Stans NoTubes XC Tubeless Kit Tubeless Tire

Do you want to try tubeless but dont want to deal with the investment. Stan's Tubeless System will convert your existing wheel set to tubeless using either standard or tubeless tires. The new molded rim strips offer 2 sealing points and a removable valve core. For 21-24mm rims.

[Aug 02, 2018]
las-palmas

OVERALL
Strength:

None that I know of, too thin to seal any hole more than a couple of mm diametre.

The only sealant worse than this is Caffelatte. Get a hole on the rear tyre and you need new clothes as the sealant spraying on will never get off. Dry out and need topping off every few months leaving lumps inside the tyre.

Purchased:
New
[Mar 08, 2014]
LeeJ

OVERALL
Strength:

More traction, less flats

Can be tricky or frustrating to set up

If you follow the video that Stan has on his site, and refer back to that if you have any problems, you'll be fine. First you have to make sure the tires will seat and hold air first. My front tire went on and held air within 30 seconds with just a hand pump. I was psyched. The back tire, not so much. I couldn't get it to pop onto the seat at all. So I tried a compressor, and it actually didn't work the 1st time. WTF? That can't be right. So I slopped on some more soapy water, hit the compressor, and 5 seconds later *POP*- the back tire seated. Setting them up and sealing the tires after that was a breeze.
I rode them for a few months before putting them away for the winter and never had a flat and they never came unsealed. I run 23psi front, 26 rear on my Giant Trance, and have not pinch flatted or had any other flats. I've checked the air pressure before every ride and only had to add minimal air over several months. But as every other person who's gone tubeless has mentioned, the real reason for doing so is for added traction all around. It's made my rides more enjoyable, and I've spent less time fixing flats.
I'm happy with Stan's, and would recommend it to those with a little patience and a desire to enjoy their rides more.

[Feb 14, 2013]
Billy Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

Great thought saving hundreds with a $60 kit

No way I'm relying on this kit on the trail

First let me tell you that I have built 2 mountain bikes & a road bike from a box. I followed the directions with no variations and installing this stuff is like juggling with open milk cartons. My front wheel was a real pain but I got it to hold after the 30 minutes (which the directions say is the max time it should take). The back wheel sealed right away and I thought I was done & happy considering what a pain in the rear the whole process was. OH, AND THERE IS NO WAY YOU ARE GETTING TIRES TO INFLATE WITHOUT A COMPRESSOR. Drop that idea right now. Fortunately, I have a compressor and a presta attachment with a pressure gauge on it. The front tire held air for about 2 days NOT RIDING then was completely flat and the rear went down to 8 pounds. Once it is flat you have to start all over because the seal is gone and the sealant pours out. There is no way these tires would have held air on the trails I ride. I put my tubes back in and rode 40 psi front, 45 psi back and still got a pinch flat in the rear. Do your self a favor and go UST rims and tires if you want to go tubeless is my opinion.

[Nov 11, 2011]
nonong18

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy enough to install. The soap and water test was good practice. The front tire was harder to pump air into. The rear just popped right in.

Good documentation and reference videos. I didn't struggle with anything unexpected. I skipped enlarging the air valve hole and it works as mentioned. One thing that needs emphasis is to depress the top of the tire where the valve is located as you pump the tire.

The applicator should come free with the kit.

No instructions on how to check and refill the sealant after regular use.

Easy to set up with good documentation. (Will yet have to ride the bike. But I know the tire holds air because it has been sitting overnight and has not lost air.)

Definitely cheaper than tubeless wheel set and tires.

Buy it if you think the benefits of tubeless are for you.

[Aug 05, 2011]
dixonmeister

OVERALL
Strength:

Don't know, doesn't seal

It doesn't work

I can't get these to seal. I've tried them with Bontrager UST's and non-UST Mavic's. Nothing works. It just blows sealant out at the valve stem. I tried email Stan's but after initially replying (quoting the wrong wheelset) they don't answer any more.

Crap company, crap product.

n/a

[Jul 21, 2011]
West

OVERALL
Strength:

No tubes! Made my bike about 4 pounds lighter and I don't have to carry an extra tube in my pack!

Challenging to install, but straightforward and doable.

Can put a maximum of only 40 psi in the tires.

This product has gotten me excited about mountainbiking again! I have been using the thick "thorn" tubes filled with slime, which weigh almost 2 pounds each, plus one in my pack just in case. With Stan's, my bike and pack feel SO much lighter, and without the rolling momentum in the tires I can turn very sharply. Before I could bunny-hop the bike only a few inches, but with all the weight out of the tires and my pack, I can easily hop it a couple of feet in the air!

Installation is challenging, in that there are a lot of steps to it and it has to be done correctly, but it is doable and takes about a half hour per tire. It helped a lot to watch the videos on Stan's website.

Overall I am very pleased with this product!

