Tioga Psycho Genius Tire

Inspired byThe cornering prowess ofThe iconicTioga Psycho line ofTires and infused with an innovative approachTo knob functionality.The Psycho Genius isThe intelligent choice forTechnicalTrails. Mag60 Casing = 60Thread count casing incorporating unique rubberTexture on its sidewalls for added strength and cut resistance while retaining its suppleness Compound rubber Synergy dual-tread, matchedTo maximize strengths ofThe specific rubber compound with intended knob functionality

[Jun 06, 2013]
Matrim

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks cool, cool name, seats tubeless well, holds air well on my Stans ZTR Crest 29rs.

Came with my Wheels/Chris King hub setup.

I am only giving these 1 chili b/c the 4.x overall that they have here is ridiculous. These are worse than useless when it is wet out, I have tried it down to 19 psi tubeless, still slick as ice when wet on rocks and roots, you know when you need the traction.........

Spots I used to make all the time on my Stans "The Raven" I now no longer trust my bike to stay under me. If you only ride the dry trails WHEN it is dry they will be ok. If you like to get out and ride all the time and try different trails and variety, DO NOT get these.

Do not get unless you are only going to ride on dry trails in dry conditions. Dangerous on wet. I've tried them for over 3 weeks now different PSIs, always the same.

Panaracer XC pro, Michelin Wild Race'r, Stans The raven

[Mar 07, 2013]
HHMTB

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent, predictable grip with lots of warning and controllability if it lets go. Wears well and rolls well. No wobbles in the carcass.

Is TRUE TO SIZE! (looking at you WTB and Maxxis) A 2.3 Psycho Genius actually measures 2.3 at the tread, with the casing being slightly smaller, when mounted on a 24mm external width rim. This gives a good amount of volume for trail conformance. I'm tired of manufacturers that label a 2.1 tire "2.3" to trick us out of money. Buy a quality ruler and use it, guys.

Light-ish for its size but still durable. Granted I only run it on the front, but there's hardly any apparent wear after several hundred miles and no missing lugs. I've ping ponged off lots of jagged rocks without issue. No issues mounting tubeless.

Not quite knobby enough for really nasty, loose, steep stuff. Hans Dampf is better in this respect.

Definitely the most pleasantly surprising purchase I had in the last year. I was expecting decent performance, but got excellent performance. I have this on my light AM/Trail bike and it is perfect. On maintained trails this tire rails turns well. I would go a little burlier if you're doing bigger drops or steep loose stuff.

Hans Dampf 2.35, Motoraptor 2.4 (the old correctly sized one), Mutanoraptor 2.4 (actually a 2.1), Highroller 2.5 (actually a 2.3), Geax Sturdy, Advantage 2.4, Ardent 2.4, Telonix 2.4, Wolverine 2.2, Crossmark 2.25, Michelin Wildrockr 2.25, Nevegal 2.35, Minion DHF 2.5 (actually a 2.3)

Lots more that are old or out of production.

[Feb 20, 2013]
Robert Oslin

OVERALL
Strength:

grippy, great for climbing rock shelves, minimal leakage (UST, no sealant)

a bit heavy (but UST so what do you expect)

I do a lot of really technical AM riding here in Texas and my prior tire (Maxxis Ranchero) was slipping when trying to climb technical rock shelves. I needed a UST tire with more grip and decided to try swap out the Ranchero for the PG (running Ignitor up front). This tire met and exceeded my expectations. I really notice the grip when climbing rock shelves and it holds air better than the Ranchero (which is still a great tire BTW). Grip is also impressive during high speed cornering, and while not as fast rolling as my Bonty XR0, it's no poker either. I'm seriously considering swapping out my front for a PG and running PG/PG for gnarly AM riding and XR0/XR0 for XC type riding.

Maxxis Ignitor and Ranchero, Bonty XR0, Panaracer and Mythos

[Aug 04, 2012]
GargoyleUSMC

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip, cornering.

None yet

Bought one to run on the rear which replaced a Panaracer Fire XC Pro. Huge difference! Lots more grip, especially in a straight line. I like the more rounded profile which seems to help cornering and control on the trail. Trails here are rooty and rocky with some packed clay. No issues at all and seems to handle the roots better as well, even off-camber.

Panaracer Fire XC Pro

[Jun 30, 2012]
Roadking1962

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong sidewalls, relatively light. Great all around tire.

Can break free when it's wet.

Great all around tire. No tire is perfect for all conditions but this one is close. Like it better than the Bontrager XR4s and multiple Nevagels I tried. This tire rolls a lot easier and handles better in the corners. Reasonable priced too for a high-end tire.

[Jun 08, 2012]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip, Weight, performance

Thin Sidewall

Replaced the stock tires on my Trek hardtail with these, and after 300 miles on these I am glad I did. It took me a little while to build up my confidence with these tires, as the stock ones sucked. With each ride my confidence grows, my cornering, climbs and downhill all got faster, because the grip with these tires are insane. These tires are the best part of my mountain thus far.

