American Classic MTB Disc 29 Wheelset

American Classic have beenThere sinceThe beginning of 29ers. A new set of light wheels isThe keyTo improved performance of your bike.This is especiallyTrue for cross country riding on 29ers, where riders search for more acceleration on climbs, speedy descents, decisive handling and faster rolling onThe flat. Bill Shook (AC president) dialed inThis concept withThe design ofThe newTubeless 26mm wide x 23mm deep rim which is wider, stiffer and supportsTheTire better for more ground control. Bead ba

[Apr 12, 2012]
mtbcali1234

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, Stiffness, Positive hub sound, Downright sexy, STIFFNESS.

Acceleration, a little creeking when pounding out climbs.

First i will start by saying these replaced my DT 450sl's on my 2010 Stumpy Expert Hardtail so a lot of this is compared to those wheels. I will also throw im a high school racer and weigh around 120 and i was looking for some rugged wheels i could ride every day but wouldnt be a pain to race. There is one thing for sure though, THESE WHEELS ROCK. They are incredibly stiff for their weight of 1600g and loads stiffer than the 450sl. It amazes me how stiff these wheels are. On the 450's i used to choose my lines on the smoother side and took the rough stuff slower. These wheels are definitely stronger and i have thrown some pretty gnarly stuff at them and they take it like a champ. I have had them for around 3 months now and they are still true as when i got them. The paint is awesome and has held up extremely well. I will say be careful using a tire iron, especially the blue park tool ones as they leave a bunch of blue plastic behind that is near impossible to get off. One thing i was disappointed by was the acceleration. I dont know whether the hub has less teeth or its just the design but it the engagement is definitely on the slower side. Its not that big a deal its just you dont like hearing that loud "Clunk" every time you put some power down. And as a racer i was looking to shave some centripetal weight and get that "zippier" lighter feel. This just isnt there and i didnt feel the super noticeable difference i was looking for, but there still a little improvement. On another note, these things go tubeless without even a hint of fight and im fairly sure a four year old could do it. So if you are thinking about getting these wheels, go for it. The stiffness to weight ratio on these hoops is amazing, add in the lightweight and strength and AC had exactly what i was looking for, a light, rugged, every day wheel that i could shred on during the week and race on on the weekends. I wouldnt recommend these wheels as a Race day only wheel or an all mountain destruction wheelset. Its more of an all arounder, and a good one at that.

Dt Swiss 450sl

[Jan 25, 2012]
ramkol1

Perfect performance
0 maintenance so far
Very easy is install any tire I tried.
Love the graphics!

[Dec 19, 2011]
irishpitbull

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, strength, and price.

Stems. One broke during a ride. I blame it on a stick.

These are the redesigned free hub and hub assembly units '12 model. Probably the best wheels I have used so far. The redesigned hubs engage as fast as the DT350's on my FSR bike but weight only 1600 grams. No flex (180lbs) and stay true after a pounding.

American Classic tech support and customer service was pretty awesome when I was in the research phase of my purchase. Honestly they talked my ear off. Great guys.

The only issue with the wheels was broken stem on the trail. I'm 99% it was do to downed tree I clipped. AC replaced the stem with new one.

Roval Control Trail 29, DT Swiss 450SL

[Nov 17, 2011]
clay

OVERALL
Strength:

Vertically Stiff, weigth

soft metal on rims = dents
AWFUL hub design

I weigh about 100 pounds. Arguably too heavy for these wheels. However, I have never had a problem with truing them or stiffness. I have trashed two or three free hub bodies. The hubs come loose about once per week. If they get loose and you don't tighten them, the freehub can develop play. Because of this play, the teeth can mar and grind down - causing the hubs to eventually fail. This happened to me twice during rides. One time it was 1/2 way through the CT ride up searle pass. Luckily I coasted down after making it to the top. It was difficult to find anyone who had a freehub body to save my 2 week vacation. RUN AWAY FROM THESE WHEELS!

Mavic Cr29ssmax

[Oct 28, 2011]
nickav21

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredibly light, strong, not too blingy, but not too boring

Need truing more often than others

I bought these wheels used locally from someone who had put one really hard season on them. I got them as a temporary set to get me through a few months until I decided on my long-term wheels. However, these have really exceeded my expectations. They are really strong for their weight! I started out going pretty easy on them seeing as our trails are super rocky and blows to a 1600g wheelset at speed make me cringe. Turns out I didn't really need to be, though. These things really take a beating, and while they do need to be trued more often than some wheels, they have made it through two pretty hard seasons. As it stands, I'll be rocking these until they break. For the weight, there's just not much reason to switch!

Mavic Crossmax, Mavic Crossride

[May 24, 2011]
AKDonny

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks cool, very light.

