Rolf Prima Dolomite Wheelset

Rolf Dolomite

[Aug 21, 2012]
Juan luis Plazaola from the Bask Country

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light and quite stiff, stay true. Nice looking. Far better than the Deore-Mavic 317 they replaced

Difficult to find spare freewheel and maintenance-assembly information

I bought them on sale from Bicyclebuys to upgrade my SUNN Neuro and remove some grams . I was very positively surprised because of their stiffness and low weight. They have stayed true for 10 years. I recently purchased a Kona Hei Hei and I would like to keep them as spare wheels, but freewheel is already showing some play and needs to be replaced.
I still have not found any information in the net about the freewheel make-model and assembly instructions. Some help on this regard would be appreciated.

Easton Haven, Deore Hub-Mavic X317 rims

[Dec 01, 2011]
mick markley

OVERALL
Strength:

mine are proving to be indestructable. I have been hammering these wheels for 7 years, and the only time I have had to true them was a month after I bought the bike. Had the rear hub repacked about two years ago, and that's it. Rock solid.

none for me.

I've had to replace most of the components on this frame over the years, but not these wheels. They are the real deal.

mavic crossride, mavic crossmax

[May 12, 2011]
Goodhumanbeing

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff True Wheel with great roll

Great wheels... have ran them on this bike literally for years of steady serious riding in Boise foothills... Never have even trued them... and they are still great... Showing some wear from use, but still look great, wish they were making 29s? Anyway... wheels are so good that they are worth commenting!

OTHERS

[Sep 20, 2005]
Craig McBrierty

OVERALL
Strength:

Exceptionally light, strong, good looking, hard wearing.

I have replaced the rear last year freewheel however i ride in a dusty gravel that destroys bikes so the wheels have done well. The front hub squeeks occasionally, fixed by lifting the seal off of the hub and letting oil seep into it for 24 hours. they are a nightmare to get tubeless tyres to seat on properly I have tried both Michelin and Huchison with no luck

Very reliable, they have had a lot of abuse: racing, traing, odd bit of freeride, downhill and jumping. They are still true after 4 years of abuse and replacing the freewheel wasnt expensive $35 or £22.

The wheels are are used with Hs33 brakes andd the rims are still thick and strong. they make a cool noise as the spokes cut through the air when going fast.

The only downside is i wish i had bought the disc compatible versions, but i got them less than half price on a special offer.

Mavic crossmax

[Jun 26, 2003]
Trent Munson

OVERALL
Strength:

They SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Rear hub is worthless...I have had it replaced under warranty once already and it is now ready for another. It develops an axial wobble. I thought the first time it happened was a fluke, but now that they are ready for replacement again, I think not. They simply Suck!!!

Unbelievably weak...Would not recomend.

Cheap ass rims that have held up for years...

[Jul 04, 2002]
Al Ogdon

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong rims.

Bad hubs

I had ver few problems with these wheels. I seldom had to true them.They held up great duringmy tuff riding.

[Jul 04, 2002]
alex

Strength:

Doesnt stay in true, crappy hubs.

My rear hub quit working after 14months of use. Wheel is very hard to keep in true. Ive read numerous articles about how crappy the rolf hubs are, now ive found out. Dont waste your money on dolomites. I have a set of XTR hubs that have lasted five years of total abuse aand they're still going.

Shimano, Hugi

[Mar 16, 2002]
Hugh Marsh

OVERALL
Strength:

Somewhat durable

Unable to efficiently use as UST.

This is a review for the Dolomite USTs as there is no listing for them. These wheels stink for UST! Absolutely impossible to get these tires off by "peeling" them off the rims like mavics. Youve got to use tire levers on these dogs, then you end up turning you UST tires into standard heavy monolith tubed tires.
I know why now trek didnt send out UST tires w/ their bikes, the Rolf USTs are the pits. I'll never buy another Rolf UST ever. Either you upset the bead or you walk when you flat, maybe if your some euro strong man competitor of course then you could rip the freaking tire off the wheel. Boo to you Rolf.

Mavic, Bontrager

[Mar 04, 2002]
Odi Tsagaris

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Responsive to steering input

After six months and the initial wrath they seem to be ok

This post follows my initial post where I had considerable trouble with the rear hub freewheel assembly.
After hours of headscratching with my LBS we came up with the permanent solution to the crap freewheel assembly fastening.
Now after almost 700miles in mud - snow - water - dust and rapid stony downhill sections I can finally say that the wheels are not as bad as they initially seemed.
The rims have held their shape, the spokes need some tensioning but unfortunately this is no job for an amateur bike mech like me and the rear freewheel is solid as a rock.
Only problem is that the choice of hubs if you want to fit disks is very narrow.
Sooooo here Mr Rolf are two more stars for your wheels.
But are they still being produced?
By whom?
Trek? Rolf?
Or have they been renamed Bontrager something or other?

Vuelta Airline 1

[Feb 25, 2002]
jason

OVERALL
Strength:

forget what ya heard, these wheels are strong!

none yet

I'm 155 so ofcourse whatever damage I dish out these should hold up, however under the tire of my dodge neon they should have folded popped spokes and died. This weekend when taking the front wheel off so it wouldn't hit the ground while driving, I forgot to put it in my car, leaving it laying against my back bumper. While in reverse the left side of my car kept raising up then stopping, I couldnt figure it out until I saw an empty back seat. THE ONLY DAMAGE DONE WAS A BENT SKEWER! Not sure if it was an act of God or a good wheel but the bearings were fine and the wheel was perfectly true, I would trust these wheels on my grandma's wheel chair.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.