Mavic Crossmax ST Disc Wheelset

Crossmax ST Disc has always delivered exceptional value - many ofThe features of Mavic'sTop-end (and much more expensive wheels) at a more journeyman price. It's a great match for your full suspension MTB, light enough even for racing, yetTough for bigger, more aggressive riders. New for 2012 rim extrusion shaves 35g of rotating weight ITS-4 freehub body (Shimano compatible) Strong, light Zicral straight-pull spokes, 24 front, 20 rear, front 2x, rear IsoPulse lacing Claimed 1,590 grams pair Full

[Nov 13, 2019]
JustChuckles

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, I have owned many different models of both the Crossmax and Ksyrium wheelsets over the years and they have all been outstanding. The STs are no exception to that statement. These are my 15th set of Mavic wheels. What I would expect from Mavic, great design, durability, low weight and low cost for a high end wheel set.

Freehub seal drag, these do require regular maintenance and you must use the right type of lube

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2012
[Jun 18, 2015]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Wheels stay true.

Axle repeatedly breaks.
Non-existent customer support from Mavic.

I have had the Mavic Crossmax STs on my Niner Air 9 hard-tail for almost two years now. The axle in the rear wheel has broken twice. The first time was about a month after I bought the bike, the second time after another 18 months. For the first broken axle, Mavic took over a month to get the parts to my LBS. For the second broken axle there has been no response from Mavic in over two months; I've given up waiting. The wheels have stayed perfectly true. For reference, I am 6'2, 165 lbs, old, and ride trails somewhat conservatively.

[Mar 25, 2014]
smilmick

OVERALL
Strength:

very stiff and lightweight for the strength they offer.

Proprietary everything! If you break a spoke good luck. Luckily, broken spokes are VERY rare.

Great wheels with great ride quality. They are high end wheels that do require service. Changing bearings is a regular occurrence because they rely on the seal that comes on the bearing and nothing more. Its really not a characteristic that is unique to mavic, so I dont think it is a bad thing. If you take the time to clean your bike without a hose (use a wet rag, and some damp brushes), you can expect decent bearing life. 6 months is decent if you factor in a wet ride or two. If you hose off your bike (even if it isnt pressure washing) you can expect shorter service intervals. If you want a better seal, expect more drag. If you wash your bike every other ride, you are the minority. Washing your bike with a hose is not unlike going for a muddy ride. Any dirt and grit is now being "washed" into the bearings. Its your fault. Deal with it. It doesnt have to be a pressure washer to do damage. Also, if you replace your bearings with Enduro MAX bearings, you made a mistake. Enduro MAX bearings are designed for applications that experience little to no full rotation like suspension pivots and headsets. You need to be using standard caged sealed bearings. Also available from Enduro.

[Nov 03, 2013]
cat g

OVERALL
Strength:

rims solid

bad axle /bearing design

Ive had these wheels for about 6 mnths now. Replaced front disc side bearing, seized cuz of poorly designed seals and front axle c clip that the disc side bearing rides on is an after thought. C clip doesnt have even load on the inner race of the bearing. After replacing the bearing with enduro max bearings, disc side again notchy. Thats only after 1 ride before washing bike. First, i wash my bike every other ride.Like it clean. After the front bearing problem i looked at the rear hub. After washing, the freewheel seal is so poorly designed that water got into it too. And i dont power wash my bike. Guess what, the freewheel bearing is now gritty. Im gonna have to have the wheels looked at and warrantied. As of now, no word thru mavics as i emailed them over a month ago. Talk about bad customer service . Reason for only 1 chilly overall

[Jun 17, 2013]
Craig
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong

Customer service sucks.

I like the wheels. The front is stiff, it's great. The rear I'm not so sure about. My bike is a 2011 model and still uses 9mm skewers and these wheels come with adaptors to use them with skewers or through bolts. This is one reason I bought them. The adaptors for the rear wheel are a little loose and causes the rear wheel to move and creak. Mavic does not have customer service, no contact info on the web site, just says to contact selling dealer. I contacted my selling dealer, Price Point, and did not get any help. I modified the adaptors to make them better.

[Mar 28, 2013]
Ray

OVERALL
Strength:

Tubeless ready, stiff, tracks like on rails, great looking

I did have to buy a special wrench for the well designed heavy load displacement nipples.which is ok with me and the longish freewheel paw / gear spacing

standard wheel maintenance and always check spoke there's no problem, best wheels I've ridden on

Shimano, sun and others

[Jul 23, 2012]
Lumikko

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong

Easily dented rim. Spoke nipples stuck -> disaster.

I weigh 191 pounds, ride quite technical stuff, enduro and 4-5ft drops, no downhill. Within first 5 rides the rim dented somehow. Didn't crash or hit a stone - the paint is ok - just as if a thumb would have pressed it in.
I bought these because my CMax XL Discs from 2003 were so good. Experience has taught that anti-seize is mandatory for nipples! Said goodbye to the whole rim, the guy at lbs broke it. Nipple twisted, snapped, and after drilling and carving out the crap the thread was gone. They went so well, that no truing was needed for 5 years!
Now with the new set I expected at least another 5 years of happy riding (or more with careful maintenance), but this dent raises doubts.

[Jul 11, 2012]
Harlan Spinner

OVERALL
Strength:

Great cornering. Good value and looks

Only gone on three rides so do not see any weaknesses yet

I have a six year old Titus MotoLite. Had the Mavic Crossmx SL Rims. I ran over a nail and punctured the rim. Decided to buy a new wheelset. Found 2011 online for about 1/2 price. I have only gone on three rides so I cannot comment on durability. Just wanted to report that these wheels make my bike ride like new. I cannot belive the improvement. Of course the bike rolls out better which was to be expected. What I did not expect was how well the bike corners. It feel like a completely diferent bike now. I did not think new wheels could make such an improvement.

[Feb 03, 2012]
SoIll57

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, Stable, lightweight, smooth, tracking and looks great! Straight spokes are easy to work with too.

Needs a mavic specific spoke wrench

The wheel stiffness helped greatly in making my older stumpjumper frame track well and improve trail feel. These wheels high stiffness were great with improving the steering and flex I felt with this bike. They are light, perform awesome and are a great value. I love these wheels! Also, the spokes are VERY strong and give me a lot more confidence when shredding on the local trails. I would recommend this for people looking to step up performance for enduro riding with a much stiffer and lightweight wheel. Oh yeah, over two years of riding I only needed to true the wheels once and I ride pretty hard and weigh about 190 lb.

[May 16, 2011]
ags

OVERALL
Strength:

- looks cool
- super strong
- stiff
- lite

- need special spoke wrench
- expensive to replace spokes/parts

Best set of wheels I've owned in my 20 years of mountain biking. Super durable and tough- I've beat the sh*t out of these wheels for almost 4 years and only had to true them 2 or 3 times. I finally broke a spoke after a branch got caught in my derailleur and jammed it into the my wheel. The hubs run as smooth as the day I bought my bike. I'm totally impressed.

I will say they are expensive but if you buy them for closeout through a web retailer then they are 100% worth every penny.

many

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.