Mavic Crossride Wheelset

Mavic Crossride MTB Wheelset. More than 10 years after its launch, the recipe has changed but the goals remain: quality, efficiency and reliability. Mavic specific technologies ensure enhanced performances on any bike. Compatible with through axles. Avail

[Jun 05, 2018]
jsncs

OVERALL
Strength:

Price is very affordable Rims are pretty strong & light in its range imo, I dunno why some people's break, maybe they were too heavy? I'm 80kg and do a mixture of trails, XC and roads. Never had any issues Love the aero spokes but I don't know about finding replacements...

The weight is a tad heavy but unless you are a weight weeny, shouldn't be a probm

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2014
[May 22, 2017]
fox_in_socks
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Hmm… nice look, good customer service

Weakest rims I’ve had
Creaky front hub
Crappy building
Annoying straight pull spokes
Narrower than most modern all mountain rims

I’ve owned MANY wheelsets over 20 years of cycling, majority of them were Mavics – but these are the worst Mavic’s I’ve had to date.
- Weight is not impressive for a non aggressive 28spoke wheel
- Build was weak and flexy (hardly any tension on spokes)
- Rear rim was dead within 4 months of riding. First time this ever happened to me.
- Front hub had to be replaced due to noises in hub shell – thankfully mavic were good and quick to respond to the warranty claim!
- 21mm inner width is narrower than most modern similar wheels.
- Straight pull spokes are HORRIBLE to adjust. Spin freely in hub, and must be held with some pliers. Freakin nightmare, especially in the field.

many other wheelsets, from XC to DH

[May 02, 2016]
hartleybiker@GMAIL.COM
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable. Low maintenance.

Stickers only lasted 9 years. Bummer.

I bought a set of these in 2007 for my Stumpy after losing a front wheel in transit. Paid $185 at REI for a set, I now think they were mis-labelled. Since then I've ridden them on XC and rooty, rocky trails with drops of 3 feet or less for 9 years and I've never trued them, greased, them, or had to repair them---period. And I weight 200lbs. Can't complain.

[Mar 14, 2015]
Beanflika

OVERALL
Strength:

I love xc Riding and these Rims Love Trails

Havent Found One Yet

I bought these Rims For my cannondale a year ago and there still Running True and One thing i have that noticed when worn in a bit there Extremely Fast On Dusty stoney trails..

[Sep 15, 2014]
Chad B

OVERALL
Strength:

Price is fair and swapping spokes due to the straight lace stile of the spokes is easy...

Constantly breaking spokes!! I've broke over 10 spokes in a couple of months of consistent riding, they snap at the nipple.

Not a fan of this wheel it's just not strong enough for constant hard riding.

[Mar 24, 2014]
Forrest Gimp

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong ass entry level 29er wheelset! Great pricepoint. Still true after a year of intense riding.

The rear hub developed lateral side to side play. Mavic sent a thick washer which supposedly fixes the lateral play. It just ended up binding the bearings. Many d.i.y. threads i read said they used loc tite retaining compound to fix the issue. I took out the thick washer "fix" mavic sent , put in retaining compound & have not had any lateral play since.

This has been a great wheelset as of yet. I paid just under $300. I weigh about 175-185 (after post ride livations) These wheels sit in a hard tail 29er setup. I ride 3-4 days a week , mostly xc & some gravity. I don't do any epic jumps, just ones within my comfor tzone, hit log rollovers , rock gardens & common ttf. Iv'e owned these wheels for over a year & they still are true! I have total confidence in the set & in the future i would most definitely upgrade. They are also a decent weight for the cost.

[Sep 13, 2012]
Carlos Monsivais

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Looks, Strong

None So far!

If you need new rims, and don't race, or abuse IT this are good rims for the money!

[May 31, 2012]
Joern Kristiansen

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Mavic name

Front rim broke at the weld during XC decent. No apparent reason for the break. The wheel locked and I summersaulted and landed hard. The rear hub had startet to make a screeching sound that came and went, not connected to braking.

This wheelset is to weak for XC riding. Developed faults that I have not had with any other wheels. There was no warning to the front rim coming apart at the welded joint. As the going was easy it came as a complete surprise that the wheel broke and locked up. Since the rear hub had also started playing up, it seems clear that this wheelset is not up to XC riding.

Stan's ZTR rims on Shimano XT rear hub and American Classic front hub.

[Jan 30, 2012]
McCrevis

OVERALL
Strength:

Great price for the Mavic name. Perfect upgrade for the budget. V brake and/or 6 bolt disk

We will see how they handle a clydesdale rider

so far so good. They have a lot to live up too considering my factory rims off of my 2003 GT Avalanche have held up for 8 yrs. Only reason I'm upgrading is for the hubs and the ability to upgrade to disk brakes.

[Dec 09, 2011]
xmessenger

OVERALL
Strength:

PRICE, weight, strength...

Being real anal but the front wheel came with a very very slight wobble but that could be shipping and its so slight that I'm not bothered. Proprietary design.

A bargain. I mean, as someone who got into biking mostly in the 90's then dropped out in the 2000's the price blows me away. I thought there would be no way of getting fr and rr hubs, spokes, rims, tape and labour for less than$500 yet here I have a beautiful Mavic wheelset for less than half. Granted they are made in Bulgaria but at least it ain't China! Sealed bearing hubs, machined sidewalls, bladed spokes...Wow. Mine are he 2011 rim breal version and have only 20 spokes per wheel. That scard me a bit but the rims have deeper bodies so I assume that makes up for it. Alot different than my traditional 32 spoke wheel but so far I am very happy.

alot of various mavic sun with dt and xt setups.