Rolf Prima Satelite Wheelset

Rolf Satellite wheelsets are the perfect upgrade for first-time racers and spirited fitness riders who are looking to improve their performance. » INCREDIBLY STRONG Rolf's innovation — Paired Spoke Technology™ — and patented Torque Transfer hub design help maximize torsional stiffness for crisper, more responsive performance. » INCREDIBLY LIGHT Rolf's low spoke count and overall design create a wheel that's 70 grams lighter than stock performance wheels. » INCREDIBLY FAST The lighter weight and patented rim design help lower rotational inertia for faster acceleration with less effort. WEIGHT 830g front, 1110 rear (based on 26" clincher) SPOKES Radial, paired; 20 front, 24 rear RIMS Single cavity, low profile, KAZ welded aluminum Upgrades from a standard wheel: Satellite offers Rolf's innovation — Paired Spoke Technology — giving you greater lateral and radial strength, 50% more pulling spokes, reduced rear wheel dish, and reduced spoke count for less weight and drag.

[Apr 29, 2010]
Dustonius

OVERALL
Strength:

Rims stay very true - most important thing ever
They look cool - which matters SOOOO much :)

Front and rear bearing cups will loosen up with time.
Not a very standard freehub - harder to find parts.
Bearing seals leave something to be desired

I've owned these wheels while learning to do some of the more technical things around Boise. That means not exactly being smooth and gentle on step-ups and such. I'm also the guy that the yuppies squeal at as I bomb down the multi-use trails. I reef on them pretty hard and they're just as true as can be. They're not ultra light, but not at all heavy. They're not super stiff, but not at all flexy. All in all, a trusty rim. Just keep an eye on the play in your hubs.

[Jul 21, 2007]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

The wheels are light and strong.

Not Disk ready

Good wheels.

[Jan 30, 2007]
Jonah

OVERALL
Strength:

Great wheelset, has stood up to a lot of abuse.

Came with my new Trek and have never let me down. Would last a whole lot longer if I had maintained them. I have even ridden some difficult downhill on them with out losing true.

[Feb 24, 2002]
darin

OVERALL
Strength:

Great strengh and rigidity, looks sweet too!

Not superlight, but also not super expensive.

Good wheelset, stays true even with jumping!

xt hubs with mavic 517

[Jan 29, 2002]
Darren

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, look nice.

shoddy alloy?

They suck.
I was talked into these by the LBS owner. I should have stuck to my guns and went with the Mavic Crossrides.

Pieces of alloy keep getting lodged into the brake pads and then make that scraping noise and put nice, little ruts in the braking surface of my rims! I've tried 3 different types of break pads but it's the rims that need to be replaced. Good thing I don't ride that much on my mt. bike - which makes the point even stronger.

Mavics, Trek Matrix rims ('93 Trek 7000).

[Jul 27, 2002]
mark

OVERALL
Strength:

these wheels are very strong. and i ride on some pretty rocky terrian and i have bent them. they are still strait like the day that i bought them. and they look really cool.

the rear hub seems to loosen up

there the strongest wheel i have ever had

mavic crossroc

[Oct 31, 2002]
Scott Peterson

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, stiff, takes a beating and keeps true. They look great.

None yet

Great wheelset. Have ridden these very hard over the past year including a 24 hour race that went through very rocky sections, and they are still very true. Buy em if you can find em.

Mavic, ZAC Weiman,

[Jul 13, 2002]
mike

OVERALL
Strength:

sharp looking, so far so good on durability, affordable

none found so far except a bit heavy, but waddya expect for less than 200 bucks?

I am a 180 lb rider who likes to HAMMER. I ride primarily XC but frequently find myself on what is best termed "freeride" terrain with many, many large obstacles. So far my wheels are PERFECT - not one bit out of true. I guess the quality varies based on other reviews I've seen. I've bombed down some pretty serious technical stuff with these wheels and I have had no problems. I'd recommend them as a good set of training wheels for XC riders who don't want to drop serious coin. 5 for value for price/performance and 4 for overall because better wheels can be found for 50 bucks more.

bontrager corsair, others

[Sep 13, 2002]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Stays true, so-so light, great looks

Rear hub, so-so light

I bought these wheels when my full suspension bike frame broke and I was transfering my components to my new hardtail. The old LX/Mavic 217 wheels seemed old and lbs gave me a great deal on the Rolfs. They are excellent, except that the rear hub seal isn't up to par. I ride in a lot of muddy conditions, and have hose the rear end a lot. After a month of riding and cleaning/lubing after every ride, I hung it up for a month. When I returned, the hub was frozen, and I had to reef on it to free it up. It made lots of noise, so I had the shop flush it and re-grease the bearings. They said it had rust in there. My LX hubs never did that and I treated them exactly the same way. Might be a bad seal - we'll see. At least they've stayed completely in true. I had a real big-hit that pinch-flatted my front immediately, and the rim held up fine.

LX/Mavic 217

[Nov 08, 2002]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, true. Look pretty cool.

None yet.

I've had no problems at all with these wheels. I am pretty light (155 lbs.), so this may help. On the other hand, I normally ride on rough, rocky trails, so the rims take a good deal of XC abuse. After 14 months of regular riding in all sorts of conditions, the rims are still true and strong. And at least as light as when I bought them...

There's a lot of pieces I'm upgrading on my Adept Comp (brakes, stem & seatpost done, drivetrain and fork in the queue), but these wheels are staying.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.