Delta Latex Tubes Tube

Delta Latex Tubes

[Jun 10, 2006]
Pete Vavaroutsos

OVERALL
Strength:

None.

After 3 weeks these tubes wouldn't even hold air long enough for one ride.

I thought I would give these latex tubes a try. Yes, they are expensive, but I thought if they resist flats better, are lighter, and have less rolling resistance, maybe they are worth it. What a mistake. After 3 weeks of riding the rear tube wouldn't hold air. I thought maybe it was just a bad tube. One week later, the same thing with the front tube. It is also difficult to locate a flat on these tubes as it's hard to put much pressure in them if they are not inside the tire. A few pounds of pressure and a section will pop and expand like a balloon. Save your money and buy some good butyl tubes. Not even worthy on one chili.

Many.

[Apr 05, 1996]
Francis
Norba racer

OVERALL

To get my bike to 21 lbs., I had to explore avenue, and latex tubes can save almost a half pound from the bike so I had to check it out. Aside from the weight, these tubes seem to be more supple, thus giving a more comfortable ride at the same tire pressure. One big downside is that these tubes always leak air (about a pound a day). So anyone considering this should own a floor pump. These tubes also need be sprinkled with the supplied talc to keep them dry, otherwise they could rot. They're patchable too with normal patches or with one of them sticker patches. Out of 4 tubes that I owned, one of them just blew up with a 1 cm. hole!

[Jan 17, 2000]
Flying Pig

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight
Easy to patch with normal patches

Don't hold air real long
Hard to find small leaks to patch
Price

These tubes used to separate at the seams. I complained to Delta, and they sent me new tubes. Now they are seamless. The biggest problem is now solved. They are very light and easy to patch (anyone who can't patch these can't patch anything). I check the air in my tires before every ride, so I don't mind if a little bleeds off over several days. They are way better (and lighter) than Air-Bs which have a problem of spontaneous explosion. It may be true that they won't last 3 years, but who keeps a tube that long anyway?

Torelli, butyls, Air-B

[Jun 15, 1998]
Tim

OVERALL

Total waste of money! I've had brand new tubes split at the value/tube interface. And yes, yes, as a other reviewer noticed, they ROT. I took a year old tube out to patch and the tube literally fell apart in my hands. And you need to add air every couple of days. I've switched to Torelli tubes. Just as light with no problems. 0 chilis.

[Nov 13, 1997]
pika

OVERALL

I've been using these for at least 3 years now and find them to provide a ride springiness that butyls don't equal.Contrary to what someone told me, I've patched them with regular patches. These have held up as well as on regular tubes.One thing I have noticed is that the valves may not be as sturdy. Two valves failed, one in which the core broke and another in which it seemed to stick, thus letting out air.Consider me sold on latex tubes. They actually make a difference in the ride, unlike exotic bolts and such.

[Nov 17, 1997]
Greg Turner

OVERALL

Latex inner tubes have cost me dear. I used these and another brand from a very well known name in the industry and both sets have continuously flatted on me, usually during very high speed decents! They have this nasty habbit of pinch flatting even when you don't compress the tyre. One minute your screaming down hill at 50mph, the next, the air in your tyres decides to peroform and emergency evacuation. I have even blown these tubes apart while riding on the road! The consequences of this for me was a nasty stack and ruined front wheel. If you're running ultra-expensive wheel sets like the Crossmax, for god sake do your self a favour and don't use latex!
I'm even worried about using condoms now!

[Aug 15, 1997]
M.R.

I Am Currently Using Air-B Laytex Tubes In My Road Bike And Have NO Complaints,
Execpt The Price. ($19.00!?!) They Are Not As Light As Greenlite Tubes But Oh Well,
I Still Give Them 5 Stars. (But 3 Stars For The Price)

[Feb 08, 1998]
pikabike

OVERALL

(Why are there two sections for reviews of the same product?)I've been using these tubes for 4 years now and find them to provide a ride springiness that butyls don't equal.Contrary to what someone told me, I've patched them with regular patches. These have held up as well as on regular tubes.One thing I have noticed is that the valves may not be as sturdy. Two valves failed, one in which the core broke and another in which it seemed to stick, thus letting out air.Consider me sold on latex tubes. They actually make a difference in the ride, unlike exotic bolts and such.

[Sep 27, 1997]
AgentOrangE

OVERALL

these are the most evil tubes made!! i got a set from my lbs.. installed them and by the next morning they were bolth COMPLETELY flat this wasn't just a loss of a little pressure, it was a total loss of pressure.. so, i checked them and bolth had bad seams.. i showed the guy at my lbs them and he said they were defects, so he would replace them, he only had one latex one left so he gave me that one and two regular tubes..a fair deal... well the next morning afer installing the latex one, it was flat..these tubes SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

[Nov 17, 1998]
BobC
weekend warrior

OVERALL

These tubes are really prone to blow. I got them thru Nashbar and now wonder they were on a blow out price. They leaked near the stem so I had to patch there. Then I had to patch at other locations because they just blew out. Nothing inside I could find and there was a lot of powder in it. I got desperate enough to put some powder inside the tubes to no avail.Beginning of this summer, I patch both front and rear tubes and took it for one ride. I checked the rim tape and one blowout was my fault I acknowledge but each as suffered 3/4 blowouts aready. Oh.. its winter now.. went mtn biking most of the summer. And the rear one has another leak again. Geez. Something about quality control is needed. And I still have one 'new' one in the bag. Geez.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.