Hutchinson Python XC Tubeless Tire

Hutchinson Python New Gen Tubeless Ready Tire. The TUBELESS READY technology also benefits advantages from the TUBELESS, but further in the way of light weight, with an average of 160 grams less than a Tubeless. However, it is compulsory to inflate the

[Aug 05, 2013]
Michael Braun

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light, good grip on consolidated trails, dry and wet.

Much narrower than claimed 54mm (2.1), Obviously not great for mud.

This tire is for XC and endurance riders.

I bought these tires a while back, installed them tubeless with sealant on Easton EA90 29er rims. I was so disappointed with how skinny they looked for a claimed 2.1 width, that I immediately took them off and replaced them with other XC tires. I have been riding Racing Ralph Snakeskins 2.25, Maxxis Ikons and other very good, tubeless-ready XC tires, including several Protection Continental varieties.

After wearing out all my stock of tires, I decided to give these a try again on my hardtail 29er. I still think Hutchinson should not mark them as 2.1, although they do ride as such. Let me explain: The casing isn't round, it's oval. The tire is taller than wide and that gives you a pretty cushy ride, astonishingly good grip and very low rolling resistance. These tires also track extremely well. I also found them totally predictable: Absolutely no oversteering and minimal understeer at very high speeds.

I can't speak to wear since I've ridden them less than 1,000 miles. I ride mostly singletrack in Alaska. They're definitely racing tires, but robust enough to hold up with my 200 pounds hammering up and down rocky and rooty stuff.

MAXXIS Ikon LUST, MAXXIS Ikon EXO, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 Snakeskin TR, Continental Mountain King Protection and Race King.

[Mar 27, 2012]
spencerfrater1

OVERALL
Strength:

Sealed well once on the rim

Too tight. Difficult to get on rim. Punctures and rips easily with sharp rocks - very thin casing despite being tubeless ready. Not tough enough even for our light trails. Would recommend only to use on smooth dirt with no stones. Not even small ones.

This tyre is a pain in the a$$ to get on a rim. It is VERY tight. Then, after all that hard work to mount the sucker, one sharp rock and it's over - this happened on my first ride on it. Desperately disappointed.

Schwalde Nobby Nic tubeless; Conti Mountain King UST; Conti Explorer UST; Kenda Nevegals; Hutchinson Toro XC tubeless ready