Dave's Wheels Speed Dream Wheelset

Speed Dream Wheel Set

[Jul 10, 2019]
thirsch

OVERALL
Strength:

I recently purchase my third wheelset from Dave and my first road wheelset. As usual, the build is awesome and I have been waiting to provide my review since recently returning from CO where I had the opportunity to complete some epic rides. Without going into the detail of the build I just have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with Dave's attention to detail and his ability to build a set of wheels for someone sight unseen. The reason I believe this is possible is due to the mere fact that Dave listens to his customers, provides guidance as needed, and is just a good listener. I probably spoke to Dave 4 or 5 times and exchanged a few emails before we finally agreed on what I wanted. I love talking wheels with Dave because it is just an educational experience. Again, Dave hit a home run for me personally because the wheels are just a perfect fit for my new ride and without a doubt the best upgrade you can make to a bike. Finally, prior to having this wheelset built, I had Dave rebuild a rear 26" on the original White Industry hub Dave used when he built the wheelset for me back in 1995-96. That is just unheard of in my book. Dave is one of the few craftsman left in an industry that continues to grow and mass produce. A BIG THANKs to Dave and all his years of wheel building!!

There are no weaknesses that I can see.

Price Paid:
2019
[Apr 22, 2019]
Tronner

OVERALL
Strength:

I live locally to Dave. Called one day to ask him about swapping out the front rim of my wheelset. He was extremely knowledgeable and explained how he does what he does and what the costs were. I checked with a bike shop closer to me and they were about $35 more than Dave for the same service. So I dropped the wheel and new rim off with Dave. He said to expect a couple of days for return. Well later that afternoon I got a call from him saying the job was done and I could pick up the wheel! Same-day service and a great job done. He even left a couple of extra spokes in case one breaks. Couldn't be happier!

Can't think of one thing. Well, maybe just an easier method for payment would be nice, but it wouldn't stop me from going back to Dave for a second.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2019
[Apr 26, 2017]
Scott brown
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Rims are perfectly true after 5 years.

I had my wheels made after I bent the ones that came stock. I ride all mountain and downhill and after 5 years of bike park runs and hundreds of trail rides they are still perfectly true. Have not even had to tighten a spoke. That's why I had to write this review. It really is amazing.

[Jun 30, 2016]
Troy Edler

OVERALL
Strength:

Workmanship, customer service, product knowledge

none that I know

Dave was a professional from my first phone call. Dave went over all my option and suggested the best setup for me, my bike, and my style of riding. Wheels have been perfect since. Dave went above and beyond the norm when I damaged a wheel on vacation that he had just built for me. It was no fault of Dave's build. My tire burped off the rim and I folded the rim over on a rock. He had me back in the saddle within 24 hours. The level of service Dave provides in unmatched. I will be a repeat customer.

[Jun 21, 2016]
dgw7000

OVERALL
Strength:

He listens to you!! Wheel just stay true all the time.

Dave is the best, he does the little things that take extra time and we the riders benefit from his expertise. Build time is fast and his packing bombproof!! Other's may be good but Dave's the BEST!!

[Jul 30, 2015]
BikerDude1

OVERALL
Strength:

High quality build
Knowledgeable
Honest
Fast

Folks. Dave is the real deal.

After teling Dave about my riding style, terrain, weight, and what I'm looking for in a wheelset, I took his recommendation and ordered a wheelset (I9 torch hubs, Stan's Crest rims). I received the wheels within one week of Dave receiving my check. The wheels were fantastic. Totally changed the feel of the bike (Santa Cruz Tallboy C). Timed myself on my local trail and cut off 8 min and 30 sec com my previous personal best of 1 hr 28 min.

Here's the thing about Dave. Three weeks later, I had a problem with my front rim. Let me emphasize. It was not Dave's fault. I sent him back the wheel, he called me on Sunday afternoon (where do you get this level of service nowadays), and we spoke for about 30 min about next steps and other things like ideal tire pressure, wheel maintenance, etc. For a very reasonable fee (again I stress that it was not Dave's fact at all), Dave promptly rebuilt the wheel with a new rim and I received in a few days.

