DT Swiss XR 1540 Wheelset

DT Swiss Champion Series wheelsets feature System Optimized Components including: SBWT welded DT Swiss rims, precision built DT Swiss Hubs featuring the highest quality stainless steel ball bearings, DT Swiss patented Star Ratchet System, state of the art double forged bladed spokes and specially designed Pro lock nipples.

X-Country Racing center lock disc

[Aug 01, 2010]
Ecogeek

OVERALL
Strength:

Light. 28 3-cross spokes makes them stiff and strong for the weight. Nice hubs - basically 240s. Good price for wheels of this quality/weight.

Slow engagement. Upgrade to 36t star ratchet (kit available from DT).
Bladed spokes expensive and more work to adjust.
Rear dish not perfect. Adjusted slightly towards drive side for to centre rim.
Spokes seemed a little slack. An extra half turn all around did not hurt - er yet!
Maybe the lock compound they put on these nipples affects the tensiometer readings. Would love to hear more from somene that knows.

I weigh 'an even leaner' 190 w gear. ;) I use these on rocky trails in real mountains. At my weight I am a bit paranoid about them and would prob not ride them on a hardtail. I have not ridden them on my hardtail!
I am not racing. I ride like I am in terms of speed but I smash into stuff happily knowing it will not cost me the race I am not in.
Plus, I never want to walk or carry the bike even on super steep trails even if it would be much smarter to push/carry. So sometimes wheels take hits that they would prefer to be carried over. I use a 2.24 motoraptor DNA on the rear (fantastic traction for steep and loose climbs) for decent protection for the rear wheel even though I am on a soft-tail. I keep it to 38psi. This has worked nicely.
On trails I intend to thrash I switch the front wheel for a DT X-1800 w 28 straight-guage spokes. Switching just the front adds minimal weight, but when I find myself flying through the air with the front-wheel wedged sideways in some rocks, I am less scared that I will have to walk home or that it will cost me a lot of money.

I note the only shakey review was from a 240lb guy that claims to "catch a few jumps every now and then" and ride "4-5 days per week at least 15 miles every time" and and had been using the wheels for 3mo - or LOTS of miles on an all-mountain bike.
If I chose these wheels and weighed another 65lb+ before I even had my kit on, and caught a few jumps over 774 miles on my all mountain bike (Slayer), I would think it was a damn miracle that the wheels were not both taco'd long ago!
From reading that review and my experience, I would say that my paranoia over the lightness of these wheels is probably misplaced and that anyone using these wheels for their intended purpose at a reasonable body-weight will not be disappointed - well as long as they upgrade that star-ratchet.
I have been using them for their intended purpose, babying them a bit with a decent sized rear tire at a decent pressure due to my weight/style and have had zero problems. No flat spots. My only issue was with the frankly crappy speed of engagement on the rear hub (considering the level of these wheels), but that has been sorted with the star-ratchet upgrade. Now I love these wheels and maybe one day I will have sufficient confidence in them to put a lighter tire on the back.
If you want a v light wheelset w decent strength for hard XC riding on a soft-tail and weigh <190loaded, look no further. These wheels FLY on the climbs, take rocky trails and can be had for great prices now they are disc. Maint is not hard and parts are available. They even come with bonus wheel-bags. Nice touch.
My efforts to baby these wheels have made me a better rider. I pick better lines and make more effort to flow even when dog-tired. So paranoia can be a good thing.
If you weigh 240, like to jump and want wheels for the AM bike, WTF are you looking at these for?!
NB, I use Easton Havoc AMs on the AM bike on trails and parks, or beater Sun SOS/disc-jockeys for resorts. Funnily enough, no flat spots! Prob would have some if I weighed 240+ though! Duh.
These weigh less than the EAston XC Ones. But have more spokes in a better pattern for the rear wheel, easier maint on the hubs, aero advantage, easier spares... I am less paranoid about these than the XC-ones which I normally let the 130lb Mrs ride on her hardtail. Even when I switch the front for the X-1800 the set weighs the same as the XC Ones.

Easton XC One.

[Apr 19, 2010]
ronenalt

OVERALL
Strength:

this weels stay tune and they are as i instlled them

non

very good weels nothing harm them

cane creek zonos

[Oct 09, 2008]
buynsell214

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, they look cool, the DT Swiss name

Weak rim, sub par spokes

I'm a cross country trail rider who rides 4-5 days per week at least 15 miles every time on the trail. I catch a few jumps every now and then to keep my training interesting. I'm 5'10" and a very lean 240 lbs. I have a set of these and have racked up just under 500 miles in the last 3 months on this rig and came home from the trails the other day only to notice my rim was out of true. Also found a flat spot. I'm not too hard on my bike and being a former college wrestler I'm agile enough to baby the wheels when needed. Durability on these was definitely a disappointment.

Mavic

[Jun 02, 2008]
john marcysiak

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and strong

Price. Decals look like they won't stay on long.

I took the new wheels to Moab. Since they are so light I rode cautiously at first. Then I forgot and just went at it as one does in Moab. I even crashed on the last day and bent the rear deraileur. Took the wheels into the shop when I got home to make sure they were not damaged and the were as true as before Moab. They are light and the DT Swiss hubs spin forever. I think I will continue to like them. Comparatively, $600 turns out to be a decent price. I guess you get what you pay for.

Mavic.

[Jan 04, 2008]
System

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, quality hub

Spokes, decals

I have them set up with Stan's and run Specialized 2Bliss tires at 27-30 psi. No problems with this set-up at 160lbs. Although, I ride pretty much exclusive X-C. Went through a full race season and they're still true. I think the aerolite spokes are a little flexy especially with only a 28 count. Would like to see Revs or Comps instead. I think the 6-bolt adapter is pretty slick and works well. I'm planning on upgrading to the XR4.2d rim before this season.

Mavic 819

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.