Bontrager FR3 Tubeless Tire

Bontrager's FR3 is a big, beefy tire for aggressive riders and rough trails. Its center ridge rolls fast, then as you lean into a corner, you get a smooth transition then pronounced side knobs bite into terra firma as you rail around the berm. The FR3 is a tough tire too, with a wire bead and enhanced sidewall protection, so don't worry as you blast into that rock garden.

[Sep 23, 2012]
MojaveMTB'er

OVERALL
Strength:

Center ridge allows this tire to roll very nicely on asphalt, while the beefy side knobs grip very well in loose soil and gravelly conditions. Sidewalls seem tougher than average. Nice tire height and width, I would call them a true 2.35.

Well they are heavy......cant very well have tough and beefy tire with big volume and still have low weight now can they?

I had been looking for an ideal tire for the front on my modest Trek hardtail 26". I live in Boulder City Nevada (near Las Vegas) and the trails and fire/powerline access roads are very rocky with various sections of gravel and some sand. Its hard to find a tire that provides good traction on this rugged terrain but still rolls well enough on the streets I ride getting to the off road.. This tire does both.
I would not use it for a rear tire because of its weight (acceleration) but really like it as a front.
I have looked at the reviews for the 29" version of this tire. People from AZ and New Mexico have given good reviews. Great desert tires. Even though these are touted as freeride tires, they work well as a beefier cross country tire for me. I dont race so the weight is not as much as an issue.

[May 13, 2012]
lock-n-load
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great sidewalls, very fast rolling and grips in the corners, very predictable. If you combined a Kenda Nevegal, WTB Weirwolf, and WTB Mutano, this is what you would get.

Braking traction suffers when you run too much psi, the side knobs have slid on me a couple of times when I get really low on pavement, a bit heavy

I love running this tire in rocky/dusty conditions, especially when I have a long pavement ride home. It rolls faster than my Mutano's and corners much like the Nevegal, which I'm quite a fan of. I would recommend it for someone who needs a tire that can hold a line through a rock garden, holds fast to looser dirt, digs in on dust over hardpack corners, and still needs to ride a couple miles home.

Nevegals, DHF's, Butcher's, etc

[May 13, 2012]
RT
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough, very fast, grip in loose conditions

Heavy, not so grippy on rocks and in the wet, average braking performance

Fast and tough tire.

specialized eskar, maxxis minion,
ibex onza,

[May 13, 2011]
AZ.MTNS

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls decent, grippy.

Weight.

Nice grippy front tire, good for loose over hardpack. Decent rear tire too.

Name em.

[May 07, 2011]
schenker

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough tire, holds air well w/ ghetto tubeless, great ride, lighter than UST

Nothing apparent so far

I like the Bonty Tubeless Ready tires. I have ghetto tubeless on standard DT Swiss wheels and the Bonty tubeless priesta valves. They hold air no problem, no burping, no bleeding or any of that drama. I run them about 30 lbs and they are happy. I have the experts (the Team tires are 2 compound) and they are plenty grippy. I will totally buy Bontragers again when these wear out. I hope they have some more choices by then.

Tioga Factory DH 2.1
WTB Velociraptor

[Mar 22, 2011]
GrimmChino

OVERALL
Strength:

Great on streets, medium trails, Quiet and smooth.

nothing really.

very reliable tire, great handling, very smooth on loose and hard pack dirt, and great on streets, not deep mud worthy, and no medium depth sand. i use them on the rear and they are wonderful, they emit little to no sound and they have very low rolling resistance which makes my commute to work a lot nicer and the tire will perform if is put into the dirt. I see this is a tubeless tire, but i run a tube in mine, have to try it tubeless someday.

Bontrager Jones XR (OE)

[Oct 07, 2010]
lunchbox1972

OVERALL
Strength:

Great grip and rolls fast

None, yet.

Very nice traction, handles rocks well and gives confidence in the downhill. Looking for one to try on the rear!

Price is right too.

IRC Mythos, Cont Vert

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.