[Mar 19, 2010]
fj40owner

OVERALL
Strength:

Works as advertised- plain and simple. No flats since installing. (a freakin' miracle!!) Less rotational weight

a pain to install but well worth it! Less rigid sidewalls take a little getting used to.

Rather than purchasing the $60 kit, I just bought the $20 bottle of Stan's sealant and a 20 inch tube. (on the advise of Decker's Bike Shop) I kept the origional rim tape on my wheels. I stretched a 20 inch tube on my 26 inch rim and a 26 inch tube on my 29 inch rim. I split the tubes open and butterflied them around my rims. From there I installed the tires and test-inflated them. (use soapy water or you'll have a heck of a time with this) I filled my wheels with the sealant and reinflated to 40psi. I shook them to distribute the sealant and rested the wheels on their sides- flipping like pancakes every 5 min. for about 30 min. Next, I took a razor blade and trimmed the excess innertube from the wheel, down to the bead. I put the wheels on my bike and gave them a test-ride for a few min. to ensure they'd take weight. Worked like a charm and saved $40 by using tubes! I have not had ANY flats since installing- not even the evil goathead can stop me now! Thanks Deckers! - 5 Flamin' Chilis!!

slime tubes, thorn-resistant tubes, spinskins

[Mar 20, 2007]
Will Wells

OVERALL
Strength:

Dramatically reduces rotating weight

No punctures or pinch flats, ever!

More traction and cornering grip.

Faster acceleration and better braking

Bit of a bugger to fit

Quite expensive seeing as a refill bottle of solution costs £10 making the rest of the kit £40 (which is no more complexed or expensive to manufacture than a couple of inner tubes and a small roll of sellotape!)

Super lightweight wheels equals equally sketchy handling... Be warned!

Does exactly what it says on the tin, only ever had one puncture that didn't seal instantly, however I was riding through a stream at the time.

As mentioned above these chop a surprising amount of weight out of your wheels, and totally change the attitude of the bike. Changing direction is super fast as is braking and acceleration but you are more likely to get banged off course as the wheels dont hold as much momentum.

Inner tubes!

[Oct 17, 2006]
Teamslug

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight,puncture protection,better traction

can be fiddly to install

Used the kit on some X717 rims with panaracer cinder 2.1 tyres.Says on No tubes website that panaracer tyres are not suitable due to weaker bead but i installed these tyres first go..they sealed first time and i have only topped up air once in three months.Ran at about 40psi to start with to make sure they wouldn't blow off the rim but am now running about 30psi..which gives me loads of traction..installation was pretty straight forward..i think the trick is to make sure the inner bit of the rim is built up to right height so rim strip can seal onto tyre..watch the video's on no tubes website as these are invaluable..i used a crappy track pump to install and after i had sussed out that a bit of downward pressure on the tyre near the valve helped they blew up nicely.Proof is in the pudding and so far i've had no punctures - loads of thorns this time of year - and the bike feels like it accelerates faster due to the loss of rotating weight.
PS.Also fitted it to some cinder 2.25's for a mate onto same rims and used freeride strips on Sun SOS rims with Kenda Nevegal tyres...all sealed and are holding air nicely

tubes!!!

[Jul 23, 2005]
Lothar Othp

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride lower pressures for better handling without fear of pinch flats. Makes tires virtually flat proof without the weight penalty of a UST system.

Setup can be a pain (not all tire/rim combos may work). An air compressor makes installation much easier.

Installation instructions are clear. The video on the website is also very helpful. I'd like to see other MTB companies be as informative about their products.

The install. I have Bontrager valiant rims front & rear. I drilled out the valve stem holes and installed the rim strip. The rim strip installed pretty good, although it sits a little high around the valve stem area.

First tried to air up (without sealant) a set of Panaracer Trailblasters I had lying around. Didn't work. Next, I tried a Kenda Kharisma Light rear. This tire held air with a handpump & without sealant. Perfect. I added the sealant according to the directions. Lots of minor leaks which seemed to seal. This tire held air reasonably well, though I'd have to add air about once a week. After about 3-4 months of use and after not riding the bike for a week I found the tire completely flat and sealant dried out. No problem. Just removed the tire, cleaned out all the old dried-up latex boogers and resealed it with Stans.

Second tire. Conti Explorer Pro Protection for the front. This thing would not air up with a hand pump nor with my tiny toy air compressor. Frustrated, I reached for the C02 (despite being told not to in the directions). With a quick blast the beads seated and it held air. There was little sealant leakage. (Not as much as on the Kenda). The remarkable thing about this tire is, as hard as it was to air up, this thing has never lost any air. Un-friggin-believable!

I've been running 35-40 psi and have been extremely happy with the handling. In fact this may be the best tire combo I've ever ridden. No problems thus far.

I highly recommend the Stan's setup. But be aware that not all tire/rims combos may work and I'd recommend using a high pressure air compressor. An upgrade that is well worth the money.

tubes, Performance lunar light tubes