WTB MotoRaptor 2.24 Tire

WTB Moto Raptor 2.24 (52/54) :
WTB Comp 650g, WTB Race 595g, WTB Laser FR 695g.
Moto Raptor
With their open, deep tread pattern, "exo-skeleton" of linked blocks, and earth shattering, dirt stabbing abilities, the Moto's are built for aggressive riders and all rough riding conditions from wet roots and stones to hard rock and sand.

Delivering outstanding cornering, climbing, and braking traction, along with amazing multi-soil versatility, it's no wonder it's been the tire of choice for downhillers, freeriders, and trail riders around the globe.

[Nov 25, 2011]
Mtn-Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great grip when new, lightweight, good feel over rocks.

Quickly lose grip after 50% worn, thin sidewalls, no logos on one side of the 2 tires I got, seems to pinch flat tubes easier than other with tires.

Great tire when new but doesn't last as long as other tires. Rubber compound appears similar to other quality WTB tires. Grip not that great on wet or slick surfaces. Wide spaced knobs deliver good stability over sandy washes. Switched back to Mutano Raptors and all is good now. Still a great value when purchased for cheap.

WTB Mutano Raptors, Specialized The Captain, Maxxis Ignitor, WTB Velociratpor, Kenda Nevegal, others.

[Sep 19, 2011]
dragster12

OVERALL
Strength:

Works well as rear tire.
Somewhat light
Durable

I use this tire in the rear and haven't tried it in the front. I'm pretty happy with this tire as it seems like it will last as a rear tire. It has enough traction to not slip out a lot while climbing or cornering and is relatively light. 4 Chili for Overall as I'm happy with this tire, and 5 for value as I got a great deal on it.

WTB Timberwolf 2.3
Geax Saguaro 2.2
IRC TrailBear 2.25

[Aug 31, 2011]
gregnash

OVERALL
Strength:

Great gripping, large side knobs, light weight

Has a vague void when used as a front tire that causes it to washout

When coupled with another Moto Raptor this is a great tire. I had two 29" version, one wire bead that came in around 690g and one folding bead that came in at 537g. While they were together they worked and cornered beautifully, however the folding bead (rear) blew a bead and had to be replaced. Once replaced the Moto on the front did not like to be pushed hard into loose corners. This is a great rear tire and grips on just about anything here in the Northern Nevada desert, as a front it leaves some things to be wanted.

GEAX Saguaro 29, IRC Mythos,

[Mar 28, 2011]
bgkorekom

OVERALL
Strength:

Great traction,good cornering, stable on DH, durable (rocks, sand, loose, packed dirt), cost (if you find them on sale, they run around $30). Nice width for 2.24, added stability.

If you don't run the front at lower PSI they tend to wash out a lot. I keep at 30 or even less and they are great. I am 190 ponds and haven't had a problems. Here and there I will get a pinched tube, but that is usually on heavy loose rocks.

I used to run the Weirwolf in Chicago but they didn't cut it in the loose and rocky trail in Colorado.I've been running the Moto Raptors front and rear since 2006 and they have been serving me well in all kind of conditions. They last for more then one season comparing to the the other brands I've used over the years. I love technical climes and those babies grip on anything, water bars, loose rocks, boulders, etc. On downhill they are very reliable if keep the front at low pressure. I've scrapped the sidewalls down to the treads and they never gave up. In summary great all around tire. I just noticed that WTB doesn't have them in the 2011 collection and it seems I have to figure out a replacement for next year.

WTB Weirwolf, Mytos, Panaracers, Specialized

[Feb 03, 2011]
TwoHeadsBrewing

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, knobby, sticky, good mud performance.

Wears quickly on rear, rolling resistance.

I have the race version of this tire ~600g. Great tire and I really like it in the wet and muddy conditions as the tread clears quickly and provides good bite in all conditions. It's also a very light tire, which can really be felt on the climbs. I just wish the rolling resistance was lower, but that's the tradeoff with big knobs spaced far apart. Great winter/spring tire, but something else is going on for the summer.

NanoRaptor, Velociraptor, Rampage, Mountain King, Weirwolf

[Oct 20, 2010]
shanedawg

OVERALL
Strength:

great tread life, fast rolling in the race version
great tread life, and great traction in the old "laser" version

the laser version with the inner peace sidewall and the dual tread compound is no longer available

I have used the current version in 2.1 and 2.24 with the dna compound. they are ok for an xc tire but loose grip way to early dude to the rock hard rubber they use. They also pinch flat unless you run them pretty hard.

I also have some older ones that they used to sell that had inner peace sidewall protection and dual dna. A lot like the current weirwolf LT tire. This version of the tire was spectacular and would hold in corners, resist pinchflats and lasted a long time. It was a mere 700g's for a 2.24 tire. flat out rocked. Then they stopped selling it!!! DAMMIT, bring that tire back! It was awesome.

kenda, schwalbe, maxxis, specialized, panaracer, etc

[Oct 01, 2010]
mtec

OVERALL
Strength:

Great initial bite, very good (low) rolling resistance for a medium volume tire.