[Jun 07, 2012]
Senor StrongBad

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolling braking cornering

roots and wet

I dropped some weight and rolling resistance switching to these from my nevegals. They are much faster in a straight line and grip great in a straight line as well. They corner almost as well. I have too lean into the curve more for it to feel right. I am running them tubeless even though they are not the UST version and have had no problems. I was running the front and back in different directions which helped in breaking and climbing I thought but when I switched the back to face the same way as the front they started to climb and decend better. I did have to pump them up 5 psi more which was strange to me but the results are noticeable. They seem to be wearing out faster then I woudl like but for the price and for how long I like riding tires before buying new ones, it will be long enough.

I found they out perfromed all my old tires in the leaves this fall. I think the triangle design helps them to cut through to the dirt below.

FWIW - I am running 2.3's front and back on a 5.5" travel trail bike. I ride hardpaked clay and dirt. There are lots and lots of roots on my local trails.

[Apr 02, 2012]
snowboy76

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip
Durable
Cost

Not for weight weenies

Got these to replace thy Bonty XDX's that came with my bike. Where I ride (Cuyuna) grip and durability trump over weight. Based on the reviews here and elsewhere, these seemed to be the ticket. Also, I find the trend toward $80-$90 "normal" (non-race) mountain bike tires to be ridiculous, so the price of $40 a tire was good.

So far, the Tioga PsyGen has delivered in spaces. The grip is great through the Cuyuna Gold, which is to be expected. (Please note: the Cuyuna Gold hardpack is, even dry, especially grippy. Its in its slightly damp "hero dirt" phase, so pretty much anything this side of slick would be grippy.) When the trail turns to scree, rock slabs, or sand these tires seem to still grip fine. Even at speed on long downhills they seem to hold on far past the point you would expect. Since we do not ride wet trails in Minnesota, I can not comment on the wet grip abilities of these tires.

They appear to be very durable as well. No slashes or even nicks from sharp iron ore rocks. Many a far more expensive have lost to the shards that litter the trails. To have a "value" tire that holds up this well is encouraging.

About the only thing I have against them is that for weight weenies they might be a bit portly. But just don't have that second cupcake before the ride and you make up the difference.

In conclusion, I'm finding that the Psycho Genius' are doing everything I expected them to do and more. They may not have the marketing that some other tires from a larger manufacturer have, but they put their effort where it counts: where the tire meets the trail.

I think the value is 5 Chilies and I'm giving them a 4 Chili overall rating for now. As I ride more and conditions change that might change.

Bonty XDX

[Mar 28, 2012]
Tzvia

OVERALL
Strength:

So far, it's been a durable tire. I think I've been riding close to a year on the 2.1 in front and it still looks in good shape. Rolling resistance is really low and it feels lighter than its weight. I plan on getting another for the back once my Captain tire is done so I can only comment on its use up front. I've ridden it in the rocky, sandy and slightly damp soil of Bend and our dry lose over hardpack and bottomless sand of So Cal and it works just fine in both. Easy to steer and pick a line, it almost seems to read my mind. It replaced a very stable (but slow) Eskar 2.3 and I don't feel that I've lost much cornering ability or traction but it rolls so much smoother. I'm running it converted to tubeless with the Gorilla tape method and it setup without an issue and has not burped once. It's just about everything I am looking for in an all around trail tire.

Yea, no direction indicator. I actually rode it for about a month backwards (wasn't bad). Would prefer having a 2.0 size for the rear and a 2.2 up front instead of the 2.1 or 2.3 size choice for general trail riding.

Good tires. Reasonable weight, so far durable. Light feeling flickable tire that fits my riding style. Does well in lose over hard, hardpack, deep sand, rocky and damp but not muddy conditions. Converts to tubeless without an issue. Can be had for a reasonable cost. As long as I keep my ears open for that scratching sound of the tire at it's limit and adjust accordingly there are no surprises; cornering grip is good but not the same as the 2.3 Eskar it replaced. But I knew that going in- I was looking for a more agile tire. I've spent much more on tires that were no better and some that were worse. An excellent value that would get 5 chilis if they came in 2.0 and 2.2 size instead of 2.1 or 2.3 as my trail riding needs lean more towards general trails and flowy singletrack and not the more aggressive all mountain type riding.

Kenda Nevegals, Spec Eskar, Captain Control and SWorks, WTB Werewolf Race, Wolverine.

[Feb 22, 2012]
mevadus

OVERALL
Strength:

I haven't flatted on them yet.

I thought this tire was going to be great due to all the good reviews it has received. It might be the the type of riding I am doing, but after only a few months of riding in Balm Boyette, this tire is pretty much shredded. The knobbies have worn off, there are deep gouges in the tire, and I don't expect it to last much longer.

I won't be purchasing this tire again.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.