WTB Dissent 2.5 Tire

The Dissent is a mean DH/Freeride that feeds on those in loose, rough trails in all conditions.

[Apr 29, 2011]
fltrucker420

OVERALL
Strength:

Uber grip on the corners,little rolling resistance

whine like a semi at high speeds, heavy

well worth the money if you're looking for serious DH tires

Maxis Trail Bear

[Feb 03, 2011]
R2ana

OVERALL
Strength:

This Review is For the Dissent 2.3~
-Cheap
-Rubber lasts long and is very sticky
-Tread pattern is surprisingly good
-No probs with flats or snakebites

-Failed to mount ghetto tubeless
-Too good for the price

Awesome friggin' tire. I need a frame that can take up to 2.5s, because I would run these in a heartbeat!

alot

[Jul 16, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

On hardpack trails, this tire will not slip out at all. The best tire I have ever ridden on this type of terrain. Rolling Resistance and weight are not horrible for a 2.5" tire.

When the trail gets rocky and loose, the Dissent's performance drops sharply. But how many tires can grip well on that?

If you ride on hardpack, well maintained trails, there is no better tire.

WTB Prowler MX, Maxxis Minion, Kenda Nevegal

[Feb 19, 2009]
R-M-R

OVERALL
Strength:

- Incredible traction on hardpack
- Keeps on gripping as it's pushed into drifting
- Low rolling resistance
- High volume (same size as a 2.7" Minion)

- Poor traction on loose terrain
- Heavy (over 1400g)

Note: I'm using the 2.5" Team DH version.

This is the best hardpack tire I've used, but its performance drops off sharply when it's taken out of its element.

Compared to my "reference tire", Maxxis' Minion in Slow Reezay (40a) compound, the Dissent has more traction and, most impressively, drifts unbelievably well. When it finally starts to slide, there's still plenty of traction left, so you can keep pushing without fear of things suddenly getting scary.

Like most downhill tires, the Dissent has a "dead zone" between the centre lugs and the side lugs, meaning that cornering at intermediate lean angles places the contact patch between the rows of lugs. This effect is less severe with the Dissent than with something like a Maxxis High Roller, which makes the Dissent a good choice for less skilled riders and provides a pleasantly relaxed experience for advanced riders (i.e. you don't have to be constantly thinking about leaning the bike over).

Traction on loose gravel and soft dirt is the Dissent's weakness. The broad and shallow knobs rely on friction, rather than digging into the dirt, to provide traction and aren't up to the task when the trail isn't in top condition.

I can't say much about flat resistance or sidewall strength, since I rarely have problems with either. The durability of the rubber seems to be average or slightly below average for a soft compound, but the good news is that it wears progressively, rather than falling apart in large chunks.

The Dissent is a one trick pony, but it does that trick better than anything else on the market. If you want more versatility, I suggest the Minion, which is solid in everything from hardpack to light mud.

In the past few years, I've used over 60 tires.

[Jan 11, 2009]
BullittJim

OVERALL
Strength:

Tread pattern is good, grips pretty well.

Very thin, I have pinch flatted four times, three on the rear and once up front, filled up at 30psi. It has popped three maxxis DH tubes, and one pana racer DH tube. The tire also seems like it roles over on itself pretty bad as well, probably due to the thin sidewalls. (And these are the wire bead DH ones).

Pulling these things off after about four rides, three of which have resulted in pinch flats. Luckily I got a good deal so its not a big loss to learn these tires are absolutely not worth the pita they have become.

Kenda nevegal, maxxis high roller.

[Jun 30, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Roles exceptionally well.... Side-Walls grip well on concrete and hard-pack trail, as well as grass, and small dirt jumps.... Because the knobs are shorter on top, and the tire is in general wider.. it makes a great Urban assault front tire...

Weight I suppose.... I have Free Ride bike... SO... What do you want for your money.... !!! If I want to ride free ride.. Im going to have to peddle... Its that simple...

