e*thirteen TRS+ Wheelset

• Hub Drilling: 28

[Sep 13, 2018]
OneTrustMan

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome hub sound. Very easy to set up tubeless. Looks great. Good quality and durability.

Nothing so far,

Model Year:
2017
[Jun 30, 2012]
nowshon
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks
The oversize carbon hubs are gorgeous, and the anodizing on the rims is top notch. Graphics are striking without being overstated. Definitely a distinctive wheelset.

Stiffness
I only have one ride on them so far, but the difference in stiffness is surprisingly noticeable. Coming off of Flows with Hope hubs, no slouch wheels by any means, these feel much more precise and responsive. When you choose a line, that's where you're going, right or wrong. Then again, line corrections are easier. I haven't ridden carbon wheels, but have a new understanding why stiffer wheels are better.

Weight
I weighed the pair, without skewers, rim tape or valves, at 1620 grams. Nice.

Sound
Freehub sound is a bit loud, but sounds taut and precise, like a swiss watch on steroids.

I struggled to get the included tubeless valves to seal properly and hold air. I'm experienced with setting tubeless rims up, but these gave me fits for a while. I finally took my dremel and slightly widened the valve hole on the inner rim with a cone shaped grinding stone. This open the hole enough to seat the valves more securely, which solved the problem instantly. I would recommend EThirteen check the hole diameter on the rim as I think it's a bit small. The inner rim width of 21mm is pretty much the minimum for AM rims. Not a weakness per se, but a 23+mm inner width would make these more future-proof and competitive, especially versus American Classic's well-regarded All Mountain wheelset.

Beautiful, precise, stiff, light. A bit finicky setting up tubeless, but (now that I figured it out) easily remedied. Expensive, but with stiffness probably on par with much more expensive carbon wheels. 21mm width makes them suitable for tires up to 2.4". Ideally suited for AM riders looking to lighten up their wheels while increasing steering precision.