Easton Haven 29er Wheelset

Best Price At

Finally, we have one more UST rim option for 29er riders -- that bumps the list to a grand total of two. Easton has introduced the Haven 29" Disc Wheelset after subjecting them to rigorous testing procedures in order to gain the coveted UST label for the rim. Is it worth it? We think so. Our experience has proven that going tubeless on 29ers has been more challenging than on 26ers -- DIY tubeless conversions are a bit trickier in the best case scenarios, and downright stupid in the worst fit cases.The rim is the real gem of the Haven 29" Disc Wheelset. It's a bit wider at 26mm outside/21mm inside, and allows for the use of tires up to 2.5" should you need more casing volume for your next gnarly alpine adventure. You can seat a UST tire on these wheels by hand and with only a floor pump -- no mess and no fuss. Creating a UST approved rim is difficult, but Easton found a great way to get around the task of eliminating the spoke penetrations in the outer wall of the rim. The straight-pull DT double-butted spokes are placed in the hub in a 3-cross pattern as usual, but the nipple is all new for this wheel. It is both internally and externally threaded. When the spokes are drawn into the nipple it is simultaneously screwing into a threaded eyelet inside the inner wall of the rim. They can be trued exactly like a wheel with standard nipples. Only the included valve stems pierce the entire cross-section of the rim.The Easton Haven 29" Wheels have Black rims with two tone logos -- the Easton logo is Silver and the Haven logo is Champagne and matches the CNC machined hubs. They run on sealed cartridge bearings and have adjustments for the bearing preload to keep them running smooth. The front hub is available in three options -- Quick Release, 15mm thru-axle, and 20mm thru-axle. The rear wheel uses an included quick release. The DT spokes are black. They have ISO standard 6-bolt mounts for the brake rotors.

[May 31, 2017]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Not sure

Failed after very light use.

I bought these wheels in late May 2016, I ride mostly pretty tame mountain bike trails in Michigan and because of lack of time, have put less than 300 miles on these wheels. Before a ride the other day, I just happened to spin the front wheel and found that the bearing is completely seized up. There was no incident or anything specific that would have caused this, but now it is unusable. Fortunately, I still had my old wheel, so that is what is on the bike now. I bought the wheels onlilne through Pricepoint, but they are no longer in business, so I called Easton to see what they would do under warranty. The guy at Easton told me that the bearing is a wear item and to take it to a local bike shop so they can fix it (on my dime of course). Did I mention they are still under warranty?

Anymore, poor customer service is the norm, so I guess I am not surprised, but I am hoping this review will dissuade at least a few people from buying Easton products.

Giant wheelset that was originally on the bike

[Jan 21, 2015]
keithrad

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight / strong / easy to set up tubeless with standard tires.

??

I have had these around 2 months, less than 100 miles.I bought these used (like new) in Nov. 2014 as 2014 year model. They are the stealth black on black set with 15mm front and 12 X 142mm rear. I am right around 6ft 2in / 240 pounds geared up and ride north and central Texas trails= rocky limestone, (loose over) hard pack. I'm not the smoothest style wise. With that in mind this is my initial review...
I am super impressed with these so far. Could instantly feel the reduction in weight compared to my stock DT Swiss X1900 wheelset. Also feel the solid sturdy build in that they don't flex in tight rock crawling technical sections, or steamrolling the downhills over rocks, roots, vermin etc.... They perform well when climbing as they don't weigh down the bike and again are stiff and precise. After a couple of rides I noticed both hubs were loose. I tightened them up, and they held for the next ride, but, I read about the free hub / bearing upgrade for the rear so I ordered the kit at my l.b.s. and installed it a few days ago. I've ridden close to 40 miles and they are both tight and flawless! Also, before my last 2 rides, I converted them to tubeless using my standard tires (Maxxis Ardent 2.4 frt. Specialized Ground Control 2.3 r) by simply installing valve stems and adding Stan's No Tubes goo. They seated up quickly using a schrader adapter and my compressor. These are the nicest wheels I have owned to date and so far they have held up to my clyde size and bull in a china shop finesse.

WTB dual duty / DT Swiss X1900 WTB Speed disc

[Sep 12, 2014]
Zachariah

OVERALL
Strength:

~ Nice, 21mm internal width
~ Full UST capability, without using rim strips
~ Decent, 28 points of hub engagement
~ Beefy, sealed bearings

~ Still heavy, at nearly 1900g(15mmTA/front and 142/12 rear)
~ Rear freehub carrier into SRAM XX cassette is extremely tight fit(requires force to install)

Been riding these, since 11/2011. They wide footprint really maxes-out your tires' casing, which helps in the cornering and stability department. I recommend you run tires no smaller than 29 x 2.2, for optimal results.

The real shock to me was fitting the XX cassette. Apparently, the inner sleeve of the XX 11-36 cassette is a tightly-wound sheet of aluminum, between the 36 and 15t cogs. This impedes simply sliding the cassette on, like in most applications. In my case - I had to forcibly drive the freehub through the cassette, using a rubber mallet. removing it is going to be the same procedure, I'm afraid.

