Shimano WH-M975 Wheelset

Ohhh mommy. The tubeless, disc-specific Shimano XTR M975 Wheelset is scandalously light, super stiff, and looks supremely sexy blazing across the finish line of a cross-country racecourse. Anodized Scandium allows the rim walls to get fashion-model thin without sacrificing strength, and the titanium rear freehub body plays a similar role in the XTR Wheelset's 1525-gram weight. Centerlock disc rotor mounts provide a quick-changing system that's also extremely responsive due to the many points of

[Sep 15, 2011]
BubColorado

OVERALL
Strength:

UST, Good Hubs, Lightish, Durable

Rims a bit narrow to run high volume tires (i.e. over 2.25) and low PSI - get a bit squirmy.

I've ridden these for two years (including five endurance races) and have had zero problems with the hubs, zero spoke issues, and only required truing once (front wheel slightly out of true after crash at Gunnison Growler). I weigh around 200 lbs. and haven't notice any flex. Great UST for endurance racing - my intended use when purchasing. I got them for a good price in the offseason (i.e. December).

Mavic 3.1 Older UST

[Jan 15, 2011]
rorymm

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Strong, Roll smooth

None that I've found

I've ridden some pretty tough trails on these wheeels and I've been impressed that such a light wheelset is so durable. They stood up to the riggers of moab trips as well as weekly rides up and down local trails like National(phoenix). They are also super smooth; I feel like I could coast forever when riding them.

Mavic Crossmax, Mavic Crosstrail

[Apr 02, 2010]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Stay true, light no flex, great acceleration

non so far

I dont know what you other guys are doing to destroy these things,(perhaps its plain bad luck), It took me 12months and 1000klm to get round to servicing the bearings in them (very slack of me i know), and guess what, they looked like new, have checked for true a couple of times over the last 12months, especially after a 4hr down hill enduro, and they needed next to no truing up, i have a set of cross max and think the XTR is a way better wheel set, so much so that i use the cross max for general riding and keep the XTR good for racing.
I give five for overall and five for value because they came as a full xtr groupe set on the bike

Mavic cross max

[Jul 19, 2009]
shreekhare

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome, light wheel. Has held up great.
Bought it online and installed the cassette, discs and skewer - easy enough to do. Have not had to true the wheels.

Spokes break and they are expensive! $8 bucks a pop, but what do you expect for a $1000 wheel?

Great wheels, light weight, looks cool.

[May 31, 2009]
pernfilman

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast and light

The rear axle I busted this like the other fella's here below me. What the funk I thought it was my 1000 watts of power now I see I am not alone. How dissapointing that the price tag can not produce a wheel that has a solid axle. The replacement part is 100 bux and on back order from shimano as we speak.

Stay away too much moolah for something you are gonna bust up, for shame shimano !!

Eason XC one Mavic's etc

[Dec 31, 2008]
lsi

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light, silky smooth and good value for money on paper when compared to competition.

Spokes and hub axle!

Great wheels when they work!

I purchased mine in Oct 07, by Dec 07 (after only a few hundred K's the rear hub axle had snapped right near the end. It then took Shimano until about April 08!!! YES 08 I kid you not, to source a replacement axle under warranty....WTF!!!! Apparently they had none in Australia at the time and had to source it from Taiwan or something.

After getting wheel on bike again I had a string of spoke failures and now the rear hub axle has broken AGAIN!

Mavic

[Nov 07, 2008]
blackblur

OVERALL
Strength:

Very strong scandium rim and FAST hubs. These wheels are incredibly smooth and light. Red nipples match the CK red of my headset exactly. Rare and exotic. When they hold up they will let you fly.

The spoke design. The nipples on the rim interface are beefy, but the spoke has another threaded piece where it meets the hub. A tiny little piece called a hub nut. These are way too easy to break. and, guess what? They have been impossible to get from Shimano since June. The same hub nut is used on the tubeless Dura Ace wheelset and same problems abound. This is the dirty little secret of these wheels. They are sold as everyday use race weight wheels. I have been through three rear spokes because of this and have not been able to use them all summer/fall while I wait on back-ordered parts. try and get someone to really try and find these 50 cent parts when the launch of the 7900 DA Gruppo is going on. Will drive you crazy. I am going back to Mavic where I know i can get parts.

I wish so bad these were the wheels I thought they would be. Look sweet, fast as _, light baby light. Three broken hub nuts in 5 rides is unacceptable. Nice try, but no support. I guess if you had a team truck in the parking lot filled with spares.... I wouldn't dare ride these things more than a mile from my car. There are other choices at this price point that are proven and reliable. Look at i9's or Mavic SLR's.

Crossmax SL's,SLR's, XL's, DT 240's, Cane Creeks

[Oct 03, 2008]
slow2go

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, true UST rims, quality materials / build, centerlock rotor mounting.

nothing yet.

For XC - I couldn't see any better value for money in any other UST factory wheelsets around this price. Look great as well, in a stealth kind of way. Running 2.25 tyres to give a bit of cushion to the hardtail - hopefully helping protect the wheels a bit too.

Mavic 819/xt hubs,

[Sep 15, 2008]
leyjonathan

OVERALL
Strength:

These came stock with my bike, GT Marathon Team.
Light, fast, stiff, low maintenance, nice looking!

Lightness makes these not bomb proof.

I got these wheels stock with my bike. For the last 6, almost 7 months, have raced, trailed riden, downhilled, jumped, crashed a few times though nothing major, and have hed to true the rear wheel slightly they didn't even charge me cuz it was so minor.
I have a few very minor dents mainly on the rear rim, they are more like scratches. You guys just need to avoid hitting them! Can I say SKILLS???? Don't freaken hit them!
OH yeah, I broke 1 spoke, with some stupid rock, it was crazy though, it did not brake from the nipple, it broke from the HUB side!!! the guys at the LBS where like, WTF, never seen that one before. But yeah, paid $9 and got a new spoke, and no issues since then. This was like 2 months ago.
These wheels are really good, just be SKILLFUL when you ride okay?, don't go crashing into things, DUH!
My bike is has a full carbon frame so I have taken care to rely on my skills to avoid impacting anything hard with my bike or components, just work on your skills and all Super light XC bikes and components should last you as long as if they were made for downhill.
:-)

Mavic CrossLand

[Aug 13, 2008]
flavios

OVERALL
Strength:

very stiff and light the hubs are very smooth and they are ust

the spokes may come loose after 1 year of racing
the hub spoke attachment

this wheels are for xc racers only!! they are very light and stiff they are great but after a while the spokes can come loose, since this wheels are very light the walls of the rim can easily dent if you hit it with a rock or somthing, so I recomend to use this wheels only for racing and have another wheelset of training.
the rear hub is the strong part of the wheelset it rolls smooth and it requires very little maintenance

wh-m975 (2003), mavic crossmax. mavic 317