Crank Brothers Iodine AM Wheels Wheelset

Crank Brothers Iodine Disc Wheelset: Durable All Mountain and Freeride wheelset (rim spine left intact for added strength). Welded, anodized 6061-T6 aluminum rim with unique "Y" cross-section.

[Apr 28, 2018]
rangerpom

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought 27.5 plus wheels with near 30mm interal width. Arrives with a spare spoke. I fitted maxxis 2.8 DHR & DHF tyres tubeless. They are fitted to my E160 800. Look sensational, rise beatifull and feel super rigid. Over the moon with my purchase. Look so cool.

Relatively new so cant comment on durability, but there have been few issues with the older, narrower versions and with quality sealed bearings I expect them to go very well. Did I mention how cool they look?

Price Paid:
[Dec 31, 2013]
Zac
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

None. Worst wheels ever made

NOT FOR OFFROAD USE

Should come with this label ^

Once you bend it, time for a new wheels. ABSOLUTE SH*T. Complete waste of money.

If you think these wheels, you are obviously a piss weak rider. Anyone over 50kg who actually rides hard and aggressive , don't even bother.

Only thing I'd bolt these wheels on is my Grandmas commuter bike.

Rip off. Thought they were a STUPID design, got some for wholesale at work.

Worst wheels ever made, designed to be disposable so you have to buy a whole new wheels, complete and utter wank.

I HATE THESE WHEELS

E13 TRS, Dt Swiss fr 500

[Oct 20, 2013]
R J Biker

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, stiffness, smooth ride, they look good.

bad grease inside the bearings.

After fit them on my bike, my first ride was very smooth and nice on a not nice at all track, I have been riding since 6 months and everything was good until I jumped and crashed my front wheel on a concret bridge defence. The 203mm disc broke the spokes and the entire wheel was totally destroyed. I had several suppositions about it but now think that there's no way that any other wheel could survive to a crash like that one. I have tried several times unsuccessful to get the rim on it's original shape but they are too stiff to get unfold them with your own hands, or even jumping on it.. so believe me when i say they are very strong wheels,. I bought a new front wheel and I am ready to ride.!

dt swiss custom wheels.

[Jul 10, 2013]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

Wheelset is incredible. I agree with why are there so many negative reviews out there. I dont get it. These wheels have more bling than any other wheelset and are very LOUD. I cant tell you how many deer/bears I scare away. I've done numerous 24 hour solo races with ZERO issues. I ride east coast rocks, roots and everything else Mother Nature can throw at me. ZERO issues. Every single time I bring my bike into my lbs the 1st thing everyone notices are the wheels. Excellent product. Stiff, light and fast. Period.

Cost. You get what you pay for.

See above. Excellent product

Mavic SL

[Jun 20, 2013]
Kayton

OVERALL
Strength:

Look cool. That is all

They are weak aluminum that dents easily. The spokes are proprietary and no bike shop caries them usually, making them difficult to replace.

I've been riding ese for almost a year and have dents on dents and scrapes. Final blow is a broken spoke. If you are looking at buying these keep looking, Crak bros stuff is weak garbage.

[Mar 20, 2013]
dniott

OVERALL
Strength:

how they look and sound.

every thing about them worst wheels ever POS!!!!!!!!!!! my huffy had better wheels on it back in 1990.

If you want to have fun and not walk your bike back 12 miles because your REAR HUB exploded,do not get this wheel set. i have had to send them back to cb 4 times !!!!! with a replacement rear rim witch i paid $130 ,and the last time i talk to them at cb i got so much attitude that i had to say sorry that the rear hub broke for the to do anything about it.Most of all the wheels had problems with in 3 early season rides WTF!

mavic 819

[Mar 15, 2013]
nay-nay

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, stay true, styling, easy to go tubeless, front can mount to any fork with correct adapters.

None that I have encourtered. I had Crank Brothers send me a new hub since mine was the original design. But I am still running the original with no problems as of yet, going into the 3rd season.

