WTB Prowler MX 2.1 Tire

The Prowler MX (Motocross) featuresThe same aggressiveTread design asThe Prowler XT, but with a shifted centerTread.The Prowler MX is designed for speed and it is a highly predictableTire at speed, boasting deep-piercing lateral grip in loose conditions.The 2.5-inch version excels onTreacherous descents and high-speed chutes whileThe MX 2.1-inchThrives on epic, day-longTrail rides. Beads: Race: Aramid bead Team DH: Steel bead Weight: 26x 2.5 Race: 952 g 26x 2.5Team DH

[Sep 14, 2014]
xcmrx

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls fast and corners very well. Hard braking is a lil sketch if ita damp out. Pretty light and easy to mount

Probably not so great in wet or muddy conditions.

I have the 2.1 race version and its a perfect aggresvie xc tire for my conditions here in florida. Its a little sketch with wet conditions but it rolls fast and is very grippy in the turns. Handles roots fairly well and has solid contact with thw ground providing great feedback and predictable braking. Great all round xc tire.

[Jan 15, 2012]
augustiner
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Very Dry Conditions

Very slippery on leaves and red clay with any moisture

Not very pleased with this tire. I got the 2.3 MX Race version...they are 100g's heavier than advertised (Im not a weight weenie, but together for the pair thats almost half a pound heavier in the wheels), and they just flat out have no grip in most conditions. For the first 3 rides, I really liked them for local XC trails, when it was dry. But after a few rides, they just dont seem to corner at all, and wash out a lot. I had much better traction with a set of worn out High Rollers. Love to spin out over roots that I dont even notice on my other bike...

These seem to get great reviews, which is why I got them.... But I must say I'm pretty disappointed and going back to Maxxis... At least in the very Red Clay based soils we have in NC, these really don't work well for me...

Maxxis Minion, Ardent, High Roller, Advantage, Kenda Nevegal

[Nov 21, 2011]
IAmHolland

OVERALL
Strength:

light, fast, reasonable grip

narrow

It works well, but it is very small for a 2.1 It is more like a 2.0 or 1.95 on a 28mm external/23mm internal width rim, which is the most disappointing aspect.

WTB prowler XT, MX 2.3, Moto Raptor, Stout, CST Caballero, Critter

[Jun 05, 2011]
@ER_Shawn

OVERALL
Strength:

Grippy, Fast, Predictable

None yet

I was looking at going to a wider 2.2 or 2.35 tire, but the 2.1's that I went with are awesome. I only have a few rides on them but front end and descending confidence are way up, they roll as fast as any XC tire I've used and knock on wood I haven't had a flat on them! All around great tire, really happy with my choice.

Maxxis High Roller 2.1, Larsen TT 2.0, Specialized Fast Trak 2.0

[May 02, 2011]
JAYDMF

OVERALL
Strength:

everything (running the 2.3s but left comments here as the 2.5s are a different tread pattern)

Super sloppy winter bogs are not its friend, it'll cope but if its that bad your better off dusting the maxxis swampies off as theyre the only thing that'll hold

Great allrounder, i havent found anything that comes close to this really, verticals are probably the nearest thing but the prowler rolls a hell of a lot faster. i find the contis have a deadspot where they can just wash out if your not taking corners just right.

not so with these just hammer them into anything and they just grip. did 3 days in wales about a month ago, llandegla in the dry was just ripping, the beast at coed y brenin in the pouring rain ( i was a bit worried that they wouldnt hold out at first) and they stuck like [email protected]*T to a blanket. and talybont blue in soft mud with some road which they coped with really well.

Yes they do wear quickly compared to other tyres but with the performance i cant fault them for that, as people have said i would rather replace tyres and enjoy my rides than sketch out about washing out (potentially not being able to ride if i get messed up) than saving a few quid on rubber.

Im sure there are more specialist tyres for each of these conditions but i cant be bothered with swapping all the time.

