Maxxis High Roller UST Tubeless Tire

Best Price At

The UST High Roller's ramped leading edges roll fast, while the side lugs offer stability at speed and a sharp edge to hold corners.

[May 24, 2015]
BMarshall

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent grip, good rolling speed.

Tire bead had slipped, so they no longer roll straight. One side of the tire tread has slid forward of the other. Looking down the exact middle, the right tread had slipped 1/4 inch or more forward of the left tread. Off the rim and in my hands, I can position the tread where I want, by sliding the tread along the sidewall bead. On the rim... the handling has turned to junk.

Came stock on SCB Nomad 27.5. Great bike... not the best tire. They haven't lasted or worn well, and nothing like what I'd expect from Maxixis

Maxxis Minion DHF
Maxxis Ardent

[Apr 19, 2014]
Kevan

OVERALL
Strength:

-grip when cornering on damp dirt
-all around good tire
-mount easily

-2 out of 4 of these tires that i have had have delaminated and bubbled in the tread surface making them unusable
-the other 2 developed non-patchable holes around the bead when used on Mavic Crossmax SX wheels
-heavyish, but would be worth it if they worked well

These tires are very grippy and confidence inspiring for use in damp and loamy conditions, good in other conditions but unreliable. A UST tire should be a mount it and forget item, not need to be fussed with for the life of the tire, no flats, no holes, no anuerysms. I can't recommend them, only gave 3 chilis because they are awesome to ride....when they don't fail.

Nevegal UST, WTB Mutano TCS, Minion

[Jul 19, 2012]
Luv2mtbike

OVERALL
Strength:

When new, they roll with little resistance. Hold air very well without sealant if you want.

The wear on these is terrible. 6 rides in loose gravel and the knobs were rounded. traction became non-existant. With what I paid it turned about to cost be about $8 per ride.

I just can't see the value in these tires. Way too many choices out there to have them wear so fast. I have had good luck with Maxxis but this is my second High Roller and got the same results. It will be my last purchase of these.

[Jan 26, 2012]
norcorider95
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Its a highroller, it's sitff, its medium weight, good tread, can be ridden in all weather, does everything a highroller should do.

Expensive

stop complaining about the tyre, man up, its decent, it rolls well, theyre thicker than running tyre and tube, theyre also lighter unless you do xc and cry because everything on your bike isnt carbon or ti.

personally id recommend it, i like maxxis for Dh tyres, but make sure you get the UST and not the LUST its pretty much the difference between single and dual ply, but stop reading reviews and worrying about tyres, just buy it and get on with your life, it makes no major change to say michelin UST but it sure rolls faster...

High roller dual ply 60 a and a maxxis minion

[Mar 06, 2011]
eastie

OVERALL
Strength:

easy to mount

heavy and narrow

After riding highroller 2.1 exception series which are light, fast and ok on stans I tried the wider UST version. I was wanting something wider and thought these would be up there in terms of speed of the 2.1's - wrong! They aren't 2.35, they are heavy (above stated) and a they are slower than the excpetion series +stans. I didn't notice any increase in tracktion over the 2.1's either. If you want wider/increased grip at a reasonable weight and rolling resistance sacrifice my legs and trip computer say look elsewhere.

[Aug 10, 2010]
tjakino

OVERALL
Strength:

Great tire, works well in all riding conditions, seems durable although I have not been riding as much as I would like, 2 year old and all.

Recently the layers de-laminated and a large aneurism was created (2 inches tall and 3 inches long) on the tread surface. Too bad cause there is still a lot of good tread.

Great tire that I would probably buy again. I am guessing I just had a little bad luck.

[Jul 14, 2010]
CarlosG

OVERALL
Strength:

Hard to find a tire like the High Roller that works well in all the different trail surfaces we ride on here in Florida. On a 10 mile loop you run into hard pack, loose gravel, sand, roots, slick bridges so on and so on.......

Warranty not limits not on packaging. Rode them for two weeks and the tread sepperated bubbled up on the right side of the tire of 1/3rd of the tire tread.

I’ve been using the Maxis Crossmark and Monorail Tires with Stans tire sealent for over 2 years with no problems.
I bought this tire because the shop was out of the Crossmark I wanted so I figured I'd grab another Maxis product.
I took the deffective tire to the shop and they said Maxis wouldn't cover the Warranty because I used tire sealent. (Who doesn't use sealant???)
Sure it says that on the warranty on the web site, but it sure would be nice if they put that information on the product card the tire is attached to on the shelf.

Maxis Monorail, Maxis Crossmark,WTB Exiwolf, WTB Wolverine.

[May 02, 2010]
lange photography

OVERALL
Strength:

cornering beast. bites hard and consistent.

rolling resistance and weight.

high rollers are touted as XC/all mountain tire. for the first couple of rides i dug the biting intensity of the tires, but soon found that rolling resistance and weight offset the power of the cornering. even when pedaling, the tire would become very very heavy feeling and slow. the UST sets up easily enough, but the LUST sidewalls make for one HEFTY tire. perhaps this would make for a good DH tire? with its almost square profile, the tire seems to lose some apparent volume. it looks pretty skinny considering it is a 2.35. i got so bummed by the added weight and rolling resistance that i ended up chucking the fairly new pair for a set of 2.4 specialized purgatories, which have similar cornering characteristics to the high rollers without the exhausting rolling resistance.

specialized purgatory 2.4, WTB weirwolf

[Apr 13, 2010]
kwilas

OVERALL
Strength:

Speed / Rolling resistance, weight (for those that actually care), durability.

Grip when cornering in almost any condition. Occasional slips when climbing over root sections.

I've only ridden this tire for 1 month. This is a great tire for pure XC riders. Very light and fast. However, if you plan on descending and cornering at high speeds then this tire is not for you. I loved the high roller when I was on the flat, hardpack trails but had no trust in it when descending.

Overall it gets 3 chilis because it was the wrong tire for my type of riding. If you're a cross country racer then this might be perfect for you.

Schwalbe, Panaracer

[Jul 04, 2009]
CDA MTBer

OVERALL
Strength:

excellent grip, shed mud, wear has been good

Narrow tire for being rated at 2.3 compared to my specialized adrenalized 2.0 which is wider with more volume

these tires do it all well. they run narrow and have a lower volume than specialized tires so keep that in mind when purchasing. Due to the stiff side wall the lower volume has been a none issue other than looks. They grip the best for most condition compared to all of the other tires I have tried. The Speicalized Captian is one of the biggest let downs for a tire, plus one Specialized tire will cost you around $65-80. I replaced the Specialized Captains with these tires and haven't looked back since.

all major brands