Im a mixture of riding experiences.. I dont always get a chance to get to the trail... It requires a Half hour drive and a day planned.. Thier is another day trail, I can ride to.. ITs about 30 minutes away by bike.. but I dont always need or want that... Im an urban Free-Rider... I look for my experiences with in the yards, and alleys, and parks, and curbs of the small town of 35'000 that I live in... and I can find quit allot to enjoy myself and stay occupied.. I spend allot of time jumping back-and -forth on concrete... With that in-mind.. The tire is Wonderful.... Better then the 2.4 MotoRaptor for such things... It just corners wonderfully and its flatter and wider, and smoother on the street when Im bouncing around looking for things to jump of off, or onto.. or through or around...
For the more serious trails.. I think I would buy a Motorapter for the front because of the center grip for loose mud and gravel.... Yet.. I dont really know how well this tire works in serious downhill trailing in NorthWest Washington conditions...
Its great for urban though.... and in-town loose and hard pack experiences...

WTB 2.4 MotoRaptor... ... A marvelous all purpose front tire, that I had a hard time giving up.....

[Jun 26, 2008]
giantsaam

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip in corners, braking grip, low rolling resistance, super grippy rubber

Heavy, or weak if you get the single ply version

This is a review of the heavy duty casing as I had destroyed the single ply version in a little under a month on regular trail riding. This is a downhill tire and it does very well at that it is fast, sticky, and it hugs corners very well. The only downside to this product is the weight but what "Downhill" tire isn't. Everyone needs to get off the lightweight train buy the big bags and huck your meat.

WTB prowler mx, Weirwolf lt, Maxxis minion, Kenda nevegal, Intense world cup, and about every other big bag tire

[Jun 09, 2008]
slimat99

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls fast, weight, corners ok, climbes ok

Pinch flats!!!!! Brakes poorly

THis is a review for the DH race, the heavy DH version may be a great tire, but my main complaint is the DH race pinches very easily! This tire also brakes poorly. I'm some what out of control with this tire when braking hard for a tight corner. This tire corners pretty well, but it's tough to keep control when entering corners. It rolls very well, and very fast, but when you need to brake, good luck! Don't buy the DH race if you ride hard, you will flat over and over. I use a 1.5mm thick tube, which negates the weight savings of this light tire, and I'm still pinching over and over. I'm going back to two ply, with a lighter tube and over all weight will be about the same. If you race DH, you may be able to sprint faster with this tire, but good luck finishing with out pinching. May be this would be a good tire for buffed out DH runs with no rocks. Oh yeah, my rear tire is almost trashed already and it only has 10 rides on it at the most. Buy something else, or go with the two ply version and maybe you will be more happy with them than me.

tons of DH tires and light cassing fatties

[Aug 12, 2007]
TheGiggler

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling, good traction, big contact patch

Race version - rear tire lasted 3 days!

Nice tire in general but didnt last 3 days in Whistler. I was running the lighter version (still over 900grams each!) I have run WTB folding race tires on a number of bikes for a long time and never seen one cut up as bad or as fast as this. I got 5 or so punctures and cuts in between the center and side tread blocks. Luckily Stans kept me from the long walk down the hill at W. I have a Dissent on the front, and although it had no cuts the tread was already showing signs of heavy wear.

Lots of WTB, Maxxis, Spec, IRC, Ritchie... ya know a lot of em over the past 25 years

[Jul 23, 2007]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast rolling for a tire this big.

None found yet.

The downhill, jumps, and stunts are my focus, but I climb what I ride down. So, this is a review of the folding bead, which I bought for the weight savings.

These tires maintain momentum and roll well, especially for a sticky compound. No need for a dual tread compound with these; the rubber seems to roll just as well as a harder compound, and there's no compromise with traction on wood stunts, log rides, etc.

I deflate to about 30 psi for the descent, and no pinch flats yet (including overshot trannys to flat, 4' wheelie drops to flat, and high speed rocky descents).

They may not do quite as well as the Nevegals in loose/dusty conditions (maybe the large and closely spaced knobs "surf" a little more, rather than dig in), but not a major complaint. The positive traits far outweigh this.

These are my new "all around" tires, front and rear.

Kenda Nevegal 2.5, Panaracer Fire FR 2.4, Maxxis High Roller 2.5, Kenda Telonix 2.4.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.