Easton Haven Disc Wheelset

With an internal rim width of 21mm, the Haven is wide enough for 2.5" tires, yet exceptionally light for all-mountain riding. The rim is UST-compatible, requiring no rim strip. Unique Threaded Eyelet system employs alloy nipples that are threaded internally (to thread onto the spoke) and externally (reverse thread into rim eyelet), allowing Haven to be trued like a standard wheel.

[Feb 28, 2016]
tim binns

OVERALL
Strength:

LIght and strong (until it broke)

Ignore the marketing hype about bulletproof warranty!!!!

Ok so mine were the haven carbon, 26' lasted a tad over a year, from new, then the rear rim simply massively blew apart, while the bike was parked (thank god) Ok to be fair, in the year I rode them about 1500kms, lot of rocky XC style trails, NO jumps. They stayed true, didn't leak air, bearings and hubs went un serviced and apart from picking up a few surface scratches they were trustworthy. Now it ha taken nearly 4 months for them to "assess" and finally repair - if I wanted repair I would have bought a second hand car! So sadly not happy and please do not believe the warranty claims.

stans, trek bontrager, crank bros, mavic crossmax, etc

[Mar 15, 2014]
omclive

OVERALL
Strength:

Seem to manage to stay true.

Kamikaze bearings and rear hub.

I have owned these for about a year, but have put minimal mileage on them as they are always in for repair. The back hub is absolute crap, and they kept making them until this year. SHAME on you easton! I have bought a lot of their premium products in the past, no more. The front hub bearings just gave out, again, and I give up.

Don't buy at any price!

[Oct 14, 2013]
JJ Garcia

OVERALL
Strength:

*Beautiful
*Light
*Rims rock! Worry-free tubeless. Fill and forget!!!
*Easton answers the phone
*Easton backs their product up with free, no questions asked parts for repair
*Seemed to be a good value

*Hub freewheel relies on single spring freehub (most companies now use 2 spring for mtb) engagement - not good enough for mtb
*Although Easton is sending a replacement spring assembly, it will likely fail after another 100 hours of riding

These wheels were promising early on. The rims are especially cool when mated to LUST tires. Worry-free tubeless seal. A year after purchasing (approx. 100 or so hours of riding) out of nowhere the crank would spin but with no wheel spin. I was bummed, so I took it to LBS, and was told that the "single spring ratchet action was shot". I called Easton, and they actually answered. The wheel tech knew exactly what was wrong. They sent me a replacement spring assembly no questions asked and free of charge. This and the great rims are why I'm giving 3 chilis and not 1 chilis.

FSA, Mavics, XT

[Oct 07, 2013]
Haines Mountain Biker

OVERALL
Strength:

Rims are good but not good enough to deal with the crap hubs

The hubs are worse than the bottom of the line.

The hubs are the worst. Came on 2013 Covert. Multiple catastrophic failures one requiring new rear wheel purchase during bike vacation 2000 miles from home with new bike. Warranty axle and bearing replacement come fresh crunchy and notchy. Horrible design because the ceramic bearings eat the steel races. Undue binding stress on locknut required to eliminate play. Locknut has no lock and notchy bearings spin the adjuster in the hub causing loosening. Axle tension places it's stress on fine threaded alloy locknut on alloy axle because it has to have freeplay for spin. In 25 years of obsessively riding bikes I have never experienced such a disappointing hub.

[Apr 08, 2013]
Manwe

OVERALL
Strength:

Rims are strong and they look cool on my bike.

The same thing that I read on here, THE BACK HUB SUCKS!

I have had these about 5 months and have about 500 miles on them. I started noticing a clicking noise from the rear and that it was either the cranks or the back hub. I took to my local LBS and they claimed that they fixed it but they didn't I finally sent them off to Easton and they claim that they are aware of the situation and that it needed new axle and other crap that I have no idea what they were talking about. I have had it out now over a week and I called them and they said that they are about 10 days behind in repairs and that they will have it back to me in a week. We will see if they fixed it when it gets back.

[Jan 29, 2013]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Very fast wheel, stays true

Price is steep but worth it

I have had these wheels for a little over a year and they have been very good to me. I adjusted the rear hub once but when done correctly they remain solid. I have rode the harshest trails of Big Bear, CA to the rocky deserts of Arizona and they remain true.

[Sep 24, 2012]
g

OVERALL
Strength:

wheels have great lateral strength and have not easily come out of true over two years of riding

HUBS!
the hubs are terrible. the rear hub seperated the pressfit splined female/male interface from the hub body and freely spun it in the hub body, this allowed for a long walk home, Easton did send a new wheel for this!
the bearings are a nightmare, constant replacement, enough that i bough a blind bearing puller, due to the constant loosening and need for replacement bearings. I tried locktight and still managed to loosen the front hub at a frequency of less than 50km's.
the cassette body is very poor quality. the pawls break and seperate from the body with regularity, even with more than due maintenance. the cassette body itself ground up bearings at a one a month rate.
They look great though.

nice ride quality .....terrible hubs. These wheels unfortunately cause too many hassles to ride.
Easton was great about sending me a new rear wheel but both rear wheels and the front required so much maintenance and money that they have been replaced by a TN719 on a hope pro evo 2 that has caused no problems.

[Jun 01, 2012]
castnblastut

OVERALL
Strength:

Great all around, very light for the strength and width, look good, mount tubeless very well. I've had no hub problems in two years and I weigh 200lbs geared and run fairly big tire.

Rear hub should be interchangeable for the $. Not the engagement of CC but good enough, esp. for the $. All wheels with "special spokes" mean, carry extras if you are going a long ways away.

Two years, several sets of tubless tires, and trails from forest to desert including many trips to Souther Utah chunk trails, strait-edge hits etc. Still perfectly true and have had none of the hub issues others speak of, knock on wood. Building up a new bike now and these wheels are definately in the short list.

[May 24, 2012]
wantriot
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Durable, Quality, Look Great

Price, Hubs not interchangeable between axl sizes.

Greatest Wheels I've ever owned. I use the for AM/light FR and they work great. I keep up with my XC buddies and still huck with the Full Face on... Great wheels. I would give them 5 stars if the hubs were interchangeable. 1.5 years on them thus far and even after several checks, they are still perfectly true.

[Feb 09, 2012]
camino4
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent UST set up. Good rim width. Stiff and light. Was promised to hold up to a lot of punishment to go with my new Transition Covert.

Reaching the top of Highline in Sedona, ready for the most awesome descent possible, the rear hub blew! As this was only my 6th ride on these wheels, I was stunned and utterly disappointed. I had not read the previous reviews on this forum, but the Havens were highly recommended by my bikeshop. To have the rear hub blow, miles away from the trailhead on one of the most technical section of one of the most incredible rides is truly shocking. Such failure is a serious safety issue, not to mention the lost opportunity for a fun ride I was expecting. After the hub blew, I had to walk out several miles over rough terrain that I should have been able to whiz by. I think that Easton should replace my hub with a more reputable brand such as Chris King or Industry 9, as I have lost TOTAL confidence in their product.

Known problems on rear hub failure is a sad commentary on what should be a great product. Selling a rim with an inferior hub is unsafe and unacceptable practice.

Roval Traversee

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.