Good enough on dry rock, great on loam and tacky to slimy mediumpack (Read: PNW in the less wet season).

Can't handle PNW roots, even dry ones. Front end traction is unpredictable, and inconsistent at high speed.

I really WANT to make this my go-to tire for less-than-whistler riding and anything from XC to heavy XC and light FR.

Low speed is great as far as the front is concerned, but the rear breaks loose a bit too easily on the looser steep climbs.

HORRIBLE on roots, wet or dry, both front and rear. These are PNW roots, so "dry" still means a lot more moisture than roots youd find in in the Southwest or Rockies.

High speed is another different story. I had the front end wash out horribly twice on me on high speed bermed turns (with NO warning), where there was TONS of traction to be had.
Similar tires have always had predictable slide and drift characteristics to where you could do a controlled slide before letting go into a crash-like washout.

These tires give you all or nothing, all is great, when they give you nothing, its disaster.

I'll be reluctantly switching back to the Nevegals earlier in the season than I planned. They roll slower than dogsh*t, but I'd rather stay on my wheels and slide predictably.

They're a good tire, but not a PNW tire.

Nevegal 2.35, Conti Vertical & Gravity 2.3, Fire XC 2.1, Minion 2.35

[Sep 06, 2010]
jscusmcvet

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip in all conditions, strong cornering

a little bit slow roller

Great all around tire. Not the fastest roller, but I am not the fastest rider either :-) sure grip in all conditions so far, from winter mud to fairly hard pack. Does great on rocks, roots, etc... Lately I have upped the psi to about 39 in rear and 35 in front with good results, no loss in traction and a little better rolling.

This is the most aggressive tire I have used, so I don't hink I can say I have used similar tires

[Aug 10, 2010]
cafam1

OVERALL
Strength:

Great traction, very light, large volume.

The side walls are very thin and some of the knobs tend to tear in rocky conditions.

It's a great rear tire for enduro use. This is my go to tire. I have the 2.4 in the front and the 2.25 in the rear. It's a great match. The side walls are very thin. In rocky and for rocky conditions I would not recommend this tire. For all mountain conditions like the north east I would recommend this tire. It's great in the mud and has good mud shedding ability. I recommend this tire but not for heavy duty use such as light freeride or light down hill because it just does not have the durability.

[Aug 08, 2010]
Ecogeek

OVERALL
Strength:

Great all around. Great traction and rolls well for it. Lightish for tread pattern, size and traction.

Deep mud. Not the fastest rolling. Not the lightest tire you can put on the bike.

I have the Kevlar version w DNA rubber. Run it at about 35-38psi on the back of two soft-tail bikes. I weigh ~190 loaded and need plenty of traction to get up steep and loose stuff without spinning up.
I run reasonable pressures on the XC/Trail rig to protect my light wheels on long trails w long downhills and to save a bit of energy. Even climbing v steep grades at my weight with just a 2.24 tire at 38psi, I rarely lose traction.

Currently my favourite back tire. It's probably great on the front too, but I run a bigger tire there at the moment that is faster rolling.
No major signs of wear after several hundred km as a back tire on real mountain trails. But I don't lock or spin it up much.
Great climbing on rocks and dry dirt. Handles roots fine as long as they are not too smooth, diagonal and wet and as long as there's not too much wet clay on the tire.
Even good on loose over hard. I have saved quite a few stalls on steep and loose stuff this year with this tire where normally I wouldn't even bother trying to get going again and would just dismount once that far off line and without momentum. But the moto can often get moving again. Has allowed me to clean several trails I couldn't before. They clog up a bit in deep mud - but what all-rounder doesn't. Clears quite well once you are out of the mire. And you can usually get out fine.

It's not super-fast rolling, but you just plod away and get over everything.
With one of these on the back, it is rare that a failure to climb something has anything to do with available traction. Available skill/oxygen can still be a problem, but I can forget about the tire being a weak link.
This tire is just what I wanted. Something that will let me ride anything my body is capable of riding and never hold me back. Tough enough to handle sharp rocks on fast trail-type downhills too. This is a great choice. Up or down.
I liked it enough on the XC/Trail rig that I put one on the AM bike too. No probs there either, but I would rather it was more like 2.35 on the bigger bike and I'd run it softer.
If you are running a 2.1ish rear tire, are reasonably fit but not super-light and want to be able to climb stuff that you currently spin up on, then this is def worth a go on the back. If you never have traction problems anyway then there are faster rolling and lighter tires out there.
NB, as I said at the top this review is for the Kevlar version w DNA rubber. Not tried other versions or sizes (yet).

Mythos. Serac.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.