Cane Creek WAM Team Issue Wheelset

• Spoke count: 24 front/28 rear
  • Spokes: Titanium
  • Rim: Box-section aluminum, 26"
  • Hub shell: 6061-T6 aluminum
  • Hub axle: 6061-T6 aluminum (f), titanium (r)
  • Axle spacing: 100mm front/135mm rear
  • rear cassette: Shimano XTR 8/9-speed HG
  • Weight: Front 682g; 940g
  • Price: Front $290; Rear $560

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 21, 2015]
    JTNY

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight, super strong , excellent hubs

If you are looking to purchase a clean set please see my FS post!

[May 23, 2007]
    Jan Feuchtner

OVERALL
    Strength:

RELIABILITY

Stickers start to come off after SIX YEARS!

So, this is cool. I Googled my own name and up popped my review from April 3rd, 2002 reviewing these wheels after I had owned them for a year. So, I guess that means I started riding them six years ago.
    "The Bottom Line" is that I've used these wheels for everything: XC racing, bombing downhills at ski resorts, commuting to work...I mean everything. They've fallen off a (friends) roof rack to leave a demolished bike and were simply transferred to the new bike. I've replaced the front cartridge bearings once and have literally only trued them (minorly) about 3 times. I have to keep moving my pads up and down on the rim because that's the only part which is slowly wearing down. God I hope these wheels never die. Unfortunately they don't make the yellow rims anymore but Cane Creek assured me they could build 'em back up on black ones when the sidewalls wear out. Bless those guys!

Shimano XTR

[Feb 18, 2004]
    G Love

OVERALL
    Strength:

very strong, light, dependable, cool

they have such high spoke tension that if you break a spoke they get way out of true

these wheels are a great alternative to crossmax. i have ridden mine with absolutely no problems, i haven't even trued them and I bought them from a friend! I did break a ti spoke and that caused the rim to go way out of whack. also, the ti spokes ain't cheap. this is the third bike for these wheels. they are great.

chris king/x3.1, crossmax sl disc, shimano/mavic stuff

[Apr 11, 2003]
    dremark

OVERALL
    Strength:

The Bomb! Pure and simple. I've ridden these wheels for almost two years and haven't had a SINGLE problem. No truing, no weird noises, nothing. Just dependable, light weight, dope-looking wheels...

$$$

Just bought a Specialized S-Works FSR and can't wait to upgrade to the new Team Disc wheels.

Crossmax UST

[Oct 15, 2001]
    Tom Bjelic

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very Light,strong
    Blue anodized ti spokes, sweet!!!
    Beutifully machined

Wierd spoke lengths and wrench

I was very apprehensive about getting a wheel that required a special wrench and non standard spokes but the deal was good so I took the plunge. Its been about 6 months of thrashing and I'm still waiting for them to go out of true. I can't believe they hold up so well to abuse. I'm on a long travel light freeride rail bike setup so they do make 3-4 ft drops regularly and do it without a hitch. My philosophy is rather than buy the burly heavy stuff I'll push the envelope of a quality light weight product and although this doesn't always work in my favour, It did with these wheels.
    The only servicing was some bearing regreasing and clean up after a 24 hours of mud race, other than that they have been
    maintanence free. If only all mtb products could work this well.

Mavics, syncros, wolbler, bontrager

[Mar 26, 2003]
    Mike Kovach

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great looks, light, very fast, excellent ride, stiff, reliable design, great customer support

The best wheelset I have had the pleasure to ride on. Extremely strong, stiff, light and good looking. Well engineered design with a Shimano XTR freehub body which should make it very easy to service or find parts for the rear hub. Cane creek customer service is top notch. I needed a front spoke cover and they sent me one immediately with no hassles. I will purchase everything else they make as I need it. Simply the best set of wheels you can buy with absolutely no weaknesses, except the fact that you will love them so much you'll want a second set.

mavic crossride, spinergy xyclone race, velomax climax

[Mar 20, 2004]
    Twisted Ti

OVERALL
    Strength:

Rolling resistence doesn't seem like much of a battle to some, but once you ride these you'll feel as if the wheel is pulling for you.

Due to the unique nipple placement many mechanics don't know how to true them... fine adjustment, not coarse. However, they seldom need to be trued. If not cared for, the spoke ends may pull through the rim.

Tried and true!! If only I could get my hands on some that fit in my price range. They should definatley be classified on the same level as CrossMax and other brands of similiar ilk. If you weigh over 180 ride; like a cat and you'll be pleased, ride like a bull and they will sumbit. Nothing can be this light and take repeative punishiment like that, beware.
    Buy it if you can afford it!!!

Mavic(Max,Ride), Sun, bontrager

[Apr 03, 2002]
    Jan Feuchtner

OVERALL
    Strength:

These are the strongest, fastest, and lightest wheels I've come across and I work in a bike shop. I've done some wild drops on them and have yet to truth them ONCE!

The ti spokes are as good as they come but where do they come from? Not to worry...I've never broken one!

I've raced X-country on these things, I've done six foot drops on concrete and all I've ever been able to "accomplish" are flat tires. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to break these wheels, but if I did, I'm almost sure I wouldn't be able to. I've owned these wheels for over a year and have not trued them ONE time!!

Mavic and Shimano

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.