Specialized Stumpjumper Wheelset

[Mar 25, 2012]
Deegs
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Terrible wheel I’ve gone thru 2 front and rear wheels Specialized is aware of the issue but is reluctant to fix or replace the wheels. Which is a shame bike is great.

Quality, defective wheels spokes dont hold tension and welds snap on the seem. Front and back wheels are defective

Terrible wheelset

Easton, Mavic 29er both blow S-Wheels away.

[Dec 24, 2011]
kevhogaz

OVERALL
Strength:

They're black?

Don't hold tension, noisy, terrible build quality.

These wheels suck. For a set that came on a $2200 bike, you'd think they'd be a little better. The spokes don't hold tension, for more than a few miles.

The spokes also make a lot of noise, since they can't hold tension. They pop, and ting on every revolution. I haven't even really beat on these too much, and they're still junk. For a lightweight rider, who only rides XC trails, they'd be fine. However, the bike has 140mm of travel out of the box, and it's not marketed as an XC bike.

[May 30, 2011]
Grant_FM

OVERALL
Strength:

They look great with the black rim, red nipples, and white decals... they are also light!

The wheels detention constantly! The spokes also easily break - on average I break a spoke every 100km. I've taken the wheels back to the original store and had them re-build the wheels but that didn’t seem to fix the problem.

The rims also seem to loose their shape "easily" - admittedly I ride hard on very technical trails, however, I've never had wheels crater as fast as these. I've had to replace both the front and back rims (both completely destroyed). I think someone else put it best when they said these wheels would be great for beginners or intermediates.

The hub bearings seem to be notorious for failing too. I've replaced the front and rear bearings twice each - the bearings really don't seem to like going anywhere near water!

These wheels are the weak link for what is an awsome bike. If you only ride on flat smooth trails or gravel roads then they may be a good fit. Otherwise, drop these wheels once they break...

Mavic

[Oct 30, 2009]
mountainbikeryk

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff, climbs like a raped ape, relativly lite, indestructable,

NOTHING

I have 10 of these frames, 3 built in different configurations. I like the model between 1996 and 1999. My main bike was 12 years old already and beat up when I got it. I use it for around the town, pulling kids, pulling heavy loads on trailers, doing trails traveling to work, traveling around town for work. These bikes are unbelievable. I don't know how Specialized can make so many of these frames and make them so good. The energy transfer is much better than steel, Ti or even regular Aluminum. Very stiff frames. I usual crash it around twice a year due to ice or wet. No problems. I don't think any bike maker making this volume can match Specialized at least made in the 1990's in the USA. I would give this bike 10 Chilis if it was allowed.

Merlin, Rocky Mountain

[Oct 30, 2001]
Tim Reed

OVERALL
Strength:

They look like a good high end wheelset

Weak rims, noisy hubs

The wheels were slightly used when I got them, and at first while riding around the parking lot of my apartment, I thought they would be fine until I could get another pair. I'm kind of a large rider (220#'s), and it's obvious that these were not designed for heavier people. If I had done this to other rims over the past 5 years, I'd give them the benifit of the doubt; however, I've been riding both pair of Sun rims for some time and never had a problem. I only got 3 rides out of them before they were totaly trashed. The rear hub started making all kinds of noise, and this afternoon I tacoed the rear wheel. If I had paid big bucks for them, I would have been really dissapointed. Now I just got an excuse to buy a new set of wheels. These wheels are probably great for a 120# rider...but not for the Clydesdales.

Been riding XT hubs with Sun Rino Lites, and XTR hubs on Sun CR 17's

[Jul 18, 1999]
Goose

OVERALL
Strength:

decently light

weak

they are a good wheelset for a beginner or intermediate rider. they can't hold up to alot of abuse though. i road them for a month and ended up having about 4 flat spots on my rim the spokes came loose while riding so make sure you tension them correctly. 2 flaming dead horses

[Jun 02, 2001]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

If you don't ride hard take comfort in the fact that they look cool cause that is it.

weak rims, piss poor hubs

These damn wheels about ruined my road trip!!
had it not been for a really cool guy at a bike shop in college station, Texas who sold me a used front wheel for $30 I'd have been screwed. the front wheel taco'd for no damn reason.(it was a mild endo, and the spokes were tight).
then 4 days later the rear hub locked up and NOBODY carries parts for specialized hubs!!!!
IF YOUR STUMPJUMPER HAS THESE WHEELS DONT TRUST THEM!!!

shimano xt hubs, Bontrager rims

[Apr 05, 2001]
Josh

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Cheap

Bends EXTREMELY eaisily, Cheap

THESE WHEELS ARE CRAP! THEY BEND!!!!! I had full tire pressure and i went of a CURB and i have a huge bend, rendering them UNRIDABLE due to severe brake rub. DO NOT BUY THEM! THEY SUCK!!!!!!

Sun Rhyno Lite, Mavic Crossmax UST Disc

[Jan 20, 2001]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

-nothing fancy wheel
-strong
-easy to true
-Mavic 517 rim.
-not too heavy

-not a fancy wheel
-not a good racing wheel
-not areodynamic

-great for training
-durable
-Mavic 517 rim
-descent if it comes with the bike but as a on the market wheel it aint that good. If you are looking for a good wheel with out dumping your wallet just get an XT or XTR hub with a maviv 517 rim (the hub is much better than specialized).

Bontrager Race
Rolf Dolomite
Crossmax

[Nov 24, 2000]
SHAWN SR

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent looking wheels. The Specialized front hub is Nice. Not bad for wheels on a $900.00 bike.

The wheels havent held true very long. The Specialized fron skewer is hard to opperate. Would like to have a wheel set that's lighter, stronger and holds true longer.

These wheels are pretty good considering that I paid $900.00 for the bike they came on. I've had a hard time getting these wheels to hold true for long. My friend bought the same bike with these wheels. His have stayed true but there's stress cracks foarming at the nipples. Don't know why, he weighs only 150 pounds and rides about 25% as much as I do and on bike paths. Another funny thing is that My radial laced front stays a whole lot truer than My 3 cross rear. I can't knock these wheels, but I'm looking to get something better next time.

My wifes bike has a 97 version of these wheels. Her's have held true longer.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.