Crank Brothers Cobalt XC Wheels Wheelset

Cobalt blue Aluminium 6061-6t wheels with included front/rear split qr included. Disc brake compatible with sealed cartridge bearings. Stylish top of the line wheels for an awesome price.

[Jan 04, 2017]
Bob
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

look cool, inexpensive...kinda light

rear wheel out of true in a couple of months. I had Mavic Crossmax wheels for 5 years NO ISSUES except the free hub finally gave out...they were GREAT wheels. Next time I'll spend the extra $ for better quality

if you ride mountain with little abuse...these might work for you....otherwise, buy Mavic

[Dec 06, 2014]
Steven Parr

OVERALL
Strength:

Look good

Poor quality and dismal warranty/customer service. Dangerous

I have a new set of CB Cobalt wheels that were set up tubeless with Stan's and a Hans Dampf tire. The rear wheel failed catastrophically in the first 2 minutes of riding in a straight line on asphalt road riding to the trail. I cleaned all the slime off and cleaned the tire and wheel. Put it all back together and it lasted 10 minutes the next time. Clearly a problem with the wheel.

I bought the wheels new on a new Santa Cruz TB and the guy who sold it to me asked me to ship it back from FL to CA bc he lives by the factory. He took it back and they refused to warranty it, saying there was nothing wrong with the wheel. He was able to get the Hans Dampf to seat and sent the same brand new (defective) Crank Brothers wheel back. I rode for about 3 hours and now the front wheel separated on landing a jump and sent me onto the trail sliding off into Saw Palmetos.

Now afraid to jump the bike, I decided to put new WTB tires on the wheels so that maybe the Crank Brothers wheels wouldn't get me killed. The WTB wierwolf seated fine on the front and held pressure but the WTB wolverine was very difficult to seat on the rear and after it did, continued to leak air. I inflated to 38 PSI in an attempt to seat the bead and was going to ride the wheel in an attempt to seat the bead and stop the air leaking but it catastrophically separated from the wheel while inflating the tire. Cleaned everything and put it back together. This time it failed at 30 PSI!

My advice is not to buy Crank Brothers wheels. They don't work and the company won't stand behind them when they fail. Crank Brothers cobalt wheels are especially dangerous. I'm going to buy a different brand of wheels now.

DON"T BUY CRANK BOTHERS ! ! !

[May 07, 2013]
neilius

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks good, fully tubeless & no need for rim tape. Spokes are easy to replace without having to remove tyre, rotor or cassette.

Spokes keep breaking. Replacement spokes are expensive. Rim tab (which connects to spoke) completely tore out. Doesn't work too well after one spoke breaks.

I love the look of these wheels, but the spokes have let me down too many times.

I do a lot of riding. Perhaps it's because there aren't as many spokes as a normal wheel, but these wheels seem to be a magnet for sticks. I've lost count of the number of times I've broken spokes on the rear wheel. Once the spoke even ripped out of the rim tab without breaking.

On a 32 spoke wheel, if you break one spoke you should still be ok to ride as there are plenty more spokes to take the strain, but on this 24 spoke wheel, once you break a single spoke the wheel goes out of true, and it places too much tension on the other spokes. You have to replace broken spokes right away or you'll end up breaking even more spokes due to increased tension.

This means you must carry spare spokes. And replacement spokes are very expensive.

I like the envious looks I get from people who look at the wheels on my bike - it looks cool.

BUT these wheels don't have the reliability I need.

Giant PXC-1

[Feb 08, 2013]
citiznkain

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, tubeless ready. Love the dual QR skewers

can't think of any

I built these up, added a new cassette, rotors and chain. I have not had any kind of an issue with these. I had some questions (setup related, not quality related) and CB was able to help without having to wait for ever for a reply.

[Jan 15, 2013]
Terry

OVERALL
Strength:

look sick, nice quick release

flimsy, bend easy, a joke to true up

I rode these wheel set 1 season before the rear wheel was so bent it needed to be replaced. I sent it back to C/B and the technician called with a quote of $150, after how much I spent for the wheel set and the inconvenience I was not spending another penny, so much for the warranty. I purchased some Mavic 819's w/ Hope hubs and have not had a problem since. I definitely don’t recommend this wheels set for cross country riding, brittle.

[May 19, 2012]
Kashi
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough for the weight, look nice, easy to set up tubeless, and are fairly light.

Original rear hub

I have had these wheels for the past year and have used them for aggressive XC and trail rides. Crank bros replaced the rear hub body and I have had zero issues since. I have burped a few tires off on rocky descends, but otherwise they have preformed really well. I would recommend these wheels to anyone looking for a nice set of trail/XC wheels.

Mavic, sunn, bontrager, dt swiss, and azonic

[Apr 10, 2012]
steveo

OVERALL
Strength:

look snazzy. light.

after less than one year, I hopped off a small embankement (1 ft) to find the front wheel was completely farked.
the guy at the bike shop (Velofix - they are awesome) said that he has heaps of problems / complaints / returns and basically they are an overengineered unreliable part. I would have to agree!

good to look at, unreliable and overpriced and soon no-one will want them. If Paris Hilton were a bike wheel this would be it.

wheels of 26 27 and 700c varieties

[Dec 31, 2011]
mbell

OVERALL
Strength:

Style and function all in one.

I have a hard time regulating myself on my XC bike... I have a tendency to forget that I'm not on my DH bike, and the wheels are the first thing to pay for it. I had a hard time keeping them true. I'm in the 200lb range and an aggressive rider, so I really can't blame the wheels.

Great wheels if you have self control.

CB Iodine to replace these.

[Jul 24, 2011]
Micko

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, Light, Cheap

Hub problems, dentable alloy rim

Good quality considering the price. easy to dent as with most light rims, esp DT swiss. They look the part!

Shimano XT, XTR, DT Swiss XR1450

[Jul 07, 2011]
donfilmore25

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Stiff, easy to service/maintain, UST tires mount and seal easily

Lots of seal drag on the hub bearings. Some cassettes rub against the rear hub flange (My 9 speed XT does); I contacted CB and asked about this and they are aware of this, they also told me to use the shim rings included to mitigate this issue; however, for a $950 retail set of wheels this is just not acceptable. My wheels came with the old hub design, CB was very prompt in sending me a new re-designed replacement hub body.

This wheels have been good to me and overall have performed the task intended. In hind sight, I regret changing my Crossmax's for these set. They have potential to be great wheels, but have some issues to be addressed first.

Mavic Crossmax XT