Bontrager Jones XR Tubeless Tire

• New high volume, lightweight, front and rear specific tire
  • Tubeless Ready technology optimizes the tire for use with sealant, which saves nearly 100 grams per wheel (over tubeless) and provides race proven performance
  • Gum-Bi dual compound (68a-62a) gives exceptional grip and durability

• USER REVIEWS

[May 17, 2012]
    Alex Abbas

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice tread, good balance of weight and features

Not available in medium width

I've ridden this tire in 2.2" and 1.8" and I like them both a lot. Good enough grip for most riding, pretty good durability, easy to mount, etc. The 2.2 is fairly high volume, the 1.8 is pretty small, and they're both great fun in the right setting. A 2.0" Bonty XR would be a fantastic tire but it doesn't exist.

Ignitor, Captain, Nevegal, Eskar, Renegade

[May 08, 2012]
    salsamoto

OVERALL
    Strength:

fast tire ! light great on dry hardpack

sucks in the mud and rocks and not a tire for the wet.

okay tire overall but use for the road vs off road.

[Jun 09, 2011]
    graham54

OVERALL
    Strength:

Quick rollin tyre

Absolutely no grip & rear tyre wore down in 500 miles

I read a review on these tyres about someone who almost washed out on a roundabout when in the dry. The same almost happened to me with the rear sliding out. Also came off when the front wheel slid away and still wondering how (no I wasn't being daft, honestly)? The upshot is that this tyre gives me very little confidence so I've took my Continental Verticals off my Cube and put them on my Trek.
    Durability wise, my rear tyre has worn down and I've only done 500 miles in them in about two and a half months. It may explain the rear sliding out but I never expected a tyre to only last less than 12 weeks. Will stick to my Conti Verticals.

Continental Verticals

[Apr 10, 2011]
    Ken365

OVERALL
    Strength:

Corners like a dream in loose gravel corners. Climbs rocky ascents with confidence. Great traction in flowing single tracks. Does really well in mud.

Rolling resistance not great. Can feel sluggish at first.

Can't seem to relate to other reviews I've read. I've just completed the Cape Epic 2011, which was very rocky, lots of loose sand, large thorns, great free flowing single track. these tyres handled everything I threw at them. Tyre pressures were 30psi back, 26psi front, running tubeless on American Classic 29' rims.

Bontragger XDX 29', Michelin wild race'r 29'

[Aug 01, 2010]
    ucancallmejoe

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy to set up for tubeless

Horrible horrible traction

No traction - that is all. Even when I do not skid out you know something is really wrong. The feel of the bike is like ice on ice.

Back to the Nevegals. Some Bontragers work surprisingly well but not these things.

Nevegal, Jones XCR

[Aug 01, 2010]
    Mike P

OVERALL
    Strength:

fast on the flats, low rolling resistance

poor traction and washes out on any hard turns

these almost like having racing slicks, traction is poor on anything other than hardpack an cornering is always an adventure. It's a disgrace the Trek would put these on a high end bike. I road these tires less than 15 hours before removing them from my bike

WTB Velociraptor

[May 12, 2010]
    Zach

OVERALL
    Strength:

Came with bike
    Low rolling resistance
    good for flat, hardpacked terrain

if you ride on anything other than flat hardpacked terrain these tires will wash out. I have a huge problem with the tires washing out on me. These are racing tires so sacrificing grip for speed it to be expected, but these give up way too much grip and you will lose control the second you hit loose conditions (and in some cases when you have to make a sharp turn)

I wouldn't recommend these tires unless you are a serious racer that doesn't need grip and knows how to keep the bike from washing out. I'm replacing mine with some specialized Fast Trak Controls. Another XC racing tire, but I've ridden slicks with more grip than the Jones XR

pretty average price, good for a racer, just not for normal people.

Various Bontrager and Specialized mountain tires, tubeless and otherwise

[Apr 12, 2010]
    lifebybike

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light

Lacks traction and prone to flats

Racing only tire, maybe. My second ride on my brother's bike I was borrowing and I got a pinch flat off nothing fancy. Traction worse than cheap semi-slick cross tires. And Bontrager has the gall to post only one review of these tires on their site from Bicycling.com that says
    "It stops leaks, and pinch flats will be a thing of the past. I almost never flat with these systems, and I can run a lower pressure for superior traction."
    Bottom line: Load of refuse, but my bro's happy because I'm buying him a new and better tire.

[Feb 20, 2010]
    Deepsand

OVERALL
    Strength:

Rolls Fast, Fairly light weight

Horrible traction on dirt turns

Can't believe Trek would put these tires on a $7000 bike. I have now had my new bike slide out around a turn twice in two weeks of owning. I have ridden my Trek Remedy for years on the same track with multiple brands of tires never sliding out once. My front tire feels like I'm on ice at higher speeds on dirt turns. Could be ok for very conservative riders that only like to go straight. This is my first review, because of all the thorns I had to pull out of my arm yesterday. Buying new tires this week.

Other Bontrager tires (Big Earl), Kenda

[Jul 21, 2009]
    bgriff01

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light-weight, good rolling speed

VERY THIN sidewalls, poor traction with higher pressure

I got these tires on the Trek Fuel Ex 8 I bought a couple months ago. I'd been hearing a lot of great things about tubeless and how it nicely complimented the full suspension, so I figured I'd try it out.

The bike came with the Bontrager Jones XR tires, which I would describe as more of a race tire. They're light-weight and they roll fast. The problem with them is that they're Tubeless Ready" (TLR), which I've surmised is basically a comprimise between regular tires and UST tires. These "Tubeless Ready" tires are capable of being installed with sealent as UST tires, but they're also light enough to be used with tubes without a huge weight penalty. Basically what you get is a tire that's too slippery to use with tubes because you can't run a low enough pressure to get good traction without getting pinch flats, and a tire with incredibly thin and easily torn side walls when in the tubeless set up.

It's been 2 months now and I've torn both the front and rear tires, rendering them useless as UST tires. After my back tire went, I hoped it was bad luck, replaced it with a much beafier standard UST tire, and kept using the Jones XR on the front wheel. About 3 weeks later the front tires tore open while I was going over some rocks, and that was it. I have the proper set up, problem is the sidewalls are so thin they tear while going over even minor rocky patches and the tears are too big for the sealant to handle.

The bottom line is that these tires are a lousy compromise, an attempt to give the buyer two options; tubless or tubes. They fail at this and ultimately leave the buyer with a tire that doesn't really work in either set up. The side walls are just too thin, and they don't offer enough traction with tubes at higher pressures (around 40 psi and above). I'd recommend only buying standard UST tires (NOT TUBELESS READY or TLR, be careful) if you're thinking of going tubeless, and a tire like the Kenda Nevegals or the Panaracer Fire XC Pros if you're happy with tubes.

As for me, I'm having luck with the Bontrager ACX UST, tire on the back wheel. The sidewalls are much thicker and sturdier, and the tires have ridden over numerous rock outcrops without complaint. The tread design is very substantial and I'm sure I lose some rolling speed due to that fact, but I can't argue with the traction I get on long climbs of decomposed granite. Next I'm thinking of trying the Kenda Nevegal UST for the front tire, hoping to get a faster rolling tire that still has good cornering traction.

Bontrager ACX UST

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.