Bottom line - try em, you'll love em

Conti Verticals, Vapours, Gravitys. Maxxis crossmax, high rollers, swamp things, holy rollers. Nokian Gazzas. Panaracer fire xc &FRs

[Feb 02, 2011]
Dismal

OVERALL
Strength:

2009 Prowler MX Race folding 2.1
Super FAST rolling yet aggressive XC tyre
Fit and forget all condition tyre
Quality 60a Durometer rubber

A lighter tyre could be better for racing
A fatter tyre would be better for comfort

I bought this from Chainreactioncycles.com for a mere £8.98 (67% discount). This is the 2009 Prowler MX Race folding 2.1. At this price i thought it worth a try. I am glad i did. I have been running them front and rear(reversed) through the winter with Continental Supersonic 100grm inner tubes.
It is similar in weight and size/volume to a Continental Mountain King 2.2 folding. It is smaller in volume than a Maxxis Advantage 2.1 but faster and stickier. The rubber is 60A.
This is the fastest rolling tyre I have EVER used. The grip is awesome, and under breaking it felt as if I had gone up a rotor size. I initially found cornering a bit vague but i soon found i needed to lean the bike under my body to a greater degree.... and suddenly cornering was transformed. No punctures yet at 35 to 40psi (me 70kg). No wipeouts, or wet root moments (so far;-). Cant comment on wear yet, but i don't care at this price.
My Orange EVO8 feels alive again, skipping, jumping, and sprinting.
This would be good for the aggressive XC'er and makes a great fit and forget do every thing XC tyre. It might feel a bit too fast for inexperienced riders.

Mountain King 2.2
Race King 2.2
Nevegal 2.1 stick-e
Advantage 2.1 folding

[Jan 23, 2011]
cxfahrer

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap, low rolling resistance, predictable in mud, sheds mud easily, true 2.1"

cheap rubber has a meaty feel and wears quite fast, slippery when wet (but still ok)

good tire for crosscountry cruising ;) and 10€ is really cheap

Nobby Nic, IRC Mythos, Z.Max...

[Nov 08, 2010]
iPhrankie

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast. Very low rolling resistance

I put these on the front and rear tire of my single speed. I was a little hesitant about putting a 2.1 tire on the front, but these have performed amazingly well. As stated by WTB, they are predictable. They inspire confidence on fast turns. I haven't had any problems with washouts. The speed of these tires is immediately noticeable. They have also performed well when climbing.

One last note: I don't expect any product labeled "Race" to last forever or be resistant to flats and tears. This is a thinner, lighter and faster tire which you would expect from a race tire.

Bottom line: I highly recommend these tires.

[Oct 11, 2010]
ARacer

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance

Excessive wear and poor cornering grip

The roll quickly in a straight line and I perceive very low rolling resistance but they wear faster than any tire I have ever ridden. I have about 10 rides on the rear and it is ready to be replaced... the knobs are almost gone and those that are left have chunks taken out of them. The front is still ok but I can't get the front tire to bite in corners. I have had this front tire wash out so many times I approach every corner with extra caution. I can't wait to get rid of these. My other Stumpjumper with Captain Controls is much better. The Captains wear a lot better and bit better in the corners. Even the S-Works FastTraks and Scott OXYD tires wore better than these things. I can't wait to replace these WTBs.

Specialized FastTrak, Captain Controls, Panaracer Fire XC, Bontrager, Scott OXYD

[Sep 07, 2010]
lew242

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, great profile, traction, speed, bite at extreme lean angles, hard-pack, tire compound grips great, even on road. Loose over hard-pack, tire is really good, even a life saver. Great for front tire use.

Very hard to mount needs to be over-inflated (60 PSI plus) and dropped back to sit true. Tube puncture risk when mounting with tire spanners, certainly for basic wire bead version.

A biting tire, not that great at climbing if on rear.

Why not double-knob version for faster speeds esp for rear?

Noisy on road, wear rate is medium fast.

Been using this tire for years and have been through over 10 tires, mostly due to lack of choice in my area. If you ride road to your trails and ride pure hard-pack, I would suggest a tire with a closer tread pattern.

If you ride XC and flats are a problem buy a tire that is less of a hassle to mount.

This tire will suit you really well if flats aren't much of a problem and you are looking for a front tire that can dig deep into loose over hardpack and damp soil on moderate to extreme lean angles.

Maxxis Larsen TT, High Rollers, DMR Moto RT and Digger. Plus many others.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.