I can't recommend Dave enough and will certainly be going to him for my next set of wheels.

[Jun 03, 2015]
onlyontwo

OVERALL
Strength:

- Customization
- Knowledge
- Offerings
- Honest input
- Customer Service

Zero, zilch.

I contacted Dave about building me two wheelsets a little over a year ago. I had heard that he was the guy to talk to for hand-built wheels that ride great and are as light as they can reasonably be. I worked in the bike industry, so I sent two sets of King hubs and two sets of Stan's rims to him to build. After speaking with him on the phone a few times, he recommended that I go with Arch EX's vs. the Flow EX's I had shipped to him. He swapped my Flows (which I didn't buy from him) for Arches. He didn't need to do that, and he did it anyways. I have ridden the snot out of the two pairs, and save one bent spoke from a stray stick (not his issue at all), they have been flawless. This is despite my repeated sideways jump landings and general tomfoolery aboard my bike. I'm looking at getting another set built, and Dave will be my go-to.

If you are looking to have some wheels built, or have specific needs (heavy, aggressive, light, etc.), give Dave a call. Believe what everyone says, this guy is the real deal.

Cheers,
-A

Stan's built wheels, other hand-built wheels, DT Swiss M series.

[May 27, 2015]
kalroot

OVERALL
Strength:

Great wheels. Unbeatable customer service.

Phone only contact.

I got some I9 torch hubs with Velocity Blunt rims built by Dave about 1.5yrs ago. They have been great. The process of working with him, time to completion, value, customization, and actual build of the wheels were all as great as everyone here says. What is worth expanding on, however, was that I contacted him recently d/t a broken spoke. I just wanted to get his diagnosis of my problem, but he had me bring him the wheel (I live about 45min from him but do not know him personally) and he said he'd have a look at it. He took the wheel, corrected the errors in spoke selection and tension by my LBS, put in new spokes for the ones that were damaged, gave me 4 back up spokes, topped me off w/ Stans, fixed a problem w/ my valve, trued the wheel, and resealed the tubeless tire. ALL FREE OF CHARGE. Freaking blew my mind. And, mind you, the broken spokes were likely due to my having dropped my chain to the wheel side and scratched the spokes => my fault => not a problem with the build he did. Believe the hype of the 4.94 rating. I told him he's got a customer for life. To top it off, he gave me a very honest (and positive) review of the cheap carbon rims (I asked about LB) and is willing to do builds using them. When I decide to pull the trigger on my next wheelset, I won't consider anyone else.

[Feb 23, 2015]
Itripper

OVERALL
Strength:

True, strong, and cool looking

They gonna cost you!

Dave built me my wheels in 2003. I told him I wanted them to be strong. Well he built me very strong wheels that are light too. At the time I was 200lbs and rough on my mountain bike so I needed bulletproof. Well here it is 2015 now, I have ridden this bike in many different countries and I now weigh 260lbs! In all these years these wheels never needed truing, and I only thought about them recently as finally 1 spoke broke 12 years later! Wheel stayed true, just replaced spoke and it is GTG. The wheels I had built were early tubeless (no flats in 12 years with stans) and has purple King hubs with purple nipples that look so cool. While at the time I thought the wheel were too expensive, considering how many junk wheels my other bikes have gone through since then these turned out to be the cheapest over time.

[Jan 28, 2015]
GNfanatic

OVERALL
Strength:

Craftsmanship
Service
Performance
Never, ever had an issue after 6 years. Both wheels still true!

Waiting for the delivery

Dave built me a set of wheels (CK hubs) 6 years ago for my Turner Burner. We spoke on the phone and he asked me several questions pertaining to my weight, riding style etc etc. Very nice guy, incredible patience (I asked alot of questions as well) and they were completed the date he said they would be. 6 years later I am still riding the same wheels, I never had to get them trued. I did alot of good riding and while everything else was causing me headaches, these wheels were dead balls reliable. My new 29er will need a wheelset soon and there is only one person I am calling.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.