Specialized Roval Traversee Disc Wheelset

• E5 alloy high strength disc rim
  • DT super comp 2.0/1.7/1.8mm round spokes
  • DT hexagonal pro lock alloy nipples
  • Roval steel quick releases

[Aug 01, 2013]
EW

OVERALL
Strength:

Light. Climb well. Have not completely self destructed over 5 seasons of riding.

Flexy. Broken spokes. 2 busted freehubs. Not confidence inspiring downhill.
These aren't "all-mountain" wheels.

I weigh 210 with riding gear. I have these wheels on a 2008 SC Heckler. They just aren't strong enough and I've been too cheap to buy a burlier pair of wheels. Sure they climb great. But downhill both the front and rear are flexy as hell. The rear knocks out of true very easily just flying off water bars at speed.

After much debate I think I'm going to get a burly set of wheels and keep these around as a back up set and for XC rides.

Mavic Crossrides. These are my current back up set and take a far bigger beating and are far more confidence inspiring that the Rovals.

[Jan 10, 2012]
motormonkeyr6
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, light weight, fairy strong

Front is slightly flexy

People have stated that these wheels are flexy and break, bend, snap etc. A 24 spoke front wheel is not for someone that is 190+ lbs... The rear hub has a bit more drag than other wheels I have ran in the past, but its breaking in slowly. Over the last 5-6 months I have noticed no crazy bends, still have yet to tru these wheels! They came hand assembled and tensioned. If you are looking to upgrade your AM/ Trail bike with a lighter wheelset and you are a lighter guy or gal, these wheels will work great for you! I ride hard, ex DH racer. These wheels have not let me down yet! If you can pick them up for under 300 dollars jump on it!

[Mar 10, 2011]
scottshack
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

I'm 215 lbs, and so far these things have taken everything I can throw at them.

None so far

They are great wheels for everything I do.

Mavic

[Sep 22, 2009]
FallGirl

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight

Everything else... Killed the rim on a pure cross-country ride. Had ridden them maybe 15 times. Hadn't even done any jumps.

I like riding everything from XC to DH. I put these wheels on my XC/All-mountain bike. They felt weak compared to the wheels they replaced. I replaced this wheelset as soom as I had the rim replaced.

Mavic

[Jun 30, 2009]
fishcake

OVERALL
Strength:

light and strong

Amazing wheelset that has transformed my Pitch, Very light and very strong, and look cool as well, I highley recommend them especialy for aggresive XC / all mountain. And they were only £350 form Freeborne Cycles off the Interwebnet

Probably the best upgrade I've made to any bike

[Apr 30, 2009]
Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

very, very strong

Unbelievably strong wheel. I had a tire blowout on my tubeless setup at 30mph and road the front rim down to about 10mph over 40 yrds or so on a rocky - baby-headed fire road before conducting an orderly evacuation from the bicycle. The rim looked like a crazed hellhound gnawed on them for several days yet the wheel never collapsed and was basically in true afterwords.

Mavic SLR, Roval Control

[Dec 22, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

Watch the front early on as it will try to fold in half. Takes some work to true. Seems to be holding well after initial fiasco.

They came on the bike. Look cool. Fairly stiff and lightweight.

many

[Aug 30, 2008]
fredjjjj

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely light weight.

Front wheel is flexy and needs frequent truing.
(After first ride!)
Difficult to true front due to 8+12 asymmetric spoke
design.

Rear wheel has had no problems, but I'll probably
replace the front with XTR.

Roval Controle, Mavic 717, 819.

[Nov 26, 2007]
Matt G.

OVERALL
Strength:

So far, everything. Light,Strong and True. They are as light as they say on the website. Look cool.

Non yet

So far these wheels have done what they say they would. They are, in fact, lighter than the "all Mountain" Industry Nine sets and are just as "pimpy" in a more classic way (don't get me wrong, the Indy 9's are awsome)but, these cost way less and seem great. The 2bliss system from Specialized has also been flawless. They are lighter than most high-line xc wheelsets and definetly beefier. Also, the front hub is awesome, the perminent option of quick release or 2 sizes of thru-axle is great to have for future upgrading (looks like alot of xc/all-mountain forks may have through axels soon). Buy em if you can.

Several mid-level Mavic sets over the years.

[Feb 27, 2008]
tofast4u

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap

Light. Twitchy. Do not give you a solid footing or feedback from the trail at high speeds. Too flexy and nosiey.

If your looking for an upgraded wheelset for all mountain riding then keep looking. These wheels are light which makes the ride up the hill easier, but if your bombing the downhill these will not instill confidence. They feel cheap at high speeds and I can hear the rim and spokes flexing more than I do my suspension. I wish I would have spent a few more dollors for some real all mountain/downhill wheels. I would mot even use these for XC.

Mavic, DTSwiss

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.