WTB Mutano Raptor 2.24 Tire

• Multiple tread edges and big outside knobs with a square profile
  • Trail, Freeride, XC Trail and Slalom Tire
  • Race (690g) and Laser (795g)

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 25, 2011]
    Kinan

OVERALL
    Strength:

2.2 race.
    Predictable turn in when on the rear at speed, good rolling resistance when on the front. Good life span.

On the front not good for dg over hardpack on slow, steep (25%) descents lets go w/o warning and has sketchy turn in. When on the rear seems slow, heavy and squirms a lot on sharp slower turns even though I'm running the 2.2 on 27 mm rims, didn't matter what the pressure was couldn't get rid of the slop. On slower sharp dips into small dipped washes with tight turns never felt settled, always felt like ready to wash out. not confidence inspiring. Will probably go back to Exiwolf which this replaced.

I really wanted to like this tire but can't get over the unsettling feeling I get when riding it. Not confidence inspiring on the front or the rear here in socal dg over hardpack. I suppose if it had something to bite into it would do better.

Exiwolf 2.4, nevegals, small block 8, panaracer fire xc.

[Aug 19, 2011]
    espy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great gripper in all conditions. Good cornering and fast roller.Long tread life.

Side wall lettering life is short lived.

I Have had and still having better experience with this tire than some of the other reviewers here. I ride the many conditions that utah has to offer. Rocky trails,multi condition climbs, powdery dust to hardpacked single track. I also ride these same tires twice a year at the Grand canyon's north rim. They have performed very consistantly in all arenas. The side lugs give me more confidence in the turns than any other tire I have ridden in the past and thats why they have been the only rubber that I have put on my bike for 2 1/2 yrs

WTB Wolverine

[Jun 16, 2011]
    colin1

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price? But I don't care about that now since I was getting flats and will have to switch to another tire

Skinny, pinch flats

I was disappointed with how skinny the tire was when I got it. I was even more disappointed when I got two pinch flats on the type of impacts that other tires have taken no problem. I was running 37lbs of pressure; perhaps what I was doing was beyond what the tire was designed for, although it is listed as XC aannndd AM on the WTB website. I was running the 2.2 Race version

Weirwolfs, Nevegals, Minion DHFs

[May 23, 2011]
    Cascadia

OVERALL
    Strength:

Does what WTB says it'll do: sticks dry to moderately damp hardpack,gravel, light mud.

a little sketchy on the road, especially when it is wet. I was hoping that these tires would provide on-road grip to and from the trails. This is ok when it is dry (you can hear them straining to grip, but that's ok), but when it is damp or wet, these become a little squirmy. This could be fixed if WTB siped the side/ center knobs like they do on the Wierwolf...

Overall, I am pleased with these tires. They do what they say they will do very well. I have tractored up trails steeper than 30 degrees no problem. They tend to pack up a bit, but most tires do. While I would like to see a siped version, I am happy with these. They do drift, but it is highly predictable (you can feel them let go slowly, it is really strange).

Great buy, durable.

Specialized Enduro, WTB Prowler SS

[Feb 22, 2011]
    rmillet

OVERALL
    Strength:

Grippy Rear, low rolling resistance.

Width, durometer, front tire performance

My chilis will reflect rear tire performance (that's what these were designed for after all). I tried on the front, but in loose over packed, they had a lot more drift as a front tire than my WTB Wolverines (although it was a predictable drift, never let loose).

As a rear, they climb well, the directional layout of the knobs seems to favor prevention of lateral slide out, and the tall side knobs are great in fast leaning turns, and off camber turns as well.

The soft durometer of these tires...I don't expect to last long at all. I have many of the side knobs ripped down to the tire cords/casing.....rocky conditions will eat these in no time.

Overall, an excellent fast rolling rear tire with decent wear in dirt IMO (rocks....not so much, hardcore riders in rocks would eat these in couple months). I will likely try something else next time....unless a harder version is available. 3 value chilis for durability, 4 for rear riding performance.

Wolverines, FireXCPros, MotoRaptors

[Jan 11, 2011]
    yerodtr

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great rolling resistance. Very quick tire. Good weight as well.

Shines the best with hard packed and mostly dry conditions.

Not the best for cornering in general. Really weak when it comes to anything loose (pine needles, leaves, and even sand).

Also, it picks up EVERYTHING. Never before have I had to stop three times per ride and pull crap out of my brakes, cassette and/or derailleur. Just weird how much stuff it picks up. Very annoying.

As much as I initially liked these, after 6 months and 600+ miles, I will not re-buy them. There is just not enough cornering grip for me. Plus, I can't stand having to clean stuff out of brakes, cassette, and derailleur every ride.

So close to being a great tire.

Switched over from Nevegals (wanted more speed and I got it).

[Oct 08, 2010]
    cdlinz

OVERALL
    Strength:

grip

weight

been using panaracer fires forever. but never liked the tendency to break away up front. the 2.24 mutano raptor is an excellent front tire and almost never loses grip up front. still satisfied with the fire for a rear tire.

panaracer fire, various hutchinson

[Mar 30, 2010]
    Finch Platte

OVERALL
    Strength:

Excellent cornering, good wear.

Haven't found any.

Wow. This tire has greatly improved my confidence in the corners & high-speed rocky sections. I was running Panaracer Fire 2.4s in the front for the cush, but these things grip like magnets witouh sacrificing too much of the rock absorption. I'm using them in the front only, and like a poster below, the Cinders in the rear. I like the cush of the Cinders on my SS in back, so I've only used the Mutanos in the front, as they don't have the huge knobs of the Cinders for the back.

Point & hang on, that's all I can say. These tires are most excellent. I saw them in Performance marked way down, so I bought one, tried it & went back & bought the rest.

Don't listen to the guy a few down who says these don't hook up in the corners. He's been smoking something. :^P

Hope these are still being made!?!

Panaracer Fires & Cinders.

[Oct 20, 2008]
    ousooner98

OVERALL
    Strength:

Fast rolling design well suited for the desert southwest. 1 flat all season which is good for this area. Great in loose over hard pack. These don't easily drift. Climbs surprisingly well. The 2.24 does really well in deep sand.

They turn into a pumpkin after one drop of water. To their credit WTB specifies that this tire is designed for dry terrain they were not exaggerating. Wait to put these on after the spring rains and before the fall downpour.

This is a good dry conditions tire. I am a heavy rider 220lb and I rode these all summer with very little wear. They corner well and don't drift as easy as the weirwolfs, or slide like the jones xr (junk). They roll fast and brake well even late braking. They are heavy, but for me its a drop in the bucket with my own weight and a 30+lb bike. Once again. NOT A TIRE FOR ANY PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN! You will ride about 20 feet in wet conditions and then head back because it is miserable. If you get caught out on the trail with these when it rains...even worse. I will give these a five chili rating because I selected them as a "desert specialist" and because WTB says on its website "Dry". Overall they could be lighter and that's worth a chili deduction.

Continental Vertical 2.3, WTB Motoraptor2.1, WTB Velociraptor 2.1, Jones XR (junk), WTB Weirwolf 2.1

[Jul 05, 2008]
    jpine93

OVERALL
    Strength:

Slow speed turning and cornering, uphill, little roll resistance, grippy through rock gardens and loose rocks.

Terrible cornering if there are no berms and the turn is more than 15 degrees. Anything over 10 mph and the front and back tire both go out.

These tires are good when going fairly straight, but on almost all turns, they wash out BIG TIME.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.