Poor customer service. Had a recall on the hub, but some how I ended up paying $85 for them to put in the part and another $45 for shipping after being told that the recall did not apply to my hub despite my serial number matching that of the recall. Not what I expected from a "high end" wheel set

I dug these wheels when they were working, but when a defect from the factory costs the buyer well over a hundred bucks, you gotta ask why these wheels are so pricey.

Classic, American high prices and poor service.

Round wheels that were heavy, cheap, and super reliable.

[May 16, 2011]
IstongKowldPaRin

OVERALL
Strength:

Tubeless out of the box, relatively lightweight, carries my 190lbs a$$ without complaints, still true after half a year, spins fast.

weighed in at 1700 grams, 100grams from advertised

What I have is the 29er Buzzsaw, the XC version.

I bought this wheelset since the newer models have improvement on their bearing systems and had a conversion kit for 9mm to 15mm qr, and already has the tubeless rim strip, along with tubeless valves. Oh, and it rolls really quick.

I am just a bit disappointed that the wheelset is heavier than I expected, to the tune of 100 grams.

Maybe it's because of the tubeless rimstrip? Customer service never replied to my queries.

Nevertheless, I am happy with my purchase.

stocker 29er wheelsets

[Mar 10, 2011]
dubdryver

OVERALL
Strength:

Very Light, I don't believe the listing is correct, but they are 1600g, very fast, great finish, great tubeless interface, perfect design

none, and I really mean NONE!

From my first set of Stan's 355s built up w/ AmClassic hubs, I fell in love with the AmClassic hubs. The Tubeless 29 wheelset is a phenominal. If you are looking for an all in one wheelset, you will be very hard pressed to find better hoops! The hubs are extremely fast and low maintenance. On mine,(you can reference my profile to see them)it has red anodized hubs, with black spokes, and 2 white spokes to help the rider locate the valve. Racers use to spray pain their spokes the same way. When in a race and get a flat, sweat is dripping down your face, and your glasses are fogging up. The last thing you want to spend time looking for is the valve stem. Ingeniously, AmClassic implimented two offsetting colored spokes to make finding that valve stem easier. The valves are longer anodized (red)and look great with removable cores. I have to mention that these valves are less expensive to buy replacements than any others from AmClassic website!,The rims have a large arch profile similar to road bikes, and probably work with a slightly more aerodynamic profile for wide open cadence sections of a race. The aspect that I feel is really makes this wheelset shine besides the hubs is the tubeless setup: It is by far the best tubeless interface I have worked with. I was able to take both of my Maxxis Ikon 2.2 EXC and set the bead w/ a foot pump and without sealant. Ofcourse they didn't not hold the air for more than 24hrs, that much was assumed, but getting them to seal up tubeless was a breeze! Since it worked so good, I just injected the sealant through the removable valve and went through the motions of shaking the rims and such.

I know this may be long winded, but outside of the frame, the wheels are the biggest upgrade you can make to your bike, and they aren't cheap! So I think it is worth giving all the information I can. These wheels are the best I have rode..period! They are light, fast, reliable, and well throught through. AmClassic has stellar customer service, and from my experience, they actually enjoy talking to their customers. So unless you are looking for a full custom build w/ I9's, CK's, Hadley, or something else..buy these and call it a day.

Disclaimer: These are intended for XC/XC Race. They are not huck/DH/AM/FR wheels. If you are looking for a wheelset of that nature, there are wheels that will be a better fit. For their intended use, they are one of the best you can buy!

Stan's 355s, Roval Control EL 29

[Jun 15, 2010]
dirtdog

OVERALL
Strength:

weight, durability, tubeless ready, looks

This review is for the new tubeless wheelset. I am an aggressive, 140lb, Cat1 and have put these wheels through the ringer the past 3 months, racing every other weekend in TX and OK. Rear wheel developed a little play in the hub which was easily remedied with a bearing adjustment. Other than that, haven't even needed to true them. This is a great set of wheels that can be used on race day and training days due to their low weight and durability. I have set them up tubeless with Maxxis, Schwalbe, and, WTB tires and they all inflated easily with a compressor. Bead locks in tight to the rim. Wheels came with rim strips, but no valve stems. The red anodized hubs and one red spoke are pretty trick, too.

bontrager, stans, wtb

[Jun 13, 2010]
Ken365

OVERALL
Strength:

These wheels are extremely light and durable.They are also tubeless ready. I'm 6'4, weight 100kg's(220lb,s) have just done Joberg2c 932km(579miles)in 9days.Covering district roads,rocky single tracks, drop offs with out a single hitch.

None so far

Can't find a set of wheels this light that don't have a weight limit. Shimano claim no weight limit, but ask Shimano and they would not recommend their wheels if you are over a 100kg's

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.