All in all, this wheelset is without doubt stiff and maintains momentum very well. I am now going with the EC90 XC Carbon wheelset, in an effort to drop a full pound of rotating weight. The loss of 2mm rim width is imperceptible, at best for me.

2012 - Roval Control Carbon 29

[Apr 25, 2014]
JimmyJames
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff and light.

Original design required rear-hub upgrade, which Easton provided for free.

This is a great wheel set. Stiff and light, they have performed flawlessly on my long-travel (140mm) Niner WFO for over two years now. I weigh about 180 pounds, fully geared-up and I ride these wheels hard and fast on the descents in really rocky terrain. I ride, on average, about thirty miles a week and I have never had to service these wheels. I have never had an issue with the free-hub. The free-hub has always engaged solidly and quickly, plus it is reasonably quiet when freewheeling. No loud 'BUZZ' to spoil the solitude, like CK hubs.

Mavic AM UST wheels

[Jan 13, 2014]
JJ

OVERALL
Strength:

Rims are awesome
Beautiful
No flex
Feel good on landings
weight

Rear hub defective

I bought a set of these 2 years ago. I was disappointed when I was riding the trail, and found that my hub wasn't engaging. It just spun away. I took it to my LBS, and he told me that he's seen bunches of Easton wheels with this issue. The problem is the engagement is dependent on 2 small, thin pieces of metal for engagement when other hub builders have about 6 pieces of metal to handle the load. I ordered a rebuild kit which Easton readily supplied (they're aware they sold junk hubs) free of charge. Not happy as these are supposedly premium wheels. They're ticking timebombs. Too bad as the rims are awesome, probably the best. I'm investigating de-hubbing these and mating them to Chris Kings because I love these rims.

[Oct 31, 2013]
millertm

OVERALL
Strength:

These rims are stiffer then my stock rims off my 2012 Carve (Stans built) and they are holding up well. Still true and no broken spokes after ~500 miles. I have been down rocky trails and muddy single tracks with out any issues. I still have not tightend my rear hub and they turn well on my QR's.

I have had air loss on my rear rim (2 different tires) over a few days. I have to keep an eye on my tire pressure. Not 100% sure it is the rims fault both tires were brand new. Spec GC 2.3 and X mountain 2,2.

Stiff and light. I'm a Clyde and was not sure about a 24 spoke wheel but I am surprised on how well these wheels have held up to my weight. Wheel color is nice and while the decals are large they still look clean and sharp. Rear wheel was a bit tight when I got the set but has now relaxed and it spins great.

[Aug 17, 2013]
Niner-Air-9-Carbon

OVERALL
Strength:

Bullet proof!

I have bashed these wheels on three single speed rigid frames, over 5000 miles and knock on wood they have never been trued or rebuilt. I had to tighten the rear hub after the first 100 miles or so and they have been maintenance free since. they still spin smooth as glass and true. I would recommend these all day long. Maybe I was lucky and got a super well built set but I will buy another set!

[Sep 29, 2012]
andre

OVERALL
Strength:

I am very happy with the overall performance, smooth, quick and responsive.

I have however broken 3 spokes in the last 5 months. Strange that I completed the rides with the broken spoke with no others breaking aswell. It is irritating though and I always have the thought of "did not finish" when I race cause I don't know if the wheels will make it. Easten has offered to rebuild the wheel so hopefully it will be better thereafter.

Beautifull and responsive but not too sure about strength.

[Jun 22, 2012]
anthony.delorenzo

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value for money, sturdy rims and spokes hold true, baller looks

Tiny bearings die quickly, hubs develop play

Awesome wheels with lousy hubs. For the price they are great, I still like them but you'll need to replace bearings way too quickly and watch for your wheels to develop play

Also not sure what a previous reviewer was talking about but I am using Shimano Ice Tech rotors on my wheels with no issues (185mm rear and 203mm front)

[Jun 15, 2012]
Throttlemire

OVERALL
Strength:

Super smooth and fast. Bling factor. Easy to go tubeless. Strong

Will NOT work with Shimano Icetech rotors!! Major Fail Easton. No instructions included to change from QR to 15mm.

I picked up a set for $650 - I don't know where MTBR gets the price of $318.75. The quality is very high and the look of the Magnesium wheels is pretty cool. I cracked a carbon rim and got these as replacements. They seem just as stiff and roll as good as DT Swiss 240 hubs. I put Shimano Icetech rotors on these hubs and they won't fit. I couldn't believe it, but the tabs on the hubs are too big and I had to buy new rotors. Total BS IMO. They came as QR for the front with a 15mm axle, but no instructions on how to change it. Another fail IMO. I had to go to Youtube to learn how to change the axle. They do roll very well. I have noticed a weird and unsettling "clunk" from time to time. I've read about freehub failures from Easton, so I'm hoping this isn't a warning sign. Overall a great wheelset if they stand the test of time and you don't have Icetech rotors or don't mind buying new rotors to use these.

• Available At

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.