Mavic Crossmax SX Wheelset

Mavic Crossmax SX is an Enduro type wheelset. A wheel for those who want to go big, both on trails and on jumps without worrying about durability, rigidity and product quality. By using Maxtal and Fore technologies, this wheel provides the perfect balanc

OVERALL
Strength:

I have this pair of wheels, at least for ten years, some bad treatment, just in ride, the only maintenance that needed for, are some periodicals change of the bearings.

[Feb 03, 2014]
cobym2
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, stiff, solid. Bombproof.

there are lighter options out there that are just as strong. Require periodic preventive maintenance, if thats even a weakness. Pricey at SRP.

These are for the 2010 SX, which have seen 2 different all mountain bikes and countless kilometers of all kinds of trail, including jumps, drops, DH runs and the like, WET and dry, usually wet. I like to check and clean the freehub and pawls once a year, and I've had to replace the freehub bushing (Thanks Hub Doctor!) already, and the bearings have been repacked with grease 2 times. They may have to be replaced soon. But I have not yet put a spoke wrench to these bad boys. Still true after 4 years. I've actually already put a gouge and a very slight bend in a spoke (with a branch), and lots of nicks and scratches in the rim, but the wheel is still true. Strange. Im starting to feel trapped, that I'll be using these wheels forever. Maybe Im just lucky that the hubs are so far reliable.
That said, these are around 1950 grams a pair, and I think there are other newer options that could be just as strong, but are considerably lighter, and are not carbon.

[May 23, 2012]
Will

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, Stiff, Durable, Maintenance Free after 4 years

None Yet

Got these put on a Intense 6.6 and switched them to a Yeti 575 last year. I ride about 3 times per week on everything from Moab style roughness to muddy alpine singletrack. No problems, stiff smooth ride and never had them trued....although they are due. Great rims, not sure what all the negative fuss is about. Maybe I just got lucky.

[May 06, 2012]
Kerry
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Rims have taken 4 seasons of riding on two different bikes riding at Silver Star in Vernon and tons of all mountain in the rocky Okanagan. Durable and light compared to the abuse they handle.

I've twice had to replace parts and have had to order the parts instead of just picking them up at the bike shop. Then, because it seems the bike industry norm, the wrong part shows up. So, the wait time is a pain the arse. Otherwise no worries.

I don't think I'd buy them again even though they're great wheels. I could buy a set of Hope hubs which would be more durable and have some Mavic tubeless rims laced up using readily available parts and end up with a bombproof set of wheels that weigh around the same weight. I''m not saying they're bad wheels, far from it. But, for me personally, I wish I had spent the money and built up my own wheels instead of buying these.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.