First of all, be aware that the SMALLEST tire you can run on these rims is a 2.3. I can only assume that the riders who flat spotted their rims ran a smaller tire then required. You need more volume to run lower pressure, so I have had 2.4's front and rear. I run them at about 28 psi, which works great for my local singletrack. I have tried lower psi but I get slower. If you want to run smaller tires then you need to get the Cobalts.
I have had no issues with the hub, but I do not ride in muddy conditions and I tend to tear my bike down frequently. I use Dumond Tech Freehub Oil to keep it running nice and smooth. The heavy grease is not recommened in these hubs. The cassette does come off rather easily, which can make things a pain as you will need to remove the cassete to reinstall the hub and insure the sealing o-ring is installed correctly. Avoiding this step will lead to mud, dirt and whatever other grime you ride in geting into your hub and wreaking havoc. Also, I use a torque wrench when installing the cassette nut to ensure that I get it to the specified torque. You'd be surprised how 40 n.m. REALLY feels. "Good-n-tight" is not recommended for this step, precision is key. It's a $950 wheelset, treat it like one. It's like buying an Audi and bringing it to a Jiffy Lube tech for repair/maintenance, then being upset when your car is damaged due to improper techniques. The hub likes SRAM cassettes, I have been using the PG-970 with no clearence issues.
I truly think this is a great wheelset, it improved my ride leaps and bounds. They are very smooth and fast rollers, they seem to pick up speed when you have the right tires on them. The hub noise is a bit loud, I personally like it. It's a good warning for other users of the trails and the horses hear me coming, so I don't spook them. As with anything, what you get out of these wheels is what you put into them.

Just the stock set that come on the bike

[Feb 17, 2013]
bohns1

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, stiffness, durability, rim width, tough..

expensive.............

Not sure why these wheels get so much hate........i've held off on my review until i got a few seasons in on these bad boys....I can honestly say ever since they rectified free hub issues the wheels are nothing short of stellar.....i've been on mine for 2.5 seasons with tons of abuse....Don't understand how some guys are flat spotting these...Must be serious clydesdales because i'm 200 with gear and i beat the crap out of these with no issues........Now the Kronolog !!!! Ha thats a different story.......Anyways!!!!!! these wheels are siackkkk!!!! despite what the haters say.......!!!!!!!!!

[Dec 14, 2012]
clydecrash

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff, fairly light, seem strong, quick engagement, look good.

A freehub had to be replaced. Rear hub parts come apart easily.

I have two sets that use for rough trail riding. I liked the first set so much, that I bought the second. Seem to work fine. Very stiff (more stiff than any hand-built wheel), so much so that I do not like them on a hardtail. Had RD hanger break on me, which sent my RD into a spoke. Even though the spoke was bent, straightened and tensioned--still fine. I read about the freehubs, and one was going out on me, which CB replaced quickly (I check my all my equipment before there are problems). The other wheel has the "updated" hub, so I hope that is the end of it. Rear hub parts come apart easily (e.g., easy to pull off the cassette with the freehub). Overall, good set of wheels and I like the looks. Not certain I would use them for "freeride" though. They do not seem tough enough for that.

Handbuilts with Mavic/King/Hadley; XTR Trail

[Aug 21, 2012]
Al Mendez

OVERALL
Strength:

None known

Hoops WAY too soft and dent too easily on none technical terrain

Iodine wheelset only ridden with UST tires at 32+ lbs and somehow the rims rolled over in several places within a month. Some loser named Tim Young at Crank Brothers told me that it was due to rider error. Rider error, GMAFB!!!!! I am not an agressive rider at all and it occured on a non technical trail. It is due to poor design and craftsmanship sir. I will never purchase another CB product.
I have been riding ZTR Flows laced to Hadley Hubs without issue since tossing the pathetic one month old dented Iodines in the back of my garage.