WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT Tire

The design features a fast-rolling, soil piercing central tread that is ramped for low roll resistance and square-edged for powerful braking. Large transitional openings between knobs channel soil outward, enhancing traction as progressive staggered outside knobs provide maximum support in leans and corners.

[Jun 25, 2012]
Overdrive

OVERALL
Strength:

Low resistance, great for dry and almost dry surfaces. Tarmac, gravel, dirt, you choose. Great apsorbing power, and comfort.

Build quality... one tire is spining in a perfect line, the other desn't, it's just a bit, but I noticed it.

I use this tires in 60% tarmac and damaged tarmac, 40% gravel / dirt surfaces, and I can tell that I'm more than pleased. I didn't expect for such a large tire to have such a low rolling resistance. For example, WTB Velociraptor 2.1 is harder to drive.

[Feb 01, 2012]
4everriding

OVERALL
Strength:

Great rear tire.
Rolls fast for its size and hooks up well in the rocky, sandy, occasional hardpack, light to medium snow, and oh yes slickrock.
I felt the weight was never an issue because of the increased traction.
Never tore a sidewall in a full season of riding in Fruita, Grand Junction, and Moab.
No problems with tubeless setup.

No longer in production.
Got the new 2.5 and it is almost as good.

Great rear tire for an All Mountain/Enduro Racer set up. Not the lightest tire rolling but really good for its size. I would buy 2 or 3 more of the 2.55's if I could find them.

WTB, Conti, Maxxis, Bontrager

[Feb 22, 2011]
bigbeck

OVERALL
Strength:

Spins up really fast for a tire of this size

Poor cornering grip when used as front tire in loose terrain.

This tire works poor in the front for a 2.5. I have other 2.5 tires that put this to shame including a Continental,Specialized and Bontrager not to mention the WTB MutanoRaptor which is fairly narrow but grips better in turns.

However it does excel as rear tire. I normally don't run wide rear tires because the spin up is too slow. So far, this is my favorite 2.5 rear tire.

37 different tires

[Feb 22, 2011]
bmonzingo

OVERALL
Strength:

Sticks to just about anything, rolls smooth, creates confidence in the corners, absorbs the large rocks and roots, fast and agile.

Size--even though this could be a strength, on your cross country bike it might be a little too large in the rear. I can tell if my rear wheel gets out of whack I will be dealing with some rubbing, but don't be scared of the larger size.

Freakin' awesome tire! I just put these on my bike yesterday and rode 7 miles of the Greenbelt in Austin and got back to my apartment with a large smile on my face. I was running the Rocket Ron on front and rear and I didn't realize how bad they cornered until I put these bad boys on! Get you some of these!

Nevegal, S-Works stock tires, Larsen TT, Monorails, Schwable Rocket Ron

[Feb 21, 2011]
Rad Rider 415

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolling resistance is great and so is the traction and confidence in going into corners

NONE

Ran this tire up front when my bike was rigid. After all the rocks I ride, it never slipped or let me down.

WTB Exiwolf and Prowler

[May 30, 2010]
CHP71

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, just like everyone says

None that I have found yet

So far these have been great tires. since I have had them the weather has been wet and the trails slick and these tires have done great. I was a little concerned with the low tread with the slick trails but it has not been an issue. I can't wait for things to dry up here in the Pacific Northwest becasue these tires are going to be great!

Other WTB Tires

[Apr 30, 2010]
Okie81

OVERALL
Strength:

FAST! Rolling resistance was almost no-existant

Haven't been in any mud yet but judging from the tread design, it might pose an issue

Did I mention these things were fast? WOW! As a matter of fact, I did a century ride on them and would have been in trouble with any other tire.

velociraptor, high roller, adrenaline and captain

[Mar 31, 2010]
Space Moose

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolling speed! Off the line power. Rolling speed. Smooth ride. Did I mention rolling speed? Cushy, high volume.

Spits grit and rocks more than a deeper tread. No magical properties that make it great on flat/dry and technical/muddy, so you have to pick which you prefer.

I swapped out my Nevegals for these and the difference was like night and day. The volume on both is quite cushy, but these just ride so very much faster.

I most do pavement riding, but wanted the option to do some relatively easy XC as well. One thing I noticed right away was that these are way quicker in accelerating from a stop. When you're riding in the city, that's a real benefit!

Interesting note, these have slightly more volume than the Nevegal 2.2's, but including tread, these 2.55 LT tires are actually noticeably thinner than the 2.2's. I was a little worried that I'd have clearance for this tire, as the Nevegals were close to rubbing, but these are downright svelte for such a fat tire. Don't hesitate because of the 2.55 size.

Now, I'm looking to sell my Nevegal 29x2.2's (DTC foldable). They are great, cushy tire, but just aren't made for the city riding I do. I've put about 10km of pavement riding on them, and I'm looking to get rid of them for a song.

I love these after even a short use. They're just the trick for any urban warriors out there on their 29ers, who still want the option of going off-road (and don't want the Big Apples).

As for value, I found them on Amazon for $25 each. That's a steal!

Nevegal 29x2.2

[Mar 29, 2010]
johnhugo71

OVERALL
Strength:

grip, rolling resistance, grip, grip and grip.

none so far.

i don't normally gush over something but these tires are amazing, i'm a big clyde (270) and i'm running these around 30psi and they grip on everything i've rolled over better than any tire i've ridden. they float over sand, find traction on loose over hard, bite on leafy trails. i haven't had them in the mud yet but i can see them packing up pretty quick and sliding there but they are a low tread tire. if you are in dry conditions i don't think you can run a better tire. everyone brags up their nevegals but the 2.35 i was running is nowhere near as fast or grip as well as this tire. love it!

nevegal 2.35, panaracer fire xc pro 2.1, specialized fast track lp 2.0, wtb velociraptor 2.1, few others i can't remember

[Nov 21, 2009]
zebulon

OVERALL
Strength:

This is the best high-volume tire I have found. Volume is critical if you suffer thru east coast trails (rocks and roots) and don't have or are unwilling to carry full suspension. Not very heavy considering size. Low Tread (LT) more than adequate.

Fit. Gotta make sure it will fit thru your dropouts. 26x2.55 fits thru the rear of my GT avalanche, but only by MM. I get rubs on the frame if I get out of true. Amazing how fast dirt and rubber can cut aluminum. Also, tire pressure. Wide shoes like these should be run at lower pressure. I run about 25 lbs. YMMV

Tire volume is the best suspension. (That is why every off-road vehicle uses pneumatic tires) Hi-vol tires like these are the best for comfort, *and* speed. Too heavy for you weight weenies? Weigh full suspension some time. You gotta find the right tire pressure.

Other wide tires. Don't confuse lot's of width with konbs and such with tru volume. Only the volume smooths terrain. At then end of the day, you actually don't need much texture on your tire. (try riding with wide slicks... it's not that bad if it's dry)

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.