weight). they only have 22 spokes and I have broken quite a few catching my fingers in them, so I never use them when I am a spoke down. I obtained the proper wrench for them at sportaid.com They are rather high maintenance in comparison to other wheels, but its the cost of riding something that is much less rough on the body.
I only paid $25 for mine, so thats why my value rating was so high. They were attached to a wheelchair buried in a warehouse for at least 5 years.

Sun 25" wheelchair wheels

[Feb 10, 2011]
Longdog

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, weight,

Lateral strength is horrible on the rear (24 spoke). need to tru the rear wheel almost everyother ride. lost the wrenches sadly and Cant find the tools at any Shop. 3 shops have refused to work on them, this weekend I'll make a 2 hr trip to the nearest Spinergy rep. wish me luck!

Look good, feel good (when true). I've read alot of horror stories in this site, but I have not experienced any. No broken nipples or spokes, frozen bearings or creaks. I've used them since 03 on at least 2 good semi-hardcore rides a month and I have had no serious trouble. These days I would not recomend buying a used set because of the Age. This was a new technology back then and it seems to have been lucky draw if it worked or failed. Mine worked, but I dont know for how much longer. I constantly worry on downhills, if this will be the day I shear a spoke and have it lock up my old school V brakes.

[Apr 11, 2009]
jwork

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, true, strong, look cool, light weight, very stiff, unbreakable.

getting people to work on them. not willing to move on to newer parts, cant let go.

I haven't had to deal with customer service with these wheels ever. In fact, when i bought these wheels from the previous owner, he assured me he had 1200 miles on them. since then i've put close to another thousand and have had to true them once, never replaced a bearing, and never make any adjustments. To me thats bomb-proof. i weigh 170, ride over anything, take regular rides down flights of stairs, and never ever have any trouble with these things. if you are having bearing trouble, strength troubles, or any troubles you or someone else is doing something wrong.

[Jun 24, 2003]
Chris G

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, good looking

Poorly designed

DO NOT BUY SPINERGY. Spinergy Customer Service is the worst that I have ever dealt with in any industry! Spinergy Sux. Bikeline in Charlotte Sucks. I rode maybe 30 miles on the new Spinergy Spox (R1) wheel, the rear axle cone disintegrated. I put the wheels away for a while disappointed. Finally, I got motivated to warranty fix and Spinergy would not fix. $600 wheels and $150 to fix a $10 part! Bikeline bike shop in Charlotte did nothing to help me and actually called me a liar saying they had to be ridden more - as if it mattered, but they were wrong anyway and did not help. 20 miles after the repair - the same problem. I now have a local bike shop I will not deal with and Spinergy who insists on working wiht a local dealer. DO NOT BUY SPINERGY. Spinergey Sucks. Customer Service is the worst I have ever dealt with in any industry!

Mavic

[Mar 08, 2002]
Steve Vesco

OVERALL
Strength:

Very strong and holds up to a beating. I weigh 230 lbs and didn't have to true the rear wheel for over a year. Absorbs impacts well.

Price and maintenance on bearings. I blew the rear bearings out after 1 year of hard riding. Lucky I purchased theses wheels from a great shop that takes care of their customers!!

Great rims if you get a great deal on them. I've dealt with Spinergy's customer service on my last wheel set. I called them direct and got the ball rolling. I had a set of Rox wheels. I killed the rear wheel and they upgraded me to the Spox for $150 on a crash replacement. Make sure you deal with a shop who will take care of you if you purchase theses wheels.

Spinergy RoX

[Feb 23, 2002]
Thomas David Kehoe

OVERALL
Strength:

None.

Wind drag, weight. Freewheel mechanism was loud and felt "clunky."

Spinergy Xaero road wheels' spokes are 2.5mm in diameter! I usually build wheels using DT Revolution spokes (regular steel spokes), which are 1.5mm in diameter. Bladed spokes are between 0.9 and 1.2mm. Do the math -- the Xaeros have 16 spokes front, 20 rear, with the same wind drag as 28 spokes front, 32 rear regular wheels. The Xaero Lite wheels (18 front, 24 rear) have the same wind drag as 36-spoke wheels! Plus the Xaero rim is heavy. The spokes and hub are light, but it's the rim that matters for acceleration. The Xaero Lite rim is light, but it's not aero. Spinergy claims these wheels absorb shock -- so do DT Revolutions. The Xaeros have no advantage over standard wheels costing 1/3 the price. Also, I bought these on eBay. The seller said the wheels were Xaero Lites when they were standard Xaeros. And he didn't include the QR skewers or the truing tool. And the front wheel had black spokes, the rear yellow. Luckily I'd used Escrow.com, so I clicked REJECT PAYMENT and shipped the wheels back. He'd tried to talk me out of using escrow, asking for a check and insisting he was honest!

DT Revolution spokes.

[Jan 29, 2002]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

fairly light, lateraly rigid

hub

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM SPINERGY!!!!! I purchased this wheelset with high hopes, only to be let down big time. The rear hub blew out on me after about 50 miles. I returned the wheel to Supergo and they sent it back to Spinergy for warranty work. That's the last time I laid eyes on it. After fighting with Supergo for 7 months they finally refunded my money. Spinergy is notorious for taking unreasonably long time periods for returning busted wheels to thier owners. I had heard the horror stories about Spinergy's customer service, but thought "Not me". Boy was I wrong. In the end Supergo made the situation right, and I couldn't find any Spinergy products on thier website the last time I looked. Bottom line-if you buy Spinergy wheels make sure you hang on to your old wheelset. You're gonna need 'em.

WTB powerbeam wheelset (pre dates the newer laserbeam)

[Oct 06, 2003]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

It looked nice, pretty yellow and blue spokes, and pretty light.

They are not made to actually be ridden, at least the rear one isn't. The rear freehub is a very poor design. The fact that a company can have such poor customer service and still be in business is amazing.

I got the rear wheel for super cheap from a friend who owns a shop, if I had paid retail I would have really been pissed. The wheel lasted for 3 whole rides before the rear freehub came apart, and the rides where just comutes to work the wheel never even saw any dirt. Anyway Spinergy refused to replace the part, trying to claim it was misused. They are the worst company I have ever delt with, and I used to work in a shop, and I used to think Rock Shox was the king of poor customer service but their crown has been taken, and Spinergy has redefined poor customer service. Please do not support them!!
While I'm on customer service let me name some companies you should support Smith or Spy sunglasses I've seen both of these companies warranty things that they shouldn't have. And Hadley, they used to make hubs for GT, there hub wasn't the best design but they stood behind it. I had a customer whos rear freehub quit working and Hadley sent me a complete rebuild kit via Fed-X overnight.
So to sum things up Spinergy SUX!!! I mean they really, really, suck. Smith, Spy, Hadley Good.

Hand built wheels just lx hub with sun sub 0 rim, dt spokes.
On road Mavic Cosmics, Specialized tri-spokes, Velomax Orion Comps, and many hand built wheels (Sun Venus rims rule!)

[Jan 22, 2002]
Rob Gueterman

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, spins forever, good shock absorption

Rear hub bearings always need maintainance

These puppies love to roll. Excelerating out of switchbacks is incredible. Can always use a higher gear. HOWEVER, there is always a price to pay when something is this fast. Gone through two sets of rear hubs and waiting for the third. Luckily, my LBS always takes care of me and replaces them on the spot. (Pretty rare!) These hubs do not like mud, sand, slop and don't even think about pointing a hose at them. After this set of hubs I will go back to XTR's with Mavic Rims. You can just install Shimano's and forget about them.

Too many

[Jan 18, 2002]
chris

OVERALL
Strength:

good front wheel, lite, strong

they got my rear hub fixed after the 3rd try. there C.S. isnt that bad. the thing is that the bike shop didnt ship out my rear wheel for 14 days after i gave it to them to ship to spinergy. then i got it back in 10 days. that was a big +. if it wasnt of the bike shop i would have been able to finsh better than 5th place b/c i have to use a crap rear wheel

the wheel are fine, they are like Jags. they alwas need care.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.