Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Wheelset

Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 26" Disc Wheelset: Unique double-anodized black rim with red center line, plus red nipples and pins. 19mm ID (23.6mm OD) welded, 6061-T6 aluminum rim with machined "Y" ribbed cross-section. 1.6 spokes

[Jan 08, 2014]
ajax

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight, look unique and are easy to set up tubeless

the rear hub was redesigned several years ago and is a non-issue now

I have run these wheels since 2008, ran thousands of miles and currently have 4 sets on 4 bikes (3 26" and 1 29er). The oldest wheel set was refitted with a new hub by Crank Brothers and the newest set, a 29" Cobalt 3 is my favorite. A stick broke a spoke in 2011 and though the wheel was out of true I still rode it back.

[Mar 20, 2013]
eggy

OVERALL
Strength:

Design. My Storck Rebel Nine is build up with these 29'.

Rear hub

The rear wheel hub has from the beginning on a default inside the hub.. It costs me more that 6 month before Storck took action. Still no new rear wheel. Terrible service from Crank Brothers Germany. Don't buy these wheel.

[Aug 04, 2012]
Magnum Opus

OVERALL
Strength:

great looking, light, durable

kinda noisy

I have had these wheels for an entire season, and they have endured some considerable abuse (for example: watch my you tube vid..."sugar bottom slamfest"!)they still look fantastic on my titus motolite (anodized blue) and once I matched them up with a pair of schwalbe nobby nics, they really sung. they are expensive, but I would highly recommend them. its the one upgrade that instantly made me faster, and better at biking.

[Sep 18, 2011]
timefleas

OVERALL
Strength:

Pleasant appearance, unique. Tubes or tubeless. Fairly light.

The hubs sound like they are filled with gravel!! They turn smoothly but sound horrible--felt like I had playing cards attached to my spokes--only more serious, like ground glass and broken bearings were being rotated. Compatible with a very small range of tires, from something like 1.9 to 2.2. Hard to mount tires on rims.

DO NOT BUY THE COBALT XC/RACE WHEELSET!! I used them once, for about 4 kilometers, and thought both hubs had disintegrated--smooth riding, yes--quiet and unobtrusive?--Absolutely not. Any of my other wheelsets fare better than this one. It has been a long while since I posted here on MTB--I rejoined/registered specifically to warn people about these abysmal wheels--a complete waste of hard earned cash.

Crossmax, American Classic, Shimono 14 spoke, etc.--all better than this set.

[Jun 27, 2011]
k1rider

OVERALL
Strength:

First and foremost, the looks. But what I've really felt on the trail is the increased stiffness and lower weight over my previous wheelsets (usually stock DT combinations), 15mm QR also helps. Tubeless ready is also a plus

Cost and need to carry custom spare spokes

They look Sik, no free hub issues since CrankBrothers redesigned the 2011 3's and switched manufactures. Stiffness and they have a lower weight than comparable and more expensive I9's. Spendy, but for the weight they could be more expensive.