Slime Tube Protector Tube

• Remove wheel from bicycle and deflate tube
  • Remove tire from rim using tire lever
  • Remove inner tube
  • Reinsert inner tube and slightly inflate
  • Reinflate tire to recommended air pressure

[Sep 02, 2014]
Larry Zwart

OVERALL
Strength:

None whatsoever.

Cause flats instead of protecting against them.

I've been a cyclist for more than three decades and have ridden with and without tire liners. These are without a doubt the worst liners I've ever had the misfortune of trying.

I installed them as directed and made sure they were centered in my tires. On my first ride out I suffered a flat caused by the liner slicing into the tube. I replaced the tube and on my third ride with the new tube the exact same thing happened. Both tubes were unrepairable afterwards due to the length of the cuts. Twice, I submitted complaints on the Slime website, detailing my experiences and giving my contact information. I received no reply either time, although I was using their on-line form for this type of correspondence which states on it that they will contact you shortly.

As I said, I've ridden with tire liners before and never had this problem. Mr. Tuffy brand is one that I've had good experiences with and I know there are others. I recommend checking out reviews on-line before buying. On one such site the Slime protectors were rated two stars while all others were rated four stars, apparently with good reason.

[May 10, 2013]
Guy from Granada

Strength:

The sharp edges causes a puncture due to friction. It doesn't prevent flat tires, it's the cause!

After 4 hours of use, it caused a puncture in the tube, the sharp end of the "protecting" band made a small hole due to friction.

There is no way on earth that this product will protect your tube by any means. But I must admit that as a joke is a very effective and rather expensive one.

Do not buy this product.

[Sep 02, 2012]
Janet

Strength:

Causes punctures after a surprisingly short time

Don't even consider putting them in- they cause punctures

[Jul 23, 2012]
Mark A

OVERALL
Strength:

Might prevent some thorns from puncturing the tube. See review below

Does not stop all puncture damage.

I have been using Slime Tube Protectors for at least eight years. I use them in combination with Slim Lite tubes and Maxxis Cross Mark Tires. These tires have a thin carcass and low profile tread. I am not convinced that Tube Protectors protect against puncture flats such as long thorns or small pointed rocks. I have had both of these go right through the Tube Protector on several occasions. I have never had a sliced tire so don’t know how well they protect against that type of damage. I also don’t run into many goat’s heads. I use this setup for Adventure Racing, so riding surfaces vary. They do not stop all puncture damage. And when they don’t, the Slim Tubes keep me rolling when the liners let me down. Do they stop some punctures? Maybe. I un-mount my tires/tubes two to three times a year just to check for and remove thorns. I have never found a thorn that penetrated the tire that didn’t also penetrate the tube protector. So if they are working it must be on thorns that don’t penetrate the tube protector and then later fell out. So why am I still using them? When I don’t use the protectors I could have 2-3 thorns in the tire/tube when I check them. With the protectors I might have one thorn. I have never had a tube cut by the edge of the tube protector as others have reported.

[Apr 22, 2012]
JC

OVERALL
Strength:

They do stop most things that can go thru the tire, the material is hard to cut but it is good to smooth off the ends so they don't cut into the tube, I have even used a file to smooth the ends, seems like work but can be worth it if you get a lot of Goat's heads or other sharp points thru your tires.

Takes a little work to make them work right.

They do work for many people, maybe have a bike shop put them in for you if it seems too much work.

[Jan 14, 2012]
paulb27

Strength:

wished i had seen the reviews before i brought them ,and saved the money,i have the same problems as the others.the protectors cut through the sides of the inner tubes with the sharp edges

total waste of money ,design fault with it .

[Aug 08, 2011]
floodo1

OVERALL
Strength:

Protects you from thorns and such

It cuts your tubes

Kept getting flats until I realized that the long edges of the protector have sharp edges which put grooves all along the length of your tube....and these cuts/grooves eventually split open and go flat!!!

SERIOUSLY, protects you from thorns, but then cuts your tube itself....."Here to keep you from getting flats, but also gives you flats!"

Fail

[Feb 23, 2011]
crankyemilio

OVERALL
Strength:

Price

Hard on tubes

It doesn't matter how you set it, the material is to hard and "bites" into the tube. Every time I had a flat, this was the reason.

[Nov 30, 2010]
Muttley Macclad

OVERALL
Strength:

None. It took money out of my wallet

It CAUSED my flat, rather than prevent it. How's that for a weakness? I think that's weakness squared.

This tube protector is HARMFUL. After being stranded (18 miles after TWO FLAT TIRES) a-freakin'-gain, I took the tire off and there was a hole in the tube . no, there was no hole in the tire - and I didn't hit a pothole curb or anything else. On the advice of a bike repairwoman, I looked carefully at the surface of the tube. Sure enough, the light imprint of where the tube strip overlaps itself (not supposed to cut the strip down to length), there was a pinhole - so I'm 100% sure that's what caused it. I had the inflation properly set, etc. etc. NO abuse, no offroading, just flat level terrain.

Stay away from this crap.

[Jun 30, 2010]
bitterootmtbkr

OVERALL
Strength:

protection from some things

I still get punctures from goat heads

I wish they were just a little more puncture resistant and not any heavier. Possibly Kevlar molded inside the plastic.

heavy tubes

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.