Easton Vice XLT650b/27.5in Wheelset

The best 650b trail bikes boast the best of both worlds - the acceleration and maneuverability of 26-inch wheels and a healthy dose of the stability and rolling momentum found in 29ers. This is the wheelset designed to match those trail-shredding machines

[Dec 18, 2015]
Mark Raes
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

the other review is spot on, great for tubeless. Light, stiff, look good...but. Front wheel didn't have any issues.

Bearings fail in 3 weeks. Easy enough to buy replacements and install new bearings. bearings failed in my havocs also, so they seem to be an issue with Easton.
The reason for the 2 chilis,, the drive inside the wheel that engages the freehub came lose after 6 months of riding. I bought them online, ebay for 350, good price, but had to get a warranty from a LBS, which is the problem with their service, and special components? How do I get an LBS to do a warranty, when I don't buy fromt eh LBS? 2 year warranty is pretty much worthless, and their wheels just plain fail.

I liked them until they failed on me.

Easton Havoc 26

[May 20, 2015]
TwoHeadsBrewing

OVERALL
Strength:

Relatively light wheelset, great price point, UST, flexibility of axle sizes

21mm rim width?

I picked these up for a bit under $450, but have seen them for sale at around $300. That's a pretty solid deal for a nice UST wheelset of this weight and construction. The flexibility of running different axle sizes on the front and rear is also a plus, although it would have been nice to have a 20mm possible in the front. I was also hoping for a 23mm rim width, but it turns out it feels just fine and the tire profile looks good.

Seating up my UST Butcher and Purgatory tires was a cinch. I've always liked pairing UST tires and rims, and this was no different. Put 'em on and inflate, no problems. The bead seated at about 45psi with a satisfying "pong". These were a vast improvement over my old wheelset, which were a stock set around 2100g. Dropping 350g/.75# off the wheelset was a very noticeable difference. Snappy acceleration, good stiffness, even more than my previous 28H wheels. Hub engagement is quick and freewheel nearly silent.

Overall a great wheelset, especially at the price. Good looking, understated, stiff, light and functional.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.