Halo Freedom Disc Wheelset

For the discerning Freerider, Halo Freedom Disc Auralite Nb-A special alloy rims mated to the high specification sealed bearing Halo Spin Doctor hubs. Tough enough for all but the knarliest DH course, light and responsive enough for XC. 32 plain gauge Black spokes finish off these top flight all Black wheels.

Also available with White powdercoat rims.

These are the signature wheels of team rider Chris Smith who uses white Freedom Disc rims on white Spin Doctor hubs laced up with black spokes.

[Feb 16, 2011]
R2ana

OVERALL
Strength:

They are tough. You could run 16 spokes in the rear and the wheel will stay true on your downhill runs because the rim is seemingly indestructible. Just kidding, don't do that.

I'll let others chime in cuz I haven't found one yet. I could imagine the hub selection being the only weakness in a full built wheel. I had the rim laced to hope2s. All good so far.

This rear rim has stayed true even after decreasing the spoke tension from CRC. Multiple downhill runs on our gnarliest mountains, and not a wobble or a hop. Just be sure to use a good hub!

mavics, bontragers, sun32s..

[Feb 18, 2010]
DyNaM1T3

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent rim pretty light & tough, some of the early hubs to be supplied with qr/20mm converters (spin doctors). A great mid-price freeride wheelset.

Rear hub was heavy, especially after the axel conversion.

I ended up swaping to Pro 2's with DT Swiss Comp's With alloy nipples, to get the weight down. Wouldn't part with the rims though.

Halo Tornados

[Oct 13, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Strengh, 28mm rim, gives great confidence when smashing down Jaycubs Ladder

I brought these in white to go with white frame. Bad idea looks like a chavmobile, but who cares when you can hit ANYTHING and just keep going... f*** going round walkers, plough em down with these on!

WTS speed disc

[Apr 13, 2009]
Montytian

OVERALL
Strength:

very strong wheels in a reasonable weight, good price in its class, free hub sounds like a sawing machine---VERY NOISY(I love)!

Logos are decal not laser print, start to peel off after 3 months.

good wheels! not only favorite for free riders but light enough for weekend relax as well.

Bontrager Earl

[Dec 26, 2008]
Boolock
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong rim and much cheaper than rivals.

Drive side bearings only lasted three months.

Halo are really cheap compared to most manufacturers, but my experience with both an SAS and Freedom rear wheel is that the drive side bearings just don't last long. You get what you pay for.

Halo SAS, many custom Hope/Mavic/Shimano combinations of hub and rim.

[Mar 09, 2008]
zahgurim

OVERALL
Strength:

light, strong, cheap(ish)

Built with single eyelets to try and keep the weight down.

My favorite rim. I run the rim only.

I've laced up to either Hope or King hubs, as I don't like the Diatech hubs Halo sells their wheelsets with...

Very similar to a 521, but lighter, stronger, and cheaper to buy. Winner, all the way around.
Have also laced up a set for my DH bike, and have been surprised at the abuse they've taken.

Mavic 521/721, 321/729

[Jan 23, 2008]
Joel

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, cool looking, spindoctor hubs are versatile and rebuildable, grease port for easy rear hub maintenance.

Not very many shops carry the brand in the US

It's a very strong, fairly light weight and inexpensive all mountain wheelset. The bottom line is I needed a wheelset that could withstand all the torques a 265 lbs rider puts on them that didn't kill me at the bank...and if I did blow out the rear freewheel, it's easily replaced for about $40.

let's talk versatility--the front hub has a choice between QR and 20mm axles and the rear has 4 axle choices[extra].

I am really happy with these. I think I will buy the white color version on my next bike.

Shimano, Sun, Mavic